• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Joined the club with an 18,000lb paperweight this week.

wandering neurons

I had a steel plate welded to the top of a piece of 4" square tubing, about 12" long, that fits into the pockets in the bed of my M1081. There is a thick piece of rubber between the plate, and a hole drilled in the post for the pin in the pocket. On top of that, I bolted an Ultra-Tow hydraulic pickup crane, 1000/2000lb capacity. I have an additional length of square tubing that fits into the crane boom with a pulley at the end, that allows me to reach over and remove all of the cab of the M1081 during warmer weather. Finally, I have a long chain-fall pulley that I can use in addition to the hand crank and hydraulic

Getting ready to unload hay bale using hoist
M1081_w_crane.jpg

Another shot - I used the hoist to load the logs, the logs then went to the lumber yard for processing for a buddy
M1081_w_crane_and logs.jpg

Beauty shots of my M1081 with the upper part of the cab removed (Halloween this year)
M1081_Halloween.jpg

And a nice sunset shot
M1081_sunset.jpg

wandering neurons

The crane is just like a engine puller crane - it has a hand-pump self-contained hydraulic cylinder. instead of the legs and casters on the ground of the engine puller, the post is on a bearing and can pivot 360 degrees.
I glom'ed this photo from the seller's site (Northern Tool part number 52534, if you insist on asking):
1609536748672.png

themeec

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved the truck after sitting a while the other day, and noticed a lot of hissing from the rear once the parking brake is off. Most results here on the forum seem to point to a bad diaphragm in the chamber. Air is coming almost entirely from the valve in the attached pic, with some noticeable around the sides of the chamber as well. Just wanted to see if someone could confirm this, or had any other ideas before I dig into it.

InkedIMG_3512_LI.jpg

On a side note, decided to give my dog the space he deserves and popped out the gunners seat. Lots of room once that thing is out! Should have plenty to create him a nice command post in the middle there.

IMG_3514.JPG

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved the truck after sitting a while the other day, and noticed a lot of hissing from the rear once the parking brake is off. Most results here on the forum seem to point to a bad diaphragm in the chamber. Air is coming almost entirely from the valve in the attached pic, with some noticeable around the sides of the chamber as well. Just wanted to see if someone could confirm this, or had any other ideas before I dig into it.

I don't think that's a valve. It looks like the end of a caging bolt in one of the cage bolt holders. I am certain someone will chime in to laugh at me or confirm.

themeec

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think that's a valve. It looks like the end of a caging bolt in one of the cage bolt holders. I am certain someone will chime in to laugh at me or confirm.
True, poor taxonomy on my part, but definitely the point on the housing where the most air was coming out. Couldn't find any details on the internal layout beyond the spring/plunger mechanism. Could just be enough air coming from the housing that it feels like the source is there, may need to check again.

Another Ahab

Check your vents, they may be plugged with bee nests or whatever.
Good point there.

Honeybees take the rap for what are usually wasps of some kind (yellowjackets and paper wasps).

No big deal, of course, but I used to keep bees (only 5-6 hives), and that's where I learned more about all these little peoples!

Hope you get your problem solved, themeec.

That's it. The End

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good point there.

Honeybees take the rap for what are usually wasps of some kind (yellowjackets and paper wasps).

No big deal, of course, but I used to keep bees (only 5-6 hives), and that's where I learned more about all these little peoples!

Hope you get your problem solved, themeec.

That's it. The End
Agreed! Honeybees are surprisingly calm little people.
They could "give a flip" about trucks for the most part.

Here in North Carolina - Dirt Daubers (Mud Daubers) are generally the bee like critters that plug up
things like your vent pipes. Even they are relatively docile critters...

Third From Texas

View attachment 829953

On a side note, decided to give my dog the space he deserves and popped out the gunners seat. Lots of room once that thing is out! Should have plenty to create him a nice command post in the middle there.

View attachment 829954
Pro tip (from my German Shepherd):

There is a REALLY HOT engine just inches under that console, so insulate !

Slapping a piece of liner under the cab is very easy to do. Then top it all off with a nice dog bed/pad.

;)

themeec

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been batting around the idea of putting some new seats in the truck, and as luck would have it, friend of mine started a new gig with a supply company that gives him some pretty good purchasing perks. Anyone have any experience with seats by the following manufacturers, that have worked well with your LMTV?
- Cobra
- Recaro
- Corbeau
- Smittybilt
- Summit

Ned81

Been batting around the idea of putting some new seats in the truck, and as luck would have it, friend of mine started a new gig with a supply company that gives him some pretty good purchasing perks. Anyone have any experience with seats by the following manufacturers, that have worked well with your LMTV?
- Cobra
- Recaro
- Corbeau
- Smittybilt
- Summit
I went with leather sprinter seats from the auction site. Found a guy to sell 3 shipped for $750. Brand new take outs from a handicap conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themeec

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with leather sprinter seats from the auction site. Found a guy to sell 3 shipped for $750. Brand new take outs from a handicap conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I believe I remember a post where I guy got a couple seats out of Honda Civic SI for dirt cheap from the salvage yard that worked nicely. I figured, what the hell though, if I can get brand-new ones for cheap, might as well go for it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks