• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive camper/utiliy box for m35a2

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
here is an idea for the gap between the cab and the camper you could mount 2 spares on something similar to the 5 ton rack.

You would still keep the storage below that rack. you then could ditch the spare tire carrier and mount another fuel tank there giving 100 gallons of fuel. and you could even keep the bed tank (I dont know how big that is.)

I think 2 spares there would fill that gap nicley and still have some storage. and if you blow a set of duals while the zombies are out you don't need a tire shop untill you blow the third tire.
Nice thoughts [thumbzup]

Although, in regard to the SPARES.... Under the loads carried on this particular rig, there are already FOUR spares on the ground as well. Each of the rear duals could be stripped down to singles and still have mobility. I would dedicate that space to something that would carry additional provisions or other necessary equipment/supplies. IMHO.

Last edited:

skidder

WELL troops ,you have done a great job of giving me in site on my next project. I got a nice slide in camper for nodda . I don't know if i want to put the slide in camper in a 105 A2 trailor or on the duce.? You guys have done well on the BUG-OUT / Zombie , duce ALL we need is a place to meet at an set up camp /compound with a good sourse water an fire wood ... skidder

I panted the generator and started to mount it in the spare tire location. But i got tired so its just hanging there on the engine hoist until Monday. Also installed the hood and spice rack over stove after painting them. Have not decide what to do with the gap behind the cab. may enclose it for storage. Unclemikey could you post a pic of what you did with yours? Thanks

Have a great week
John

Attachments

mightymanx

I thoughty about putting my generator there but I never could get over the idea that my generator would be the very first thing to take a bath when it gets wet/muddy.

timass1

That gen does look pretty nice there, you might think about making a bigger muffler those usually run pretty loud... The build is looking really nice and looks like your keeping a good pace.

unclemikey

Hey John, Boy are you getting it done [thumbzup]. Per your request, two points. #1. In reguards to the generator, you may not have to hard enclose the unit. I think it is better to, but with mine I just got a cover for the unit. Most of the time it is just mud and crud to keep off the unit. It has worked very well and is easy to get to to work on when needed. You can get a generator cover on E-bay, but mine is just a Bar-B-Q cover from Wal Mark, $ 5.00. #2 The gap between the camper and cab on mine is filled with extra tanks. I have a tank I found at Smith & Edwards (Utah) that fit the Deuce bed as it was made for it. Carriers 75 Gals. On top of that tank I made a rask that holds 8 jerry cans, with a cargo box in the center section that I can get to from the inside of the camper, If I remove the box I can carry 10 jerry cans. 40 or 50 gals. Never believe in being short of fuel. Better to have a tank even if not being used than not to have the option. Also have two jerry cans on the back of the camper and two mounted on a new bumper mod I just built. Sorry don't have any pics of that as yet, will post soon. As if that is not enough, I removed the driver side running board and cargo box and replaced it with a 50 gal step tank ( work in progress ). I know it is way over kill, but the total is 235/245 gals. That does not count the trailer ( MKT-90 Cargo ) that has 3 more jerry cans and a 50 gal extra tank. Never can tell how far you may have to go to get away from them Zombies. Remember, some of these tanks will be used for gas for the generator and motorcycle. Hope this helps.

P.S. If I did not have the tanks, I really like the idea of the mod bed with two spares tires mounted in the gap. Some good thinking going on there!

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Unclemikey. I was thinking about the Jerry can rack my self. I think that's the way I will go. I love the step tank you put on. With all the storage along side of the camper you don't need that small box. Good thinking. If only there was a place to move the battery's you could put one on both sides.

Because I own an auto repair shop my truck is running on WMO. But you need to take enough with you for the whole trip. I hope to get two more 40 gal tanks and run them along side of the camper. That would give me 160gal Plus 20 gal gas and at this time one 5gal Jerry can of WMO

Thanks again for you inspiration

Have a great week John

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. . . As if that is not enough, I removed the driver side running board and cargo box and replaced it with a 50 gal step tank
Uncle, where'd you get the 50 gal step tank? What are they used on?
Sure would like to do that to Elise's "She Beast".

Magneto

I would suggest adding a CO detector in the living area. With a generator close by, carbon monoxide can rise up and into the living area via a open window, crack, etc. We added one near the ceiling in the M109A3 for peace of mind when cooking inside or running the generator.

"if you smell an odorless gas or see an invisible gas, it's probably carbon monoxide" :cookoo:

Pete

bkwudzhom

Just a thought on the Gen Set mounting guys. I like both of your set ups and had a few ideas i would like to throw at you since I can't build my own. Is it reasonable to mount the genny on a solid platform-plywood-light metal frame etc. that would slide into the frame you have. Then use 4 bolts that bolt it in place in the frame for transport. Upon camp set up you could pull out the genset if you wanted to and set it up a bit away from camp. Mabey behind a large tree or rock or a depresion for sound suppression. A simple foam insulation box could be made to assist with any sound problems. Foam would be light weight and durable if placed on a simple piece of sheet metal. Just an idea to make it a bit more flexible.

That is a great idea. Unfortunately mine is so heavy two men struggle to move it. But with a modern light weight gen-set that would be an awesome arrangement.

But what if i took the spare tire winch. mounted to the underside of the bed. My generator has a lifting eye cast into it. I could raise and lower it just like the spare tire. Put some pneumatic tire type casters on it. And my wife could lower it and roll it out while I nap.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Thanks for gettin' me thinking bkwudzhom.

(It is really a good idea thanks)

Have a great week John

Last edited:

unclemikey

Bkwudzhom. That is kind of like my thinking. The generator is bolted to the plywood floor in the rack, but is quick to unbolt and remove if needed. One person can remove the generator, but I don't carry it around. It is always good to have a wagon about, you know like a yard wagon or even a good kids wagon. To remove the generator from the rack to the wagon is no sweet, then you can just roll it to where every you want to in the camp area just like you said for exhaust or noise. Plus a wagon is good for fire wood or a hundred other things.

Magneto.......:funny:rofl But a good idea to keep in mind. Thanks.

Today i painted and mounted the fuel tank for the generator. Hooked up the fuel line and power cord.

I also finally Bolted down the extra 40 gal fuel tank. had been tied down with a rope.

A little at a time but I'll get it done.

Have a great weekend
John

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks