• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KC Lights Stopped Working

jplace1011

Well, sometimes it is better to stop before something gets worse...
Any chance that you can go somewhere that will let you stand and watch?
So you can build your skills?
I’m going to see if 4Wheel Parts can help. If not there’s a few electrical guys in the area I’ll call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m going to see if 4Wheel Parts can help. If not there’s a few electrical guys in the area I’ll call.

Would love to hear what they come up with.
AND really hope that you can see what is going on.
Some folks will - others won't and it is a crap shoot at best.

jplace1011

After finding these electrical guys are a joke and not helpful, I’ve decided to tear out the KC Lights and put new ones In. It’s the easiest and best thing to do. I don’t know what I’m doing and it’s safe to say the guy who put them in likely did t either! Let’s do it right!!

Thank you guys I appreciate all of your help.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found an electric guy, he was busy and wasn’t the most helpful. He told me to check the fuse that goes to the KC Lights. Does this look like it’s blown or Good? I’m thinking it’s good, but what do I know.

Your very last picture - in your left hand doesn't appear to be blown. Best I can tell, that looks like a 20 or 25 amp judging by the thickness of the metal inside the glass. Looks like that fuse has been in there for a while too. Is there anything growing (white) in the brass connections?

jplace1011

Your very last picture - in your left hand doesn't appear to be blown. Best I can tell, that looks like a 20 or 25 amp judging by the thickness of the metal inside the glass. Looks like that fuse has been in there for a while too. Is there anything growing (white) in the brass connections?
No I didn’t see anything like that.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No I didn’t see anything like that.

Fuse looks good, but they are fairly cheap at the local parts house.
Amperage is on the metal end. Maybe get yourself two?

Got a test light? Tried to see if there either end of that fuse holder turns on the test light?
Be careful though... One end (brass piece) should either be hot always - or hot when the key is on - or when the truck lights are turned on.

jplace1011

I noticed the passengers side KC light was out last week. Today I decided to get the part information for the non-working light, assuming the bulb was just bad. In the process I discovered the KC switch inside wasn’t working nor lighting up green. Now neither of the KC lites are working at all.

I’m beginning to think that it’s the Brown Ground Wire, the end opposite of the end that goes into the switch. As you can see it’s just hanging there not connected. That U shaped end. I’m thinking it just came loose. I also noticed there’s a red wire with a black stripe connected to the brown wire. My spotlight hasn’t been working for a while either. Maybe the Red Wire (with Black Stripe) goes to that? Maybe not.

I have 2 Questions:

1. Where should I attach the end of the brown wire?

2. Should I be worried about the red wire, with a black stripe, being attached? As not to fry anything, etc.

Thank You for any help guys, I appreciate it!

Fuse looks good, but they are fairly cheap at the local parts house.
Amperage is on the metal end. Maybe get yourself two?

Got a test light? Tried to see if there either end of that fuse holder turns on the test light?
Be careful though... One end (brass piece) should either be hot always - or hot when the key is on - or when the truck lights are turned on.
*Update*

The problem ended up being one of the wires that was tucked away under the metal plate that’s right there where/near the area you step on to get into the cab. I just wiggled it around and it now works. I think I’ll zip tie and tape it up with some nice cloth electrical tape.

Another lesson learned. The previous owner had good intentions, but could have done a better job.

I ended up cleaning the grounding plate (near the parking brake) contraption as well.

Before

After

I have a few more things to finish under and around the dash. Once I’m done I plan on zip tie-ing and wrapping it all up with nice electrical tape.

I was able to learn about and see where things go. Now I know where most of the wires go as well, that’s very good! I was able to reattach a severed wire, now the CB works! I also got the Spotlight to work again.

Thank you again everyone! I love this *site* for each and every one of you!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
*Update*

The problem ended up being one of the wires that was tucked away under the metal plate that’s right there where/near the area you step on to get into the cab. I just wiggled it around and it now works. I think I’ll zip tie and tape it up with some nice cloth electrical tape.

Another lesson learned. The previous owner had good intentions, but could have done a better job.

I ended up cleaning the grounding plate (near the parking brake) contraption as well.

Before

After

I have a few more things to finish under and around the dash. Once I’m done I plan on zip tie-ing and wrapping it all up with nice electrical tape.

I was able to learn about and see where things go. Now I know where most of the wires go as well, that’s very good! I was able to reattach a severed wire, now the CB works! I also got the Spotlight to work again.

Thank you again everyone! I love this sight for each and every one of you!

Wow! That is great news. Amazing how things work - and these projects definitely take time. We appreciate the update for sure! Your cleanup on the ground block is a definite good plus too!

MarcusOReallyus

If wiggling will fix it, then wiggling it (by driving it) will UN-fix it, and Murphy says it will probably lay low and decide to fail when you need it most.

Securing it will not fix the loose connection. You need to find that loose connection and fix it properly or it will bite you.

Thank you again everyone! I love this sight for each and every one of you!
"site", not "sight" :beer:

jplace1011

If wiggling will fix it, then wiggling it (by driving it) will UN-fix it, and Murphy says it will probably lay low and decide to fail when you need it most.

Securing it will not fix the loose connection. You need to find that loose connection and fix it properly or it will bite you.

"site", not "sight" :beer:
*Site it is!! That’s what I get for writing way too early in the morning!!

You are correct about that wiggling wire. I’ll have to see exactly where it is. Once I do I’ll wrap it up and make it pretty!!

Thanks for the heads up, you’re out of *sight brother!! ;)

jplace1011

Those old KC bulbs use a lot of current (amperage)…I hope the switch goes through a relay to power those lights. If so, make sure the relay is securely mounted & its ground wire is good to go as well.
It does have a relay mounted on the wall. While trying to figure out why the lights weren’t working I went ahead and switched it out with a new one. I also discovered there are 2 fuses near the relay, which I also switched out. I figured why not! Thank you for the advice sir! :)

Last edited:

jplace1011

It does have a relay mounted on the wall. While trying to figure out why the lights weren’t working I went ahead and switched it out with a new one. I also discovered there are 2 fuses near the relay, which I also switched out. I figured why not! Thank you for the advice sir! :)

So it was a Bad Connection, up by one of the lights. There’s a bullet type connection that was disconnected. The plastic sleeve that was covering it was all soft and stretchy, which I think was actually keeping the connection from occurring. As one of you said don’t just settle for wiggling a wire. While I was at it I fixed the Spotlight. Just had to use 2 Allen wrenches to adjust the metal rod. The covers are on the KC lights, it looks like lava!

It was a pain, glad it’s over!! Thanks again!!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So it was a Bad Connection, up by one of the lights. There’s a bullet type connection that was disconnected. The plastic sleeve that was covering it was all soft and stretchy, which I think was actually keeping the connection from occurring. As one of you said don’t just settle for wiggling a wire. While I was at it I fixed the Spotlight. Just had to use 2 Allen wrenches to adjust the metal rod. The covers are on the KC lights, it looks like lava!

It was a pain, glad it’s over!! Thanks again!!

Now you are talkin!
Found it AND fixed it...
You and your truck will be happy!

Congrats on hunting it down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks