• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive camper/utiliy box for m35a2

Hi everyone.
I haven't been loafing. I have been very busy painting the inside of the camper.

Man its tough work. The wood paneling sucks up the paint and its so cramped its hard to swing a brush.

I also finally broke through the floor. It was spongy since we got it and I had planed to overlay it with plywood. Found out it is just particle board. I'm surprised it held me up this long.

Here are some picks. Mind you it won't look good until the joints are caulked that will make it look finished. Well if I ever do finish it.

Have a great week
John

Attachments

unclemikey

John,
That sure does brighten up the inside, makes the unit look alot larger also. I like it! I also need some work on the inside of mine, but I had not considered painting the inside that light of a color, may have to rethink that. As always, thanks for the updates, you keep me inspired........poor, but inspired. [thumbzup]

unclemikey

How high is the camper from the bed to the top of the camper or AC unit?
I don't remember if John has an A/C unit on his camper, but I have one on mine. Not sure how high it is from the bed, but from the ground it is about 12"6". Always looking out for trees! :lol: Hope that helps.

quickfarms

Your location brings back memories. I had a girl friend that lived in West Covina.

Went to church in Bellflower. Grew up in Orange county. Garden Grove, Yorba Linda, Placentia then Fullerton.

Would spend a lot of weekends up in the San Gabriel mountains in my old Power Wagon.

Thanks for making me melancholy;-)

John

PS My camper is just a little over 8' high. but I had to block it up another 5 1/2 in to clear the cab. Starting at 5' you may have to look into one of those campers that raises up and down.

quickfarms

I really want one of the military ISO shelters to put on the truck.

They are 8 foot high and 20 feet long and would lock right down onto the bed.

There is a military one that only weighs 3500 pounds which is about 2500 pounds lighter than a insulated container.

But the last two that sold locally went for over 5 grand a piece, then I would have to convert it to an rv.

I am still looking into the camper idea but I will have to be carefull about the height especially since they are a lot weaker than a shipping container.

unclemikey

My bed is higher than a m35

My bed is 5 feet off of the ground

So I really am looking fo the height of the camper.

For crying out loud guys, what is this old home week! For half of my life I lived in Temple City and Sierra Madre, till I went to the real mountains. It's no wonder we get along so well.

In answer to your question quickfarm. My camper stands 87" high. I have a 3" spacer under the camper in order for the cabover to clear the Deuce roof. A 4" would be better. The A/C unit stands 13" above the roof. !00" without spacer, 103" with spacer.

I am intrigued about your truck with a 5 ft bed height. I like it already! What the deal? :jumpin:

Ok Unclemikey

I looked up Durango Colorado on a map.

Coming from southern Cal. you must be going through street with drawls.

It look like Durango has a shortage of Them.

It must be nice.

John

unclemikey

Ok Unclemikey

I looked up Durango Colorado on a map.

Coming from southern Cal. you must be going through street with drawls.

It look like Durango has a shortage of Them.

It must be nice.

John

Well to put the story right, I live 5 miles north of a burg called Bayfield that is 18 miles east of Durango. The town is growing to fast though, just not long ago they put up a traffic light. :shock: Think it may be time to move on!

Attachments

I really have been working on the truck. but nothing seems to be getting done. Almost finished painting the inside of the camper it takes a lot of coats to cover that dark paneling.
Moved the propane tanks and got the stove working. Lit my hands on fire trying to purge the line to the heater. Nine hours under ice and all that was left were blisters and hairless arms. By Monday I was able to work without pain.
I did finely paint the nose of the truck. I pulled the intank pump and sealed it with (The Right Stuff) to stop fuel seeping at the gasket. If you have not used The Right Stuff you should try it. you will never use silicone again and it is also a fantastic adhesive.

Have a great week
John

1John 5:12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

Attachments

I worked all day at the shop and finally got some things done.

1. I welded the nuts for the passenger side Jerry can holder to the running board. Now its a snap to remove. Yep my wife left some thing on and killed my battery's.

2. I strapped in my propane tanks. One is really old but is plum full. I'll replace it after I use it up.

3. The most scary thing i did was light the frig. It worked and I did not catch on fire this time. (I am still scared of the heater)

4. I also wired in my 12 volt stuff and put in a couple plugs to charge cellphones. The best part is my pyro now turns on and off with the master switch. Sometimes I would forget to unhook the jumper----- I mean my wife would forget to unhook----

5. I moved the passengers seat all the way back and bolted it to the floor. My wife is always complaining that her knees hit the dash. I told her no one could see the bruises if she stopped wearing skirts.

Tip. To protect wires going through a hole. slit some vacuum hose lenght ways. slide the slit over the sheet metal. cut just a little long and push the ends together.

Have a great week
John

John 21:18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish."

Attachments

hairtrigger

I would like to thank both UncleMikey and Mobileauto for all post and pics throughout this thread. You guys have given me a lot of ideas, and have been very busy with a build of my own. I owe you guys a beer if I ever meet up with you on the road. Also, if it wasn't for this thread my wife would never have been on board with my plans, so again thanks very much. :beer: Here is my platform so far. My camper is behind the truck, just waiting for a stretch of nice weather to mount it in.

Attachments

hairtrigger

Two important things. Don't light yourself on fire. And post lots and lots of pictures.

Will be looking forward to them
John

John 12:1 Then, six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was who had been dead, whom He had raised from the dead.
John 12:2 There they made Him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those who sat at the table with Him.

unclemikey

Boy, I am having a real hard time keeping up with the Johnes. :lol: There you go again doing some sort of super work to make us all look bad! Just kidding ! Love to see pics of all the progress you making on your rig. You know it seems like it was just yesterday you were first talking about the project. Now look were you are ! You have done soooooo much in so little time. " Job Well Done " [thumbzup] Every time I see the updates on your Deuce, I get all jazzed to work on mine. I also got a lot of work done on mine today, Thanks.

Sorry to hear you got tosted, I assume all is OK ? I also have a question regarding your pics. Whats going on under your dash beneath the glove compartment. It looks like you have a relay mounted, but what does it go to and what for? Come on now, you know the rules, no holding out with secret stuff. Take good care John.
Mike.

P.S. Love your quote of John 21:18. Every time I haer the news anymore, I think to myself that I am being girdest by the gov whither I wouldest not go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks