• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KE5EUA's 818 Build

ke5eua

After spending about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong I pulled the full specs for the relays to find out they are temperature control relays. Yep not good for my application.

I'll find a use for them, target practice.

Jeepsinker

Ahhh. An unfortunate waste of funds. At least they looked nice all mounted up. I would probably take a hammer to them after all that work finding out they don't work.:hammer:

ke5eua

Better yet, I'm going to take everything but the relays off since everything else is bolted on and shoot the ever loving crap out of the sheet.

I think 500 rounds should be enough. I'll be sure to video it.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Wasting more money on it now? A drill bit slightly larger than the rivet shank makes removal a cinch. You think 32 rivets is bad... I have to de-rivet and re-rivet nearly the entire body of my mighty mite. Good thing I learned how to rivet in airframe and powerplant school.

ke5eua

Wasting more money on it now? A drill bit slightly larger than the rivet shank makes removal a cinch. You think 32 rivets is bad... I have to de-rivet and re-rivet nearly the entire body of my mighty mite. Good thing I learned how to rivet in airframe and powerplant school.
I know but I need something to shoot at, and relive some stress.

ke5eua

By all means then, go ahead. I'm not going to volunteer to be a target.:p
I have a new sheet of perforated steel that should be here Monday and all the communications gear will be moved over with just leaving the solid state relays.

Figure me and the wife will put about 300 rounds into the plate before I tape some tarnnite to it.

ke5eua

A little background. Had the dog out and was going to video her rounding the geese up. Geese got spooked and starting coming right for me.

Now most people would say don't worry about it, those people don't know geese. I had a flower box right behind me and a fence behind it.

My dog saw them coming for me and when I got up all I could do was laugh because she had feathers in her mouth trying to protect me.

I was attacked by a gaggle when I was a kid and that all I could think of when I saw them heading for me, hence the "oh s!"

Funny thing is the dog wasn't even interested in the geese till I was in trouble.

ke5eua

Today I got the new box wired, tomorrow and Tuesday will be the relays and Wednesday the truck will be alive.

All switches were supposed to be off, looks like I left the fuel pump in the on position.
IMG_0109.jpg
Battery switch on, illuminates the bottom light on all the switches.
IMG_0110.jpg
All switched but the power switch in the on position. This shows that the fuel pump, and engine start need the power switch to be on to operate.
IMG_0114.jpg
All switches in the on position
IMG_0112.jpg
Battery switch in the off position with all the rest still in the on position.
IMG_0113.jpg

Basically one main 12v positive comes in to the battery. Each switch then has it's on independent relay on the electronics panel to handle the load instead of the switch. This also made it easier to have all the switches on one voltage and have the relays handle whether or not it need 24 or 12 passed through it.

The battery switch is going to replace the dash battery switch, and the power and engine start is going to replace the run/start switch.

I have some more switched on the way from the outback to fill the holes and replace the red radio switch with a green one.

The radio is my 900MHz radio, Kenwood TK-981. The two you see in the background, top one is the ID-880H, and under it is the FT-857D, and the Dell laptop sitting on some cans of peas, lol

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks