• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kia Military Vehicles

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
I was searching to for the stock wheel size on the 5 ton SEORTM and a video for KIA Military Vehicles popped up in the search.
Even though it was from 2010, there were some pretty unique designs presented. Maybe a new source for parts.
Just wander into you local KIA dealership and get parts for your shop van.
kia shop van.jpg

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdHzBkkQvcc

bonedoc

I find it interesting that on the 2.5 ton models, when the video shows the underneath the torque rods have a metal plate on the back of them that appears to be there to stop the potential pull out failure of the end bushings. Curious why if that is how they being manufactured now, why none of the replacement bushings are designed with a plate to lock them in. I just rebuilt a complete set to put in my truck and it has me thinking of adding that. I'd think that a machine shop could easily drill and tap the backs, then bolt a square metal plate to back of rod to eliminate/minimize chance of end getting pulled out.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I never would've thought they did military trucks.

They supply almost everything for the RoK's Armed Forces. To include modified (COTS) SUVs. I've posted pictures from when I was in the RoK previously.

Sometimes you can't tell the Kia from the Kaiser until you start looking at the details.

JDToumanian

I find it interesting that on the 2.5 ton models, when the video shows the underneath the torque rods have a metal plate on the back of them that appears to be there to stop the potential pull out failure of the end bushings. Curious why if that is how they being manufactured now, why none of the replacement bushings are designed with a plate to lock them in. I just rebuilt a complete set to put in my truck and it has me thinking of adding that. I'd think that a machine shop could easily drill and tap the backs, then bolt a square metal plate to back of rod to eliminate/minimize chance of end getting pulled out.

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spotted this model kit today and thought of this thread. I built a 1/35 M35A2 when I was a kid, it's long gone but this one would be a fun complement to a US kit.
IMG_7398.jpg

Truckdriver47

There have been several series of these trucks made by Korea. The first was the K511 (m35a2 copy) and the k711 (m813 copy) produced in the late 80's early 90's through early 2000's. They are almost the exact same trucks respectively, the only difference I can find in them is Kia uses German built MAN diesel engines, which is a step up in reliability, power, and speed over the multi-fuel. Parts are also far more readily had. The second series is the km250 (m35) and km500 (m813). These have the different grill and headlight style, as well as the modified and improved interior. Both still have MAN engines.

I'm currently in Korea now, will be for the next 4 months or so, and since I speak Korean, I plan to visit their factory over here, and see what the possibility / cost is to sell them to the civilian market in the U.S., as well as I am going to contact their Dept. of Defense, to see what the availability is for the used versions of all their trucks coming out of service.

My question is: what would you guys like to see more of? The copy of the M715, M35, or M800 series? I'll need to be able to approach Kia saying there is actually a market people will by there trucks in the U.S. if they will sell them there.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions on these trucks etc. I will include some pictures of their trucks.
From Left to right
(Far Left) K511 KM250 K711 KM500 K311 (Far Right)
c0049015_4b321fb75d795.jpgk51-cargo-2.jpgK-711_Truck_with_M114_Howitzer.jpgUnknown.jpeg17018d7e-ec70-43c2-958f-52dda7ec5beb.jpg

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take one of these, if they're selling.

rofl

Edit: So, this is an official RoKA vehicle. I saw a few of them in service (~3, one of which was a CG's truck). They had some nice off-road tires as an option too. and a Radio set or similar in the trunk.

Attachments

Last edited:

Truckdriver47

Dang, I'll have to look into those as well. I know they make a small 1/4 ton (basically their version of the jeep) military vehicle, but I am the guy that goes for anything 2.5 tons and up, haha.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really hope they kept simple systems on these trucks, went away from all of the electronics, tire inflation systems, etc. used on the 900 series trucks. Seeing how many owners have problems with all of the components on the 900 series I think it is a big mistake for the armed forces to go to that kind of sophistication for a truck that soldiers will depend on, possibly ultimately to save their lives under harsh conditions away from repair services. The M series vehicles are simple systems to maintain. They can run without batteries if given a push start. Keep the ability of the truck to run and drive away from being controlled by a bunch of electronic systems so dependability is at the highest level. It is my opinion, the simpler the better for dependable service! I have always had the impression the Russian Ural trucks are tough puppies, an example of a truck simple in design and with the ability to keep going under really adverse conditions. I'll bet a steak dinner they do not have all of the sophisticated systems prone to problems we have gone to. Maybe all of the sophistication was due to EPA. EPA regulators very seldom have to live or die by their BS regulations to save the world like a soldier will ultimately have to with the trucks, so they do not know or care what the real world is.

Another Ahab

I really hope they kept simple systems on these trucks, went away from all of the electronics, tire inflation systems, etc. used on the 900 series trucks. Seeing how many owners have problems with all of the components on the 900 series I think it is a big mistake for the armed forces to go to that kind of sophistication for a truck that soldiers will depend on, possibly ultimately to save their lives under harsh conditions away from repair services. The M series vehicles are simple systems to maintain. They can run without batteries if given a push start. Keep the ability of the truck to run and drive away from being controlled by a bunch of electronic systems so dependability is at the highest level. .
You likely got a good point there. The "regulations" aren't all totally BS, but then there's something to what you say, also.

Somewhere in the middle of the two issues is probably optimal.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll take one of these, if they're selling.

rofl

Edit: So, this is an official RoKA vehicle. I saw a few of them in service (~3, one of which was a CG's truck). They had some nice off-road tires as an option too. and a Radio set or similar in the trunk.
Isn't that a Suburu? I notice the name is blocked out.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really hope they kept simple systems on these trucks, went away from all of the electronics, tire inflation systems, etc. used on the 900 series trucks. Seeing how many owners have problems with all of the components on the 900 series I think it is a big mistake for the armed forces to go to that kind of sophistication for a truck that soldiers will depend on, possibly ultimately to save their lives under harsh conditions away from repair services. The M series vehicles are simple systems to maintain. They can run without batteries if given a push start. Keep the ability of the truck to run and drive away from being controlled by a bunch of electronic systems so dependability is at the highest level. It is my opinion, the simpler the better for dependable service! I have always had the impression the Russian Ural trucks are tough puppies, an example of a truck simple in design and with the ability to keep going under really adverse conditions. I'll bet a steak dinner they do not have all of the sophisticated systems prone to problems we have gone to. Maybe all of the sophistication was due to EPA. EPA regulators very seldom have to live or die by their BS regulations to save the world like a soldier will ultimately have to with the trucks, so they do not know or care what the real world is.

I sure have to agree with you on that. The most expensive of the mil vehicles, the Stewart and Stevenson's, are the ones always being towed out of high water and or getting their inhabitants killed. All that electronics is expensive in more than just money...people dying. And of course NOT made in the USA.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their 1 1/4 ton truck success story is actually almost a licensed copy of the not so successful but highly popular M715

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks