• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting question from the DMV

Stalwart

Regarding my former 1969 Ford M656 8x8, you never want to give them too much info here in WA, it gives them an excuse to send you away without the registration, they simply don't care.

Me: I'd like to register and title my truck with collector plates. (hand over the paperwork)

DMV: 1969 Ford, hmmm . . . is it a pickup?

Me: Not exactly.

DMV: Does it have a box?

Me: Yes, I guess it does.

DMV: Does it have 4 wheel drive?

Me: Yes. (it does when the transfer case in "on-road" position)

DMV: Here you go.

She hands me a permanent registration for a 1969 Ford pickup, no certified weight slip required and a scale weight of 3800 lbs. as listed on their database.

BTW, my HEMTT is listed as an "Electric" vehicle . . . not worth the effort to change it.

mdog

When I took my deuce paperwork to DMV I said I just want a title.
She said "if you are not getting a tag you have to bring it to be inspected for Serial #.
Me: I thought you would go look at it.
She: We don't do that anymore.
Me: I can't drive it here because I wasn't planning to insure it. I could trailer it.
She: If you bring it on a trailer you have to unload it because we can't get on the trailer to inspect it. The only person who can get on the trailer is only here on Thursday afternoons.
Me: But if I register the truck you do not care about inspection or serial #.
She: Thats right.
Me: I'll get a title and registration please.

TIGERFANS2

Come to Topeka...... gal in the DMV (HiPo employee) walks out, climbs in, looks at the data plate and my paperwork and says "ok".
Says I "you've seen these before?" says she "oh yeah" no big deal :-D

Malyutkaman

Regarding my former 1969 Ford M656 8x8, you never want to give them too much info here in WA.

No truer words were ever spoken. I know from personal experience that when it comes to getting a pass to get on base at Ft. Lewis it seems you can never give them enough info. I made the mistake of taking my HMMWV to the logistics center (to look at some surplus items).

Guard: Why aren't you in uniform?
ME: Because I'm not in the military.... anymore
Guard: Then what the HE_ _ are you doing in that vehicle?
ME: I own it.
Guard: No you don't.
ME: Yes I do!
Guard: No you don't!
ME: Again, Yes I do! (This goes on several more times)
Guard: Shut off the vehicle and get out.

To make a long story short I tried to explain how these surplus HMMWV's came to be and showed him the (state) registration. In about 20 min. I had the M.P's, Base security, CID, and the WA. State Patrol asking me questions. The state patrol guys were great. When they found out that I indeed had title to the vehicle they looked it over said they wished they had one and left. However, it took the military another 45 minutes to figure out that I could actually own one and even then told me not to bring it back because I'd run the risk of having it impounded. Talk about a pain in the ....
After all that I was glad that when I registered it I made them register it as an M998, not hummer, or AM general etc. (since that was the first thing everybody looked at) and in the end they had nothing they could complain about.
In the end I agree don't give them too much info, just make sure that whatever appears on the data plate is reflected in the paperwork. The thought of loosing ones MV to something as stupid as that is not a pleasent one.

NEIOWA

Regarding my former 1969 Ford M656 8x8, you never want to give them too much info here in WA.

No truer words were ever spoken. I know from personal experience that when it comes to getting a pass to get on base at Ft. Lewis it seems you can never give them enough info. I made the mistake of taking my HMMWV to the logistics center (to look at some surplus items).

Guard: Why aren't you in uniform?
ME: Because I'm not in the military.... anymore
Guard: Then what the HE_ _ are you doing in that vehicle?
ME: I own it.
Guard: No you don't.
ME: Yes I do!
Guard: No you don't!
ME: Again, Yes I do! (This goes on several more times)
Guard: Shut off the vehicle and get out.

To make a long story short I tried to explain how these surplus HMMWV's came to be and showed him the (state) registration. In about 20 min. I had the M.P's, Base security, CID, and the WA. State Patrol asking me questions. The state patrol guys were great. When they found out that I indeed had title to the vehicle they looked it over said they wished they had one and left. However, it took the military another 45 minutes to figure out that I could actually own one and even then told me not to bring it back because I'd run the risk of having it impounded. Talk about a pain in the ....
After all that I was glad that when I registered it I made them register it as an M998, not hummer, or AM general etc. (since that was the first thing everybody looked at) and in the end they had nothing they could complain about.
In the end I agree don't give them too much info, just make sure that whatever appears on the data plate is reflected in the paperwork. The thought of loosing ones MV to something as stupid as that is not a pleasent one.

You couldn't see that coming??? I'd say entirely predictible. Maybe even logical.

DanielP

When I registered my 1986 military trailer with 9.00 x 20's with the gov't certificate thingie, the lady at DMV had to look at my VIN. Then, standing beside the trailer she asked some really insightful questions, like how long is the trailer, how many axles does it have, what color is it and what is its load rating.

chgofiveo

When I took my deuce paperwork to DMV I said I just want a title.
She said "if you are not getting a tag you have to bring it to be inspected for Serial #.
Me: I thought you would go look at it.
She: We don't do that anymore.
Me: I can't drive it here because I wasn't planning to insure it. I could trailer it.
She: If you bring it on a trailer you have to unload it because we can't get on the trailer to inspect it. The only person who can get on the trailer is only here on Thursday afternoons.
Me: But if I register the truck you do not care about inspection or serial #.
She: Thats right.
Me: I'll get a title and registration please.
Man in IL they dont care what you want...Title, Plates? Whatever...I opted for "Title Only" as the only plates I could get were truck plates...and the cost would go according to weight...Ill take my chances

By the way...Love all the stories

Blood_of_Tyrants

In Tennessee you MUST register a vehicle if you want a title. I just transfer plates from one vehicle to another to keep from having to spend the $50 for new tags. The good thing is that you can get a title in TN for a vehicle more than 30 years old with just a bill of sale.

Pawnshop

When I went to State Farm to get insurance for the M35A2 I sat there looking at the cute young Hispanic female agent and realized that I had to try to figure out HOW to describe it in "girl terms""

Her: M35A2, what is that?
Me: well...
Her: Kaiser-Jeep made it, is it like a Jeep?
Me: well... yes, kinda, but with three axles...
Her: like a Deuce N a Half?
Me; YES! (ding ding ding)

Turns out she was Army Reserve, and had spent some time in the back of a Deuce. And yes, she was instantly cuter to me after that conversation:)

chgofiveo

When I went to State Farm to get insurance for the M35A2 I sat there looking at the cute young Hispanic female agent and realized that I had to try to figure out HOW to describe it in "girl terms""

Her: M35A2, what is that?
Me: well...
Her: Kaiser-Jeep made it, is it like a Jeep?
Me: well... yes, kinda, but with three axles...
Her: like a Deuce N a Half?
Me; YES! (ding ding ding)

Turns out she was Army Reserve, and had spent some time in the back of a Deuce. And yes, she was instantly cuter to me after that conversation:)
I like a girl who is willing to spend some time in the back of a Deuce

:twisted:

rgregj

Great stories guys...Mine's not quite as good. When I bought my truck the guys I work with said it was going to cost a mint at the DMV because I would need truck tags. Went to the DMV with the old SC title.
Me: I would like to apply for a title/tags/registration (handing her the mountain of paperwork.
Her: So its a jeep (reading off of old title)
Me: Yeah, Jeep bought out Kaiser, its acutally a Kaiser.
Her: So its a jeep.
Me: yep
Her: it weighs 130,000 lbs? (not raising an eyebrow)
Me: No maam, it weighs 13,000 lbs (waiting to get socked with truck tags and the accompaning high fees.)
Her: ok, 1966 jeep, 13,000 empty weight. Right?
Me: yes
Her: ok. $27.00.
I almost broke my arm getting out my wallet. Figured she miscalculated the weight.
Gave her the money and she hands me a standard tag.
Got back to work and the guys asked me how much they raped me for. I told them with taxes, tags and all $62.00. They were fit to be tied.

Gotta love the south.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went in the other day to get some paperwork for my Jeep. Since I had waited through the line I decided to ask about getting some paperwork to read over about registering my future M35A2.

Me: So..one more thing. How would you go about getting tags for an M35A2.
She: That would be a..
Me: Truck. Large Truck.
She: Oook, how large? Commercial?
Me: No, just personal.
She: Whats the empty weight *looks at a quick reference chart with pictures*
Me: About 6 tons give or take.
She: *Goes off the chart* Well..umm..how many tires, what size?
Me: Oh I'd say ten and this high *put my hand above my waist*
She: What in the he**? That wouldnt fit on some of the roads here. Let me talk to my supervisor.

About three trips and twenty minutes later her supervisor comes out as she cant seem to find any info in the system for my truck.

She (supervisor): I know what it is. Are you TRYING to kill the environment?
Me: What? No. Just I'm buying this truck.
She: Oh..well, good luck getting it past emission standards. The state comptroller has all the documentation you need. *gives me the info*
Me: No worries. It wont have to. Thanks.

I must say it was quite entertaining to see the back office of the DMV digging through everything desperate for an answer. I'll have to pay them a visit once I get my Deuce and show them. I was sure the supervisor was out to stop me but it was worth it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since I had to get new tags at the DMV for the wrecker today I went ahead and asked about the M915 (different county than the first time I asked).

Me. "I need to renew this tag".

Sweet Thing behind the counter. "Oh, your the guy with the military trucks!"

Me. "Yep".

She looks at the renewell notice. "That'll be $38.50 please".

Me. Writing out check. "I need to find out about a tag for a big truck I just got. An old military road tractor. I won't be hauling commercial......can I get a farm tag???

ST. "How much weight will you be hauling? Not over 36,000.....RIGHT.

Me. That's about right...just hay and farm stuff.

ST. "Not a problem....just see me when you get the title".

Me. "Will I need a DOT number.

ST. "No...not if you are non-comercial."

Me. "OK....thank you."

ST. "Can you bring it by one day...the other girls want to see one of those trucks."

Me. "I'll drive it here to get the plates."

ST. "Cool"

Looks like "Jessica" will be legal as soon as GL gets the SF-97 to me.

BTW.....insurance for the 915 will be $750.00 per year, full coverage.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what "emissions standards" she thought might apply? Diesel vehicles don't have to pass a sniff test in Texas, passenger, commercial or otherwise, regardless of how it is registered.
I know it. It seemed she was throwing the kitchen sink at me there hahaha.

AN/ARC186

My conversation with the clerk lady went something like this:

DMV: What year Make and Model is you truck?
Me: '66 Jeep

DMV: What kind of jeep?
Me: 6 wheeled kind

DMV: Oh you have one of those!!!! Well I have to find out how to classafy this thing!!
Me: what do you mean one of those???

DMV: You have one of those military trucks right?
Me: You know what it is???

DMV: Oh yes!! We just dont have anyway to really describe it in the system.....is it camo green or tan?
Me:?????camo???? Wow you knew what it was?????

DMV: Oh yes sir!! I know someone who had one a few years back....remember you are in GA!!!
Me: ok Thank you

DMV: have a nice day enjoy your new ride!!

WOW is all I could say after that!! I love the south!!

This Lady needs to train EVERY DMV employee across the country!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks