• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm looking at getting the big bad 10ton. . .

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
hurstssamx said:
all the same 785CID V-8. . . but i'm sure your thinking i'm some " stupid kid " !

Mike
No, I think someone told you these trucks had a V903 in them, and you believed them. So, I asked two simple, polite questions - and had you taken a few moments to research and find the answers to these questions, you'd have learned some things to consider hard before undertaking the project. The easiest, and least expensive, part of a project is doing the research. When the one-ton transmission from the truck is hanging on a hoist is not the time to think "oh, how am I going to power the front axle?"

As I mentioned earlier - I own one of these, and have driven and worked on it a good bit - evidently you have yet to make your purchase. One would think it would have been a clue to you that you were misinformed when someone says "I've got one of these, and it doesn't have a V903." Yes, indeed someone should get themselves educated on some engine knowledge - I've got a lot to learn myself - but when it comes to the engine in the ten-ton, I'm ahead of you.

I was nothing but polite - I tried to point you in a direction that you would learn for yourself that you were mistaken. Your resposnse seems to be a rant. I know a guy in Milwaukee he is really up on these, and have a couple of friends in the Madison area very knowledgable about them as well.

When you finish your project, you may well know more about the ten-ton than I do - but right now I am pretty confident I have the upper hand on first hand knowledge - and also every manual the government published on these, as well as a lot of engineering data from Mack.

You can get a lot of help and information from the guys here - including me. I don't think you are a "stupid kid" - and I assure you that you don't need to think I don't know what the heck I am talking about regarding American 6x6s.

Regards,
David Doyle

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
CUCVFAN said:
Were no trucks re-powered with the 903?
No. The article you are referring to by Philip Francis, and is on page 10 of MVM82 seven years ago. He says that the truck had a "903 cid Cummins V-8".

That information is not correct.

Regards,
David Doyle

hurstssamx

Banned
This Truck has So Much to offer. . . if people would quit Being Cheap and set it up the right way. . .

My dad has a land scaping & excavating company he has built many army truck's, he has a fleet of 5 truck's that he updated and won't get rid of. . .

Army Fleet:
1-10 ton with a KT-600 Cummins, 18spd DOD twinstick, and 16.00R24 28ply tires 45mph.

2-5ton M818's 315hp mack engine's,7spd OD mack trans, and 12R24.5 16ply tires dualed 68mph.

2-2.5 ton M35's 8.3L cummins diesel's,6spd OD,and 11.00R20 16ply tires . 66mph.

The 2.5t's are maxed at 68mph the 5T's could be ran out 70-72mph but he goverened them down. . . the 5T's are ste at 68mph the 2.5T's are set at 66mph. . .all 5 trucks have 10 tires Non of them are super singled. . .

If i hadn't had a falling out with him I would have went to him with this swap as he has done one simliar to it. . .

18spd DOD twinstick: 9spd with .76:1 OD + 2spd auxy with .85:1 OD = .61:1 final OD. . . and yes it dose have 3 live axles he got a T-case frome HD crane so it full time 6wd rather 10-WD !
with in put 2,000rpm out put 2,780rpm. . . yea you hit 3 gear boxes but the Drive shafts hit the diffs at 2,780Rpm . . . the KT will run 2000rpm all day long even hit 2150 for a short burst here and there. . .How come he didn't catch any grief but i do ? ? ? Cause he's 55 and only 25 ?

Now is the old V-300 going to hold 2780rpm ? as there is no OD in the quadraplex it's 1:1 in 20th gear. . .

Mike

hurstssamx

Banned
now from what i have seen the M123's production run was 1955-1969 ?

How come there are all these 1970's M123's than ? oshkosh equipment had 3 M123's 2 1970's and 1 1972. . .

yes i do want power to all 3 axles my old mans dose. . .

Mike. . .

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Too bad about the strained relationship; I'd love to see pics of the repowered and re-trannied deuces.

jh1990

Hurtssamx are you planning on using this truck on or off road? Just wondering because I think the 10 tonners are about a foot over width. Then again I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I might have missed this part, by why are you doing this massive repower? If your only using it as a tow rig then why not just stay with standard drive train? worked for the U.S. military, eh?

hurstssamx

Banned
jh1990 said:
Hurtssamx are you planning on using this truck on or off road? Just wondering because I think the 10 tonners are about a foot over width. Then again I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I might have missed this part, by why are you doing this massive repower? If your only using it as a tow rig then why not just stay with standard drive train? worked for the U.S. military, eh?
This truck is over width it Don't bother me non just gotta run over load tag's with over size permit's. . .truck is going to be a tow RIG when the yahoo's barrie there 25. ton's and 5 ton's. . . I'm the pull out man. . .other wise it's a show and shine truck. . . I wanted a huge truck with the huge Cummins 1150CID I-6 turbo diesel this truck is tougher than the V-300 so why not put an engine in it that will push the truck up to her maximium . . . isn't the army saying " be all you can be "

Anywho I want this truck cause it's COoL I want this engine cause its HUGE so i'm uniting 2 loves ! ! ! pluse I am getting a killer deal on the KT-600. . .

I want what I want ! so guy it's my money its my labor its My truck ! I gotta drive it !can't say it any simpler. . .
leave it the way she was is ok if ok is good enough for you. . . why settle for good enough or great when i can have perfection. . .

Mike

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
hurstssamx said:
now from what i have seen the M123's production run was 1955-1969 ?

How come there are all these 1970's M123's than ? oshkosh equipment had 3 M123's 2 1970's and 1 1972. . .

yes i do want power to all 3 axles my old mans dose. . .

Mike. . .
Initial Mack production spanned 1955 through 1957, per Mack. These trucks were gassers, M123, M123C and M123D. In June 1965 Consolidated Diesel Electric was contracted to build 1848 of the ten-ton tractor, now with Cummins V8-300 power. CONDEC was given a second contract in June of 1967, this time for 1340 trucks. Both of these contracts took several years to complete, and these were all M123A1C trucks. In June of 1968 Mack was given a contract to construct 420 M123A1C trucks. Concurrently with this, Mack was also contracted to rebuild 210 of the gassers with the dual rear winches to V8-300 power. This is why diesel, dual winch models are so scarce. According to Mack records, these conversions were made in 1969. I suspect that someone has picked up on the conversion date as a production cease date.

HTH,
David

hurstssamx

Banned
SO they can be had as new as about 1978 when the M911 came out or there about's ?
the M-911 now there is OOGLY ! truck i don't like the look of it at all. . . tis why i want the M123. . . it don't have to be a diesel truck or have an engine at all a Rolling shell is fine. . .I got the power plant i want all planned out. . .

Mike. . .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, what a great thread! Welcome Mike and best of luck on your endeavor, can't wait to see pics. It is a little bit of a shame to mod such a rare truck but you're the one buying the truck and paying the bills so I say go for it. I'm sure AM Generals trucks will go up in value a bit. Around these parts they use stock 10Ts to move houses, you should be able to move warehouses and at 70 MPH too! Hey, at least it's not an M125!

jwaller

hurstssamx said:
SO they can be had as new as about 1978 when the M911 came out or there about's ?
the M-911 now there is OOGLY ! truck i don't like the look of it at all. . . tis why i want the M123. . . it don't have to be a diesel truck or have an engine at all a Rolling shell is fine. . .I got the power plant i want all planned out. . .

Mike. . .
When you yank all the std running gear out of your truck would you mind selling it to me? when I find my 10T I'd like to have some spare parts for it. I hate when ppl do a conversion and trash all the good parts they take out. esp when it's vehicle that is this rare.

123mack

Can 1400X24 "crane service" or heavy equipment tires be safely used on a M123 since the top speed is only about 41 mph? I can get good used ones for about 100.00

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
hurstssamx said:
Mike. . .
I don't think that recently - and I don't have my records in front of me. There was a truck in between the M123A1C and the M911, specifically, the M746. Procurement of the 123 was stopped in favor of the 746. Something like 200 of them were built by Ward LaFrance before the government pulled the plug on the MBT-70 project, which the M746/M747 was to support. The M747 remained in production, and was used with the M911....which was procured after some blowing in the breeze, as was the tank situation, for a few years.

DD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks