• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm looking at getting the big bad 10ton. . .

JasonS

I followed your post on the stovebolt site. Sounds like a great project. A KT is a lot of engine. How much longer is it than an 855 cummins? You seem to have gotten one for a good price at $7500. Most of the ebay sellers ask that much for a core. I for one, would still be interested in hearing of your progress.

hurstssamx

Banned
JasonS said:
I followed your post on the stovebolt site. Sounds like a great project. A KT is a lot of engine. How much longer is it than an 855 cummins? You seem to have gotten one for a good price at $7500. Most of the ebay sellers ask that much for a core. I for one, would still be interested in hearing of your progress.
Yea $7,500 was heck of a deal i also swapped him a crated 903 I had for it. . .
still a deal I'm not too sure on the Difference in length. . . But i think will fit just fine if it get's tight I'll move it back ward . . . instead of stretching the hood and fender's I would rather redo the fire wall and floor pan than alter the Visual apearence outside. . .I wouldn't want to wreck that as I love how it look's. . .

Mike

hurstssamx

Banned
jeli said:
spicergear said:
Sure makes the D7 I used to haul look small.
is it me or the view But that outer rear tire look's Bald. . .

the Tire's i been looking at look like a skid steer tread/industrial tractor Lug design they make it in heavy ply for heavy haul truck's and off highway dump truck's in 16.00-24's. . .they are DOT aproved only good till 45mph tho and simex makes N-38 Looks like a Mud tire in 14.00-24 20ply and 24ply those will run 55mph. . . whats the chances of really running any faster ? slim to non i think. . .

Mike

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The M911 also used the 14.00-24 20-ply tire - although a different tread pattern, these should be available reasonably on the surplus market, should you chose to go that route.

A concern would be how many RPMs can the front axle and steering knuckle can stand. The axles under the ten ton are duplicates of the ones under the WWII-era Mack NO - which had a top speed of something like 32 MPH. Duplicate as in the same part numbers. I am certain that the Mack engineers did not envision the kinds of revolutions you do - and loosing a tire/wheel/hub/knuckle assembly would make for a very bad day - not only for you, but for anyone else on the road in a half-mile radius.

The weak link in the diesel ten ton is not the V8-300 Cummins, but the triple reduction front axle.

DD

dma251

Hmmm.... Any word yet on powering that front axle? Hurstssamx seems to be doing a little duckin' and dodgin' around that question.....

Seriously - Is there any reasonably straightforward way to accomplish that? It would seem to me to be a total waste to do a project like this and delete the front wheel drive...

DMgunn

Not only that, but for someone who claims to have done all the research, he hasn't even checked dimensions yet??

Anyone who's done a drivetrain swap knows that the FIRST thing on the list is to take measurements to verify that the proposed drivetrain will actually fit into the project vehicle. Steering shaft interference and front axle/driveshaft clearance problems can be very difficult to solve, if a safe and high-quality end result is desired.

dma251

DMgunn said:
Steering shaft interference and front axle/driveshaft clearance problems can be very difficult to solve, if a safe and high-quality end result is desired.
Now lets not jump to conclusions, here... At this point there is no reason to assume that those are the desired end-results. rofl

hurstssamx

Banned
I was doing some measuring the 10 ton ain't any bigger than the 5ton with super single's. . . I just got back form oshkosh got to do a side by side comparison. . .

there is Plenty of room for the KT top to bottom won't have any issues with the front diff or steering whitch is cool. . . front to back is going to get tight but i think it'll go fine. . .

the stock V-300 air filteration system will have to removed completely it ain't going to flow enough for the KT-635. . . So i was right i'll have to run the dual side mount Air filteration canister's. . .

Now shoe horning in the road ranger 13spd ain't going to be and issue going to have fab up some custom mount's. . .

I got to find transfer case but i got an Idea but how much room i got to work with, What I may do is sneak up to winter wisconsin take some photo's of the Old man's 10 ton Rig and do some measuring He has a KT-600 in his with a 9spd fuller, with a spicer 2 spd OD auxy i think it's a spicer anyhow. . . Now is when I wished he would talk to me. . .

Mike

hurstssamx

Banned
dma251 said:
Hmmm.... Any word yet on powering that front axle? Hurstssamx seems to be doing a little duckin' and dodgin' around that question.....

Seriously - Is there any reasonably straightforward way to accomplish that? It would seem to me to be a total waste to do a project like this and delete the front wheel drive...

hurstssamx
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 - 11:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hurstssamx wrote:
now from what i have seen the M123's production run was 1955-1969 ?

How come there are all these 1970's M123's than ? oshkosh equipment had 3 M123's 2 1970's and 1 1972. . .

yes i do want power to all 3 axles my old mans dose. . .

Mike. . .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I answered your question right here ^ can't read ? or you just stupid dude ? I'm sure mommy din't teach you about reading but there are these thing's called letters you put them in centain oders and they from thing's called words whitch than in turn make sentences whitch form phrazes and or paragraph's. . . .But i'm sure you knew that ! ! !

:lol: :lol: rofl :lol: :lol: ! ! ! ! !

Mike

54reo

I usually don't get in the middle of things like this....

but...

WOW!

Should we get a grammar and a spell checker for posts?

DMgunn

I am glad to hear that you know about letters and words. There are also these things called "grammar", "punctuation", and "spelling", none of which you have been able to use properly. You and your attitude are not going to make any friends here.

The person you are attempting to insult (if he would actually take you seriously) has built some of the highest-quality MV projects out there. You, on the other hand, have done nothing but talk. Yet you still haven't answered his question of "How"?

hurstssamx

Banned
DDoyle said:
The M911 also used the 14.00-24 20-ply tire - although a different tread pattern, these should be available reasonably on the surplus market, should you chose to go that route.

A concern would be how many RPMs can the front axle and steering knuckle can stand. The axles under the ten ton are duplicates of the ones under the WWII-era Mack NO - which had a top speed of something like 32 MPH. Duplicate as in the same part numbers. I am certain that the Mack engineers did not envision the kinds of revolutions you do - and loosing a tire/wheel/hub/knuckle assembly would make for a very bad day - not only for you, but for anyone else on the road in a half-mile radius.

The weak link in the diesel ten ton is not the V8-300 Cummins, but the triple reduction front axle.

DD
My dad did the same engine trans plant i am. . . He how ever ran a completely different Gear box. . .
His front axle is holding up just fine. . . runs the truck 45mph puts about 1,500 - 2,500 miles a year on it !

his engine is a stock KT-600,
KT-stage3: 600hp@2,100rpm and 1,650tq@1200rpm.9spd OD .76:1 2spd OD .85:1 so his final OD is .61:1 engine speed at 2,000rpm = 2,780rpm. . .

2,780/10.11=274.97rpm

the KT i got is running a bit more power,
KT-Cummins i have : 635.2hp@2150rpm 1735.6tq@1375rpm. Road ranger 13psd OD .62:1 engine speed at 2,000rpm=2760rpm. . .

2,760/10.11=272.99

hurstssamx

Banned
DMgunn said:
I am glad to hear that you know about letters and words. There are also these things called "grammar", "punctuation", and "spelling", none of which you have been able to use properly. You and your attitude are not going to make any friends here.

The person you are attempting to insult (if he would actually take you seriously) has built some of the highest-quality MV projects out there. You, on the other hand, have done nothing but talk. Yet you still haven't answered his question of "How"?
I'm sure i would have to find a transfer case from an off road crane or some thing. . .

I'm sure they don't make a direct bolt up T-case so I would have get a devioced transfer case and have drive shaft made ?. . .

I ain't to make friend's I simpley want to know if a take Engine X put it in truck A with transmission B what would i run into ?

But i got more of th OMG ! ! ! Alter an out dated relic to make it better than it was how dare you response. . . .I was looking more for well if your using the engine with this transmission than your going to need transfercase D but you could use T-case G names model part number's. . . thing that one may run into

so point me in the right direction or let me BE ! ! !

Mike

dma251

hurstssamx said:
I answered your question right here ^ can't read ? or you just stupid dude ? I'm sure mommy din't teach you about reading but there are these thing's called letters you put them in centain oders and they from thing's called words whitch than in turn make sentences whitch form phrazes and or paragraph's. . . .But i'm sure you knew that ! ! !
Mike

Here's my count so far -

8 typos and at least 10 grammer/capitalization offenses in one big run-on sentence.

Go ahead, give me some more of your homebrew spelling lessons.

Mike- I think where this thread went wrong was that you failed to recognize the depth of the pool you chose to go swimming in. People here are into MILITARY TRUCKS. Not Pimp-Trucks. If you want advice, you would have been better off to just ask your swap question, and leave all your opinions about this engine vs. that engine and diamond-tuck black velvet interiors at the door. If there is one thing I've figured out about forums on the internet it's this. You are either asking for advice, or giving it. Don't ask for it, and then argue with the person giving it.

Anyway, like I said before, good luck with your project.

Oh yeah, since you brought up my Momma, I feel pretty justified in saying that I am beginning to understand why you and pops aren't on such good terms...
Let me guess - you knew it all, and he just "dinnent unnerstand...." [thumbzup]