• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just put a radio in the deuce

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I don't know if I would rather save my hearing so I can always hear my wife nagging at me. Or be deaf and just nob my head and smile when she talks to me. It is an ongoing debate. I don't mind the noise as much as my whole body vibrates for days after a long trip.

jimh1985

Hoss im with you i mounted mine the exact same way who need ear protection anyway! I was born 40% deaf so the truck doesn't seem loud to me at all and the speaker is right behind my head so it works great!

Troll1216

Guys, seriously, protect your hearing, if your hearing is limited, please understand that the effects are cumulative for hearing loss, you can still loose more. I keep plugs in the deuce.

Wear them PLEASE.

Hoefler

Maybe you should consider a muffler is you are not going to wear protection around town. Better to wear protection-get the rear plugs with the hard plastic band-they dont look dorky and do a decent job. With your speakers so close to yer head, you will be able to still here them. Double dog caution here-if you run without hearing protection and have the radio cranked (to over come the engine noise), you are getting a double dose of hearing loss. Listen to your elders sonny!
Next point-consider a 24 VDC to 12 VDC convertor-cost on Amazon about 30 bucks. Wire to a switch that shuts the radio off so you are not always draining the batteries.

caliber1

actualy i hooked it up to my first battery. its working fine for now :D
You would be wise to read up on the risks associated with pulling 12 volts off one battery.

Wear hearing protection.
Listen to these guys Big Hoss. You need to get either a 24-12 co nverter, or a battery equalizer. The EQ will be more $$, but will give you more options. That's the way I'm going with mine. I also just got a muffler for mine. :)

hdmax

Huh? Sorry, after 4 years Army, 20 years construction, and owning a deuce I couldn't hear you!

Young and foolish now, wise and deaf later...

You'll also learn that using one battery may bite you in the butt, later too.

There is tons of real life experience shared on this site. If you don't learn from it, you'll learn it later on in life, in some cases, when it's too late(and you'll regret it forever).

When I was 17, I knew everything too...

big hoss

Maybe you should consider a muffler is you are not going to wear protection around town. Better to wear protection-get the rear plugs with the hard plastic band-they dont look dorky and do a decent job. With your speakers so close to yer head, you will be able to still here them. Double dog caution here-if you run without hearing protection and have the radio cranked (to over come the engine noise), you are getting a double dose of hearing loss. Listen to your elders sonny!
Next point-consider a 24 VDC to 12 VDC convertor-cost on Amazon about 30 bucks. Wire to a switch that shuts the radio off so you are not always draining the batteries.

I drive my truck every day so im not to worried about the batterys. But i have started to ware hearing protection, i found out that if i turned up the radio a little bit i can still hear it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
i dont ware hearing protection, my ears are use to the multifuel and the speakers are right behind my head.
When I was in Germany in the mid-70's I put over 50K miles on a deuce (I drove for the Mess Hall and Supply) and I had an 8-track tape player in the glove box and speakers set up like yours. I also went to every rock concert I could get tickets for (saw the Who, Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull. etc) and was exposed to a lot of loud music.

I now have a profound high frequency hearing loss in both ears and miss a lot of conversation is there is background noise. It has also given me a low tolerance for loud noises.....I tend to get very irate when some idiot rides around me with a stereo blaring.

If we didn't care about you we wouldn't try to warn you about things we now know were bad for us.

If I had know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.:shock:

ratat98

I'm getting ready to put a stereo in my truck. I plan on putting speakers like that for when I'm not driving and just want some tunes, then when I am making lots of noise, I am going to pipe it into my aviation intercom system so me and whatever passenger I have can wear my headsets and listen to music also! Note: hide your children's eyes before viewing the picture..

Attachments

caliber1

well i use my truck as a DD
That's what we're trying to tell you Hoss, the more you use it this way, the shorter the battery life. I work on 24 volt busses for a living and have seen some ugly things happen in battery bays when someone tries to get around the converter or EQ. Battery acid makes a he!! of a mess.

dittle

Guys, you are arguing/giving advice to a 17 year old kid. We've all been there, we were the know it alls who couldn't be told anything. Give him 10 years and he will be giving out the same advice you are now, only he won't be able to hear anything. Not trying to be a dick, but you've seen the replies and know what I'm talking about.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The only reason you use those is because you thought the model in the picture came with them. ;-)

As for Big Hoss and his hearing loss, nothing we can do about that. I have lost part of mine due to working around Navy jets and that was with hearing protection. I even wear ear plugs to rock concerts. I don't give a shiite what I look like, I just don't want to lose any more hearing to loud noise.

DH, my Brother and I wear a set like that when we are running either the big Ditch Witch or the bull dozer.

Hoefler

Put a stereo in my A3. Used a 12 to 24 VDC convertor with a heavy duty on off toggle switch. Found cheap boxed speakers and Pioneer stereo on Amazon.
Made a plate that bolts to side of shift tower-used existing holes. Bought a plastic radio housing and mounted to plate. The antenea got mounted on rear of cab. Works great.

Attachments

I'm getting ready to put a stereo in my truck. I plan on putting speakers like that for when I'm not driving and just want some tunes, then when I am making lots of noise, I am going to pipe it into my aviation intercom system so me and whatever passenger I have can wear my headsets and listen to music also! Note: hide your children's eyes before viewing the picture..
An aviation intercom system is the way I would like to go. What are your components ?

Thanks,
Greg

Hoefler

I think aviation headset is a better program, however in MN its not legal.
I used Amazon and got the parts very inexpensively. the 24 to 12 VDC convert was about 40 bucks. I think its good for 20 amps. The stereo is a Pioneer with mp3 (need to bring Johny Cash with me)-paid about 75 bucks. The speakers-little box units with brackets-40 bucks. The antenea-rubber one for 20. Bought a 24 volt toggle switch for 7 bucks.
I made the brackets for radio out of 14 ga-painted the stuff green. Just go to Amazon and look for the stuff-surprised at how inexpensive it was to do this.
I wired from battery to toggle switch near radio. Then toggle switch to convertor mounted on rear of cab. Then 12 volt back out to radio power input. Only issue will be presets wont stick becasue I turn power off to convertor. Shouldnt be to much of issue though.

I doubt a headset is legal in any state.

However, I suspect cranking up cheap stereo components with distortion percentages that will certainly give you a headache, through a converter that will give you even more distortion, to compete with the exhaust noise, is not a very good way to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks