• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KC Lights Stopped Working

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took a peek. Doesn’t this look like it could be a place for putting the Ground Wire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That does look like a ground.

Do you have a test light? If so, test as stated above. If you have a multi-meter, set it to test resistance (the symbol looks like this:

Screenshot_20210903-042846_Chrome.jpg

Then place one of your meter probes on the frame (or a known ground) and the other on the head of that bolt. If your reading is 0.00 up to 0.02 you have a good ground.

(What you're measuring with your meter at that point is resistance. If you have low resistance from that bolt to a known ground, it is good to use that bolt as a ground).

And as vanasia stated, clean the prongs. You want as little corrosion as possible on your connections.

jplace1011

Do you have a test light? If so, test as stated above. If you have a multi-meter, set it to test resistance (the symbol looks like this:

View attachment 844115

Then place one of your meter probes on the frame (or a known ground) and the other on the head of that bolt. If your reading is 0.00 up to 0.02 you have a good ground.

(What you're measuring with your meter at that point is resistance. If you have low resistance from that bolt to a known ground, it is good to use that bolt as a ground).

And as vanasia stated, clean the prongs. You want as little corrosion as possible on your connections.
Will do thank you! I have to see if I have Test Light. If not I’ll buy one. Thank you!

jplace1011

Will do thank you! I have to see if I have Test Light. If not I’ll buy one. Thank you!

Since the end of the ground wire has a U shape, should I just loosen the bolt slide it under the ground mount and tighten the bolt? Cleaning things will be involved too if coarse!

nyoffroad

Every one needs a test light! Well ok, most folks should have one in their 'kit' and know how to use to find a 'hot' wire and to find a ground. Next purchase after the test light is a multi meter used to measure the power you find and the resistance.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every one needs a test light! Well ok, most folks should have one in their 'kit' and know how to use to find a 'hot' wire and to find a ground. Next purchase after the test light is a multi meter used to measure the power you find and the resistance.
My troubleshooting life got SO much easier when I learned to use a meter!! Not just for resistance... learning about voltage drop, the relationship between volts and amps vs watts etc has helped make electricity make sense instead of being PFM... (Pretty Freaking Magical)...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And not to brag or make you feel bad, but this is what I'm talking about. This is a subsea robot I work on (Remotely Operated Vehicle):

And this is it 8 hours later:

Yeah, that's all wrong. If you're in North America the big wires should be brought in with a clockwise turn, otherwise the lectrons will be spinning the wrong way.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My troubleshooting life got SO much easier when I learned to use a meter!! Not just for resistance... learning about voltage drop, the relationship between volts and amps vs watts etc has helped make electricity make sense instead of being PFM... (Pretty Freaking Magical)...
Absolutely @kendelrio !

It took me a while, but there is nothing like having a meter and knowing how to use it. That takes you to a whole new level of playing the game. They take you from binary Yes / No answers to "maybe" but with a "why"built into that answer.

I really like your PFM description 'cause it really is!

jplace1011

View attachment 844115

I just got this from my Father In Law. I think it should work huh?

jplace1011

Absolutely. Spend some time with the manual or online learning the functions and you'll be AMAZED at how awesome a tool it is!
Thank you for all of your help everyone. Now this KC switch won’t even turn On when I ground it. This is over my head. I’m taking it in. Thank You for you’re help! Now I know more of my limitations and that’s a Plus!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for all of your help everyone. Now this KC switch won’t even turn On when I ground it. This is over my head. I’m taking it in. Thank You for you’re help! Now I know more of my limitations and that’s a Plus!

You have a short somewhere. Promise.

Did you try taking the assembly off and rewiring according to the drawing?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Agreed! Don't throw in the towel just yet.
It might be that the one light that wouldn't has a short in it and now it is killing the rest of the circuit.

Remember, those two lights don't make the truck run. They are "fluff". Let's work on it a little more.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You may very well be correct sir. I’m not confident at doing any more. I think it’s best I get help. Thank you for your help though. I appreciate you!

Well, sometimes it is better to stop before something gets worse...
Any chance that you can go somewhere that will let you stand and watch?
So you can build your skills?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks