• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info on Flying Flags on the M35's

joshs1ofakindxj

The tallest flag should "Always Be" The American Flag, :soapbox: unless you are from Texas then you can fly both the same height, because Texas was it own Republic at one time. :-D
I agree with the tallest flag being the American Flag. I was just wondering if anyone else flys the Don't Tread on Me flag too.

goldwing2000

Banned
I believe the wording suggests it should be mounted at all time on the right front fender.

I would agree with your interpretation if there was another comma in there after the word "chassis", like so:

"When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis, or clamped to the right fender"

Without the comma, you have no seperation between the notion of "fixed firmly to the chassis" and the notion of "clamped" so they are both pertaining to the right front fender.

As mentioned though, flying the flag respectfully anywhere is probably better than not flying it at all, but just like the Constitution, the wording and placements of grammar are key to interpretation.
Your modified example is improper usage of a comma and doesn't make sense. In American English, a comma is only used if there are three or more things being compared, unlike British English and their "Oxford Comma".
In this case, the conjunction "or" provides the separation between the notion of "fixed firmly to the chassis" and the notion of "clamped". You have two verbs (fixed and clamped) and two nouns as objects of those verbs (chassis and fender) and each pair forms its own clause (fixed to chassis, clamped to fender). In order for each verb to apply to the fender only and not the chassis, it would have to read "fixed firmly or clamped to the fender".

Furthermore, as was stated in another discussion, the word "front" does not appear anywhere in the entire sentence. A fender can be at either end of a vehicle.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

Your modified example is improper usage of a comma and doesn't make sense. In American English, a comma is only used if there are three or more things being compared, unlike British English and their "Oxford Comma".
In this case, the conjunction "or" provides the separation between the notion of "fixed firmly to the chassis" and the notion of "clamped". You have two verbs (fixed and clamped) and two nouns as objects of those verbs (chassis and fender) and each pair forms its own clause (fixed to chassis, clamped to fender). In order for each verb to apply to the fender only and not the chassis, it would have to read "fixed firmly or clamped to the fender".

Furthermore, as was stated in another discussion, the word "front" does not appear anywhere in the entire sentence. A fender can be at either end of a vehicle.
Good catch on the part about the front not being specified.

I think I have been owned by the English language.

ivbeenrokd

I'm planning to get a couple of 3' x 5' flags (American and Tennessee) I plan to fly them somewhere behind the cab. I'm curious to everyone's thoughts as to whether the pole should be high enough that the flag never touches anything but the pole. My feeling is this may be the case but I don't know for sure. Since I'd like to fly them behind the cab this would put the flags really high when the troop seats are on if that is the case.

If anybody has any pics of flags behind the cab or at the back of the bed on an deuce or 5 ton I'd love to see them.

Thanks for the help,

John

ivbeenrokd

I'm planning to get a couple of 3' x 5' flags (American and Tennessee) I plan to fly them somewhere behind the cab. I'm curious to everyone's thoughts as to whether the pole should be high enough that the flag never touches anything but the pole. My feeling is this may be the case but I don't know for sure. Since I'd like to fly them behind the cab this would put the flags really high when the troop seats are on if that is the case.

If anybody has any pics of flags behind the cab or at the back of the bed on an deuce or 5 ton I'd love to see them.

Thanks for the help,

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for the help,

John
John,
It is honorable of you to both WANT to fly the colors, and to also inquire about the APPROPRIATE display of the US flag.

Have you ACTUALLY READ the Flag Code?

It answers BOTH of your questions.

The Code is the LAW.
It is SPECIFIC on both points...
1. Right Front CORNER of the VEHICLE - not the bed, and definitely NOT the back of the vehicle.
2. To fly freely - without ANY interference with adjacent structures, etc.

I've color-coded your quoted post above with a GREEN-RED approval/disapproval theme for your convenience.

The freedom of speech allows desecration of the flag. HOWEVER, if your intent is to RESPECT the flag, what it stands for and those who have died to preserve that freedom, then I respectfully beseech you to fly it correctly or not at all.

Remember: What you do (and how you do it) speaks so loudly, that I cannot here a word you speak.

Thank you,
John
American Patriot and Veteran

Last edited:

ivbeenrokd

Thank you for the feedback. It was my understanding by reading the previous posts in this thread that the flag code does specify the right side but does not specifically call for the front. However, most peoples opinion is front right even though it doesn't specifically say that. I have read this section of the code but I'm finding it difficult to interpret the difference between what it actual says and others opinions.

Here's is a copy from a previous post in this thread:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing2000

Good catch on the part about the front not being specified.

I think I have been owned by the English language."

It is my goal to fly the flag respectfully and with the intent of not only showing my patriotism for this county but possibly encouraging others as well.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

deathrowdave

I have ben flying the Jolly Roger for years !!! Made a mast to fit in the front ring mount leg . Turned a reducer down conical shape to reduce to 3/4 black iron pipe with threaded cap . Works great as a flag mast and height warning also. Works great looks great with smoke stains on it too !!! :grd:

As you have surmised, the actual flag code does not specify front or rear of vehicle and other's assertations that it has to be on the front are simply based on opinion, not fact or law. I invite you to read the code yourself and make your own judgement based upon what is actually written there, not on what others tell you.

United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10
From the above highlighted flag code...
§175. Position and manner of display

The flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag's own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line.
  • (a) The flag should not be displayed on a float in a parade except from a staff, or as provided in subsection (i) of this section.
  • (b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
From Army regulation AR840-10
2–4. Position and manner of display
a. Ceremonies and parades.
(1) The flag of the United States will be carried on all ceremonial
occasions when two or more companies or an appropriate honor
guard participates. It is always displayed in the position of honor.
(2) When the flag of the United States is carried in a procession
with other flags, the place of the flag of the United States is on the
marching right; or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the
center of that line. (See fig 2-1).
(3) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally but
always aloft and free.
(4) When the flag of the United States is displayed from a vehicle,
the staff of the flag will be clamped firmly to the right front
fender.

emr

flag

I will be acquiring a Bobbed M35 and would like some assistance on the best way to fly a couple of flags. I have 2 ea. 3X5' flags and would like to know the best way to fly along with the best mounting kits and antennas to use.
Any input or help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Heres mine... I slid a piece of re bar in a pastic pipe and the re bar sticks out to fit into the bumper pipe that one will find standard on alot of in service vehicles, and the plastic pipe covered in OD mil tape for effect and zip tyed the flags, i fly the never forget flag with the POW flag on the same staff, I personally feel they deserve to be together, as for the placing, its correct to fly the POW flag next to the Red White and Blues :) always front right for ol" glory...Oh as long as U fly Her Proud and with respect there are alot of exceptions, like when the NYC FireMen carry Ol glory flat along 5th ave on Vets day, Shes an easy 50 ft wide and 100 long and it a BIG GO!!!!! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

goldwing2000

Banned
From the above highlighted flag code...
§175. Position and manner of display

...(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
From Army regulation AR840-10
2–4. Position and manner of display
...(4) When the flag of the United States is displayed from a vehicle,
the staff of the flag will be clamped firmly to the right front
fender.
As your first highlight states (and as I have pointed out many times before), the Flag Code only states RIGHT fender, not right FRONT fender and that is ONLY with regard to CLAMPING the flag. It clearly states it may also be "fixed firmly to the chassis" and DOES NOT specify a location when mounted as such (separating conjunction highlighted for emphasis).

Regarding your second highlight, Army regulations do not apply as the vast majority of us are not currently serving active duty in the military. However, if one wishes to follow that regulation is would be purely one's own choice and you would then therefore have to clamp your flag mount directly to your fender, not to the bumper as most here have chosen to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks