• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this HMMWV leagal

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally Posted by zr10054
I had the cash, I found the HMMWV and I was in contact with the Dept Of Defense and was told that they have the right to 'reclaim' these at anytime.
isnt this true for most all of our fmv's??
No, HMMWV's, M151's, and Goats require demils. When they loan them to agencies they "belong" to DOD. If they decide they want say a M37; it isn't remotely as simple to reclaim it.

Welder Sam

i did say most... such as the big boy toys.. 2.5 tons and 5 tons..

besides, its the gov... they do what they want. the ppl's vote and opinions no longer matter.

merry christmas to all and to all a goodnight:beer:

zr10054

because the civilian hummer H1 doesnt have the MILSPEC standard that they built for the military. -deep water fording, water proof electrical wiring, CARC paint, HD brake system transfer case and of course bulletproof if you live in a bad area.:D it will cost you more to convert
Lucky me, i already own a Hummer H1 but I don't won't to rattle can it.

tryon

i personally just bought a vehicle that was retired from the sheriffs department and all this. i got a bill of sale and i have never had any problems with my M35's or my M1009 getting those tags.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
because the civilian hummer H1 doesnt have the MILSPEC standard that they built for the military. -deep water fording, water proof electrical wiring, CARC paint, HD brake system transfer case and of course bulletproof if you live in a bad area.:D it will cost you more to convert

When they originally came out they didn't have armor so that isn't an issue. Someone was selling up-armored doors out of Cali at one point. As for the other things not being MILSPEC I watched the TV special on them being built and it sure looked like all the stuff that I would want on a truck was MILSPEC.

I can add a snorkel and transfer case, maybe not the wiring harness and $100 worth of Rapco 383 an it will look just as good.

I have seen one recently for sale built completely out of new parts. It looks like a real because it is.

:)

Safaritowman

SO what do I need to do to see if one I found can be had from my police dept. I can get it if I show them that me having it would not get them in trouble. Its a older 90s HUMVEE

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i personally just bought a vehicle that was retired from the sheriffs department and all this. i got a bill of sale and i have never had any problems with my M35's or my M1009 getting those tags.
M35's and M1009's don't require demil.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO what do I need to do to see if one I found can be had from my police dept. I can get it if I show them that me having it would not get them in trouble. Its a older 90s HUMVEE
Depends on how they got it. If it was one that went through the auctions in the 90's (that they paid for) you can own it. If it came through a state program, DOD owns it (even if it has a title).

Augi

Here is a pretty good list of all the possible combinations:

1. HMMWV previously bought from the the Atlanta or Barstow auctions: Legal to buy, sell, own etc. By this point most of them that could have been titled have been, so transfer is very easy (just line a normal civilian vehicle). It may still have only a Form 97 which can make it trickier to register. If the paperwork has been lost or is not present then there is very little possibility of getting a title and registration in any state, even though the vehicle was legally purchased originally.

2. HMMWV built from surplussed parts: All of the parts required to assemble complete vehicles have been surplussed at various times or are available for civilian purchase. Titles vary, can be titled as a constructed vehicle if the state allows. Build quality can also vary. I don't know enough about constructed vehicles to comment further.

3. HMMWV listed on Gov. Liq. by accident or for any other reason after the original Atlanta and Barstow auctions: These now require mutilation (and they do verify) by the purchaser after the sale if they are even allowed to be sold. Vehicles that 'slip through' are subject to reclamation by the government if and when they find them. Good luck getting a title. Run from these.

4. HMMWV listed for sale by a state or local agency: In most cases these are owned by the federal government and supplied to the state and local agencies for cheap or no money. They are still federal government property and must be turned in or mutilated after sale just like #3. I have never heard of a HMMWV coming out of a sheriff's office etc that was supplied to them through any other route (ie they bought it in a private sale) and was therefore legal for them to resell. I have seen several ads with vehicles for sale where the ad was pulled shortly after surfacing and the truck was never heard about again. Run from these too. If you buy it and they find you later you will lose the truck and what you paid for it.

5. HMMWV of unknown origin with no title or Form 97: Run!

6. CUCV/M35/Various Other Vehicles: These do not require mutilation (aka demil) after sale and may be sold by Gov. Liq. or state and local agencies to civilians without much restriction.

Note: the age of the HMMWV is not important, it is the avenue with which it has left government service that determines the legality of buying it.

saddamsnightmare

December 23rd, 2011.

Or just buy a Unimog, No demil code issues, better ground clearance, greater weight capacity, better off road handling, and better mileage. Parts legitimately available all over the world, and if it's U1300L with ultra high speed axles it will do 70 MPH all day long.... And besides, you never need a "fear This" sticker on it because smart drivers always fear it....

Merry Christmas!:D

jjramrod

research

The government can literally do whatever they want. They can come on your property shoot your ass and say it was self defense or for public safety or whatever bs they want or just say nothing at all. i have personally witnessed this. that being said just do some research call some bases or visit them. talk to the higher ups and make sure its not stolen or something their looking for. If all else fails check with the dmv. here in ny they will check and make shure that its not stolen or being actively searched for by the government. if you do all of this and find nothing out of order then go for it. or you can just get a tag from a demilled one and say you rebuilt it from parts. whatever trips your trigger but i personally wouldnt run from it. Due to the age it may have been one of the original legally sold ones. It all depends on how bad you want one and how much work your willing to do for it.

Tanner

I think we should petition the Commander and Chief that we want some HMMWV's . We pay taxes to supply them and we would like to preserve some, soo since they are considered tactical, why not register them like class III tansferable firearms, pay a $200 tax stamp and you get to drive your HMMWV. I really don't like the idea of clueless HMMWV operators on the streets but knowledgeable operator-owners don't scare me, sort of like commercial semi operators.
fat lady sings
...you'll have to catch the _resident when he comes in off of another taxpayer-supported vacation.

:popcorn:

'Tanner'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks