• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won a M1010

4bogginchevys

January 19th, 2010.

Almost makes me wish I'd a bought one of the new ones GM was disposing of back in West Virginia for $29,000 in 2007. Pretty much the complete truck from the factory except no light bar. The Army paid about $92,000 each for use in Iraq and for some reason the deal didn't go through...

And yes, no EUC from GM!:-D:-D
Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D
92000 huh...:evil:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, not yet. He called from south of Ft Worth at 1:30pm (which is normally about a 4 hour drive) and it is now 8pm. Is it just me or does this guy seem like one enormous flake?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will now have to rename it, "The M1010 (if it ever gets here)" no longer applies!
Glad that you finally got it, looking forward to seeing it Wednesday night.

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay here's the pics.

A few goodies inside but not much, fairly new triangles, 1st aid kit, poor condition -10, and a whole bunch of new straps.

Disappointed to see the broken windshield. Looks like a heat crack. Probably had it buttoned up tight on a hot day.

Doesn't look like it's been butchered but I don't recall seeing anyone else with a "master power" switch on theirs. Also some wires next to the batteries that aren't connected.

Hooked up the slave cable last night and was able to get it to crank but I think the fuel filter has drained and it's not getting any fuel. I'll spend the rest of today trying to get it going.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little more disappointment. Turns out the fuel cap is missing. Since it's been sitting in several feet of snow and no telling how much rain before I have to assume there's a gallon of water in the tank. I'll need to drop it, drain it, and dry it out before trying to start.

lavarok

If you get the aux fuel pump running ( run a 24v jumper wire ), you can drain the tank out the back of the truck. There should be a Tee and a valve to open under the rear fuel fired heater.

K9Vic

Are the cross inserts sheet metal or something else? I would like to recreate them for my M1010 and wanted to be as close to stock as I can.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained off half the tank of fuel this evening before it got dark. Haven't seen a drop of water or any other type of contaminant yet. Going to have to locate a couple more fuel cans to drain the rest out (it would have a full tank no less).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still going to drop the tank and flush it out to make sure there's no sludge in there. Might as well before I start it up for the first time. Better a little extra work now versus sitting in the Mojave in June wishing I had done it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing we dropped the tank. After pulling it out there was about a pint of water sitting in the bottom. We then dumped the diesel out of the 5 gallon cans into a 5 gallon bucket and watched the water separate out of that. All told there was probably a quart of water that was in the system. We haven't pulled the fuel filter since it took almost all day working with the tank. That is yet to come.

I was also disappointed to discover a "GL Driveshaft" on the truck. I'll need to pull that tomorrow and take to the driveline shop for repairs. Part of the joy of dealing with GL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks