• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Last ditch fuel choices for a Multifuel....

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sailor2000 said:
What does the Multifuel think of ethanol?????
I am also curious as to the effects of ethanol burning on the multi? I can make bio, I can make ethanol, so I could have lots of stock on hand. If it were a get the heck out of dodge type event, I would pitch the totes into the bed, rig up some kind of on the fly refueling method (i.e. valve operated from cab) so I wouldn't even have to stop.

I agree, the fresh oil in restaurants can be upwards of 30 or so gallons. Also a sams club or super hardware store would have the 5 gallons for frying turkeys, especially this time of year. Lots and lots that folks would pass on for 'survival' that could feed your multi.

The home heating oil would do as well. Also, if you happen to find a locomotive left behind, they store between 2,000- 6,000 gallons of off road diesel. Even if you filled your tank and every container you could, I doubt it would be missed when they got back.

I agree with Builder, don't destroy transformers and the like unless it is the end or a matter of life or limb. But if it is the end, hand me a chainsaw, those poles are coming down! :lol: But there is plenty laying around at ground level. the poles would be an absolute last resort.

Actually, if it were the end, I would sit at home and work on perfecting a Southern Comfort-like homebrew. what else am I going to do? :wink:

ygmir

RE: Old Gasoline - will it work

I've heard of a few fellows, probably on this group, who claim to have gotten their duece home by running a propane line into the air intake and using the valve as a throttle.
In theory, it should work fine..........the diesel engine didn't originate with injectors, it was intake fed.......coal dust..........
Henry

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Last ditch fuel choices for a Multifuel....

gimpyrobb said:
Well don't forget that the fuel is heated while you are running in normal conditions. Add a little at a time(god knows how much)and you should be ok. I would think the wmo would be the best option of your choices. Keep an eye on your filter stash!
True, it heats up to about 120°F or so in the Summer time. Problem is to get it started after a cold night.
Heating the fuel tank one way or another beyond selfheating adds a lot of options IMHO, even insulating it would help.
I have installed a heated fuel filter on the 757 and will experiment with it, just circulating the fuel through it before starting the engine will warm the fuel, just don't know how much yet and it runs on battery power....

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WMO will give you a fight when tring to start a cold engine. I expermented with about 70% last spring. It was about 45 here. Witch is really cold for SE TEXAS. It didn't want to start. It tried and would stall. A quick shot of starting fluid got it running. It ran pretty bad at first. I figured liquid oil was probally on top of the pistons. I let it idle untill it smoothed out. I'm guessing that's a good way to foul injectors and coat exaust valves with crap. I've seen ships have fires in the exaust manafolds when ran too cold. Heavy fuel oil is used motor oil. This will over speed the turbo and then you have a nice sized hand granade mounted to your engine. Does anyone make fuel heaters? The tube stye like the ones on CUCV would work good. But they are too small diameter.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Remember the cleansing quality of alternative fuels.
After the laquer thinner fuel fiasco I prob have the cleanest fuel system in the world but it cost me three fuel filters and a running fit to correct the problem.
That 2.40 a gallon fuel got a lot more expensive. :(
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Except in an extreme emergency.
On the otherhand I paid 3.13 for diesel yesterday :shock: and it's killing me and cramping my style in going to meetings and rallys.
I did the Tannerhill, Al one yesterday ant it cost me about 140 bucks for fuel.
I am prob going to go the WVO route since I can fab most of the stuff and have a source for good clean oil.

OPEC SUCKS!!!!!

[/b]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lamp oil is pretty close to kerosene. witch will work well. Colman fuel Or white gas or mogas will work but i'd cut it with some motor oil. It's pretty dry as far as lube goes.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, fresh restaurant fryer oil has gone up from about $2.85 last year to about $4.15/gal now....

The deli where I get my oil now doesn't change it as often and the used oil is darker. Wonder if there is a difference in the flavor of their fries? :-(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps this will be an illustration of my simplistic mind but I need to start sourcing even a small amount of WVO. Something about the smell of it burning that appeals to me. Even 5 gallons in a tank changes the aroma of the burnt fuel! Now speaking of last ditch fuels, when I got back from GA my transfer tank had about 4 gallons of blended diesel fuel/ filtered motor oil and 10 gallons of filtered transmission fluid. Upon arrival home I had 3 cubies left, 2 with oil/diesel mix and one with straigh diesel. All of this went in the transfer tank. I then found 2 more cubies that Bjorn had left me 2 years ago with WVO. Neither smelled rancid so I dumped that in too. Both trucks got filled up on this mix and it works great.

FreightTrain

Banned

Fuel additives,Fresh motor oil,used motor oil,Vegi(use a old pair of blue Jeans to filter),Gasoline,Kero,Alcohol(but most of that will be gone first by looters!Might be some rubbing left),Check the rail yards for last ditch.Locomotives,tank cars,Fuel in reefer cars,Junk yards might have old semi trucks with tanks of fuel and the legal ones drain all the fluids into big tanks(ATF,Fuel,Motor oil,etc).Don't forget the quicky oil change places and most Auto Parts stores now have big tanks for drop offs.Airports.Race tracks usually have fuel on hand(how will a multi handle 115 purple stuff?).

FreightTrain

Banned

Oh yea,I second the 24volt pump and slave hook up idea.Speaking of that.Yo,wrecker.How much for one of those plugs.Would be perfect for this setup.

You could rig up several sizes of hose.Have a Full size hose for diesel tanks and smaller hoses for abandoned cars where a larger hose won't fit.

Oh yea,Check factories.They usually have fuel on hand or oil for machinery and fork lifts.

Has someone been watching Jericho?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Shelf life of diesel fuel remains a mistery to me. Back in about 1995 I bought an M54A2C from GSA. The mechanics at the shop advised me it was parked there 10 year prior. They knew it ran when parked but couldn't recall what the reason was that they parked it. Someone had pirated the turbo so I had to add one of them. Bottom line is I got it running and drove it 20 miles on that old fuel before the truck caught fire. In the same sale I bought a deuce for $50. The wrecker had to fight with it to break it free from the asphalt. When he did there were big patches of rubber that remained stuck to the asphalt. For me, diesel has no shelf life, in a mulit anyway.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use STA-BIL in engines that will be sitting for a while. I also use it in diesel that i store.

ygmir

Stanadyne has a great product, cheap to use and should keep it good for several years.
Water is the main culprit here, as long as it's in a closed system. Algae, too.

bottleworks

I pulled an old diesel VW from my friends farm that sat for over 10 years there. The tank was full of #2. After re priming the fuel system, it fired right up. I ran the whole tank before I switched the VW to B100.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks