• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Last ditch fuel choices for a Multifuel....

Jake0147

Probably the same as gasoline, I can remember searching a local bone yard for a demo derby cars, I experienced what the guys there all said. Two, three, five year old stuff with five year old gas was gummed, sludged, and unstartable unless you were pouring your own fuel, ether, propane, carb cleaner, or anything else that'd burn straight down the carburetor. Ten or fifteen year old jalopies however would often start and run on the fuel that was in it. I suspect that some of the similar "improvements" to diesel fuel have some of the same results.

sailor2000

Recent conversation with significant other who sometimes reads my threads here;
Her:" Baby?"
Me: " Yes?"
Her: "Will you teach me to be a better shot with the .22?"
Me: "Sure Darlin.... why?"
Her: "Cause I want to be the one pulling the trigger rather than the one trying to catch the transformer oil in a washtub"...
;-)

TechMav

Recent conversation with significant other who sometimes reads my threads here;
Her:" Baby?"
Me: " Yes?"
Her: "Will you teach me to be a better shot with the .22?"
Me: "Sure Darlin.... why?"
Her: "Cause I want to be the one pulling the trigger rather than the one trying to catch the transformer oil in a washtub"...
;-)

Shared that one with my wife... she agreed 100% there. But, she's already a good shot, so she would probably offer to at least take turns.

mogmaner

I have a 2.8 Isuzi trooper engine running a 45 kva gen youses all my wast oil thined with whats to hand then run through a 3 micron filter ,has heated fuel filter little slugish till up to temp then runs fine .

tsmall07

Where do you guys get your filters for wmo? I'd like to go to at least 5 microns. It would be easiest to get a cone filter (like a coffee filter) but I don't know if they're made like that. All I can find is cylindrical cartridge filters.

jag7720

What it boils down to is - As long as the truck is running, you can use just about any petro based oil or CLEAN veggie oil. If you have diesel on hand you are better off mixing then running straight (pick your alt)

I had a friend with an old mercedes and he would pour anything in there... bacon grease, lamp oil, tranny oil, engine oil, kerosene...

What ever it is, make sure it is CLEAN. Stay away from waste veggie oil as you will clog your filter in about 10 miles or less. WVO is very dirty... you can't even see the particles and generally it is saturated with water.

I would NOT use used and unfiltered (5 micron or less) ATF/Gear lube/engine oil. They will ALL have particle of something in them and you will just clog filters or damage injectors.

baxter

This is a great thread keep the ideas coming, I am in the process of a 24v 3 micron pump and filter. I have an endless supply of used motor oil and ATF.
Vaughn

I would think a direct suction line and pump type system would work best with three filters. (or two, depending. Filter one: on the end of suction line. Coarse filter sock or screen, keeps out chunks. Next in line, pump. Filter two: cleanable 35 micron stainless filter (see website) Filter three: spin on type 5 micron fuel filter.

This way, you have less expense and downtime changing clogged filters.

Cleanable Oil Filters

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That website is for motorcycle filters. Tiny. Can you get a housing that doesn't come with an engine block attached to use these filters in other applications?

I like the idea, I would definitly get one if they sold it in a stand-alone housing.

Thanks for the link Stryker, interesting filter medium.

baxter

I was at Napa the other day researching the oil fiter base and they have several. I am going to get the one with 1 1/2 " inlet and will filter down to 3 microns. After reading the Strykers post I think I will do as he suggests, first a sck filter and then a cleanable filter and then a final filter. The filter base at Napa was about $40 and the filter about $13 sorry I dont recall the Napa # I will be back to Napa in the next few days I could get the number if needed.
I also wanted to add that the base will flow a max of 40 Gal./min.

Vaughn

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks in advance for posting the part numbers Baxter. Please, for anyone who has a good setup, post your part numbers and where you got it.

Here is what I am thinking to use:

LiquiDynamics Filter Cart — 7 GPM, 10-Micron, Model# 33275 | Filters | Northern Tool + Equipment

The LiquiDynamics Filter Cart comes with a 7 GPM 10 micron filter, and considering the way it's built, additional filters can be easily added.

This Golden Rod stainless steel strainer at 178 micron would be my choice for prefilter, Model # 5750641 for when the link below breaks in the future.
Golden Rod Stainless Steel Strainer — 80 mesh, 178-Micron Particles, Model# 5750641 | Filters | Northern Tool + Equipment

The stainless steel strainer could live in this filter housing
Goldenrod Water-Block Fuel Filter — 1in. Fittings, Model# 496 | Filters | Northern Tool + Equipment Goldenrod Model # 496 in case the link goes away.

What I have yet to find, and am hoping another member will come up with, is part numbers for a sub 5 micron spin on filter base and cartridge. What's really nice is when we have a Baldwin, WIX, or Napa filter part number as they are easily cross referenced.

Suggestions? How about part numbers for a 1 micron final filter?

Thanks!

JeremyB

Going back to the original question. I would run it on the sweat and tears of the hippies and tree huggers I would be passing, because their hybrids got stuck on a fallen pine cone or swamped by the first 6'' of water they encounterd.

G-Force

Instead of filters you guys should think about finding a used centrifuge to filter with like the one I uploaded the pic from ebay. Cost 9,000 but in the long run it will save you money on filters. This is only if you have alot of oil to filter. Just have to heat it up to sep temp and you'd be surprised what you get out of the stuff. And when its dirty you just take it apart and clean it. Instead of throwing filters away. Oh yeah, did I forge to mention I work for the manufacturer????

Attachments

G-Force

Jag7720,
The machine I posted the pic of is a 9000 rpm unit. Stainless steel bowl. Our machines are used to filter fuel oil and lube oil on ships.....Have you ever seen a ship at a jiffy lube??? Our machines a a little bit more complicated then what you have. Oh yeah, that 9000 was a used unit. We sell equipment that can range in price up to a million dollars. But the nice part about it is that they are constant feed and self cleaning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks