• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KC Lights Stopped Working

jplace1011

I noticed the passengers side KC light was out last week. Today I decided to get the part information for the non-working light, assuming the bulb was just bad. In the process I discovered the KC switch inside wasn’t working nor lighting up green. Now neither of the KC lites are working at all.

I’m beginning to think that it’s the Brown Ground Wire, the end opposite of the end that goes into the switch. As you can see it’s just hanging there not connected. That U shaped end. I’m thinking it just came loose. I also noticed there’s a red wire with a black stripe connected to the brown wire. My spotlight hasn’t been working for a while either. Maybe the Red Wire (with Black Stripe) goes to that? Maybe not.

I have 2 Questions:

1. Where should I attach the end of the brown wire?

2. Should I be worried about the red wire, with a black stripe, being attached? As not to fry anything, etc.

Thank You for any help guys, I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I don't think anybody here can just tell you what's what. Those aren't stock lights, they are aftermarket. Somebody wired that up some time in the past. Maybe they followed some instructions that came with the lights. Maybe they winged it.

One thing I can tell you - it's poor workmanship.

You are going to have to trace those wires and see where they go. If you can do that, and post the results, we can help you figure it out. There are several of us here who understand wiring, but we have no idea what colors where used for what on your installation. If you can provide that info, we can probably sort it out.

But if it was working, and now nothing is working, it's probably not that wires just moved themselves. There's likely a fuse somewhere that's blown, or a relay has failed. More likely a fuse.

Start tracing!

jplace1011

I noticed the passengers side KC light was out last week. Today I decided to get the part information for the non-working light, assuming the bulb was just bad. In the process I discovered the KC switch inside wasn’t working nor lighting up green. Now neither of the KC lites are working at all.

I’m beginning to think that it’s the Brown Ground Wire, the end opposite of the end that goes into the switch. As you can see it’s just hanging there not connected. That U shaped end. I’m thinking it just came loose. I also noticed there’s a red wire with a black stripe connected to the brown wire. My spotlight hasn’t been working for a while either. Maybe the Red Wire (with Black Stripe) goes to that? Maybe not.

I have 2 Questions:

1. Where should I attach the end of the brown wire?

2. Should I be worried about the red wire, with a black stripe, being attached? As not to fry anything, etc.

Thank You for any help guys, I appreciate it!

I found a diagram of the wiring, in particular for the switch. It looks like the brown wire does need to be grounded. Where could I ground it? I’m thinking of loosening one of the bolts I circled (pic below) and sliding the U shaped in and tightening it. Is that a crazy or good idea? Or is there a better place to ground it? Thank you in advance.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would, probably, start with putting the brown/ground on the front "left" bolt. Whatever that is on the left of the two objects in the picture, the front bolt, or the one closest to the camera.

That being said, you need some serious wire clean up and securing in that nest.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found a diagram of the wiring, in particular for the switch. It looks like the brown wire does need to be grounded. Where could I ground it? I’m thinking of loosening one of the bolts I circled (pic below) and sliding the U shaped in and tightening it. Is that a crazy or good idea? Or is there a better place to ground it? Thank you in advance.

Please don't take this the wrong way - but R U Crazy? Okay now, smile - and let's back up and think this out a bit. WE don't know for sure. YOU have already said that you don't know either.

Just plugging a wire into the three that are there has a pretty good chance of NOT helping the problem. The diagram you sent is neat but unless you rip out all the wires and start over - it is just a nice picture.

You mentioned "the green light". Pure logic only: That green light died or there is no power or no ground. Has to be one of the three. Start there with a test light. One of those three legs on the switch HAS to have power on it all the time. If not, a fuse is where I would go next.

---

Couple of the guys are already making comments - so read, think it out - and report back?

jplace1011

I would, probably, start with putting the brown/ground on the front "left" bolt. Whatever that is on the left of the two objects in the picture, the front bolt, or the one closest to the camera.

That being said, you need some serious wire clean up and securing in that nest.
Yeah it’s quite a mess down there. I think the previous owner didn’t think or care about it. I’m guessing I should zip tie it all?

The Round object on the Left is a power supply, similar to a cigarette lighter. That’s where I plug my Dash Camera into. The object in the right is the KC Switch.

I think that brown was attached to one of those bolts. It’s hanging very close to both. I think it may have just slipped out.

I’ll give it a try. Thank you for the advice.

jplace1011

Please don't take this the wrong way - but R U Crazy? Okay now, smile - and let's back up and think this out a bit. WE don't know for sure. YOU have already said that you don't know either.

Just plugging a wire into the three that are there has a pretty good chance of NOT helping the problem. The diagram you sent is neat but unless you rip out all the wires and start over - it is just a nice picture.

You mentioned "the green light". Pure logic only: That green light died or there is no power or no ground. Has to be one of the three. Start there with a test light. One of those three legs on the switch HAS to have power on it all the time. If not, a fuse is where I would go next.

---

Couple of the guys are already making comments - so read, think it out - and report back?
Haaaa!! Yes I’m crazy enough to ask for help! :)

The switch has 3 wires plugged into the back of it. The Green and White wires are plugged in/attached on both ends. I will double check that. The brown wire is plugged in on the end that goes into the switch. The other end is just hanging. I think you’re right, the plug isn’t working because it’s not grounded, etc.

I’ll double check all of the wires from the switch. While I’m at it I’ll see if I can find and check the fuse, there may be one near the battery where the wires are connected to it.

I’ll report back, thanks again for the input and the humor!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be honest, I work with systems that have hundreds of wires, from power/ground to signal and telemetry. If I opened a can on my system and saw what you posted, I would undo it and start over and run them neatly, verify what is what and build it back to spec (your wiring diagram).

That way you know what is what and what everything goes to. Just zip tying them does nothing to help you know possible fail points etc.

MarcusOReallyus

Since you have a diagram that says the brown wire should be grounded, I think it's reasonably safe to ground it. BUT!

Don't do it permanently. Just touch it to a known good ground as a test. If things work, you know you are good. Simple.

But I would not ground it at that bolt, or any other. Since someone brought up neatness (which makes troubleshooting easier), I'd extend it over to the main ground near the parking brake mechanism. One ground to rule them all and in the neatness ground them.

And yeah, get busy with some zip ties. At the least.

It would sure be nice to know where the other ends of those wires turn up.

MarcusOReallyus

To be honest, I work with systems that have hundreds of wires, from power/ground to signal and telemetry. If I opened a can on my system and saw what you posted, I would undo it and start over and run them neatly, verify what is what and build it back to spec (your wiring diagram).

That way you know what is what and what everything goes to. Just zip tying them does nothing to help you know possible fail points etc.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And not to brag or make you feel bad, but this is what I'm talking about. This is a subsea robot I work on (Remotely Operated Vehicle):

Screenshot_20210901-123821_Gallery.jpg

This is the square can in the upper right of the above picture while we were repairing it:

Screenshot_20210901-123837_Gallery.jpg

And this is it 8 hours later:

Screenshot_20210901-123847_Gallery.jpg

If I have to reopen that can, I can instantly see where everything is, I can use my drawings to check wires and I know where all the power/ground/telemetry stuff is.

jplace1011

And not to brag or make you feel bad, but this is what I'm talking about. This is a subsea robot I work on (Remotely Operated Vehicle):

View attachment 843974

This is the square can in the upper right of the above picture while we were repairing it:

View attachment 843975

And this is it 8 hours later:

View attachment 843976

If I have to reopen that can, I can instantly see where everything is, I can use my drawings to check wires and I know where all the power/ground/telemetry stuff is.
Wooooooow!!

MarcusOReallyus

This is what is known as, "doing it the RIGHT way" Nice! (y)

Long long ago, in a state far, far away, I installed cellphones and business radio equipment for a living. I used to hate doing ambulances, because the wiring was almost always a rats nest. (Tow trucks and stretched limos were almost as bad.) One time I opened an access panel, maybe 14x16", and a basketball sized jumble of wiring jumped out at me. Yes, it was all live, not some leftovers that got jammed in there.

One exception was Stoner Ambulance. Their stuff was all very nice. Everything was dressed and secured. Straight runs with branches at right angles. It was a thing of beauty.

Oh, and easy to work on.

jplace1011

Since you have a diagram that says the brown wire should be grounded, I think it's reasonably safe to ground it. BUT!

Don't do it permanently. Just touch it to a known good ground as a test. If things work, you know you are good. Simple.

But I would not ground it at that bolt, or any other. Since someone brought up neatness (which makes troubleshooting easier), I'd extend it over to the main ground near the parking brake mechanism. One ground to rule them all and in the neatness ground them.

And yeah, get busy with some zip ties. At the least.

It would sure be nice to know where the other ends of those wires turn up.
Ok I touched that bolt and grounded it. One light works, I’m suspecting the other might have a bad bulb. Where exactly should I permanently ground it?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok I touched that bolt and grounded it. One light works, I’m suspecting the other might have a bad bulb. Where exactly should I permanently ground it?

There should be a common ground for the truck near the parking brake.
Should be a couple of round (ring terminals) attached to a bolt attached to the truck sheetmetal.
Somewhat under the dash...

Don't know if you could see it or not, but the green light on the switch should be on too when grounded.
Sounds like you are making good progress.

A SURE FIRE WAY to find a ground would be with a test light. You are looking for ground, so hook the test light to the positive battery post and poke around until the test light comes on. Test light wire (lead) won't be long enough to reach under the truck - so get a piece of scrap wire to extend it temporarily... It won't be pretty, but it gives you the ability to know for sure what you are testing.

Last edited:

jplace1011

There should be a common ground for the truck near the parking brake.
Should be a couple of round (ring terminals) attached to a bolt attached to the truck sheetmetal.
Somewhat under the dash...

Don't know if you could see it or not, but the green light on the switch should be on too when grounded.
Sounds like you are making good progress.

A SURE FIRE WAY to find a ground would be with a test light. You are looking for ground, so hook the test light to the positive battery post and poke around until the test light comes on. Test light wire (lead) won't be long enough to reach under the truck - so get a piece of scrap wire to extend it temporarily... It won't be pretty, but it gives you the ability to know for sure what you are testing.
Thank you! You’re very helpful, I’m going to take a look! I’ll report back!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks