• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leak: Thoughts before degreasing and diagnose

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP803a new to me, is leaking diesel. I filled with a little diesel (all I had on hand)
hit the dead crank switch, turned the master switch & it runs nice . except it was covered in diesel after I turned it off. (oil filter side only)
I plan to clean her up and pinpoint the leak, thought I’d ask: Any idea of where the problem is coming from?

Also does anyone know where to get replacement light covers for the fault indicator panel ?

I have a few missing (see photo)

Attachments

Last edited:

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the fuel lines coming off the fuel manifold are leaking. I had to change mine out on an 802A. Your return fuel line looks wet, too.
Thanks Okay, sounds good. I will go ahead and do that . I remember reading the threads about 3.5mm - 4.0 mm debate in 2015 (European Diesel engines)
@Daybreak posted a good deal For 5 meters of CRP N203535-5 CONTITECH Diesel Hose. I will probably go with that.

Zed254

There is also a post about using a dremel tool to cut the crimped connections off of the fuel manifold. I used it as a model for when I did my 802 but cannot find it. When you do that work use screw clamps instead of the OEM ones. I had leaks with the new fuel line until I changed out the hose clamps to the screw type.

I have not needed to change the return line yet, but the guys who've done it talk about plastic tee fittings on top of the engine. I ordered some metal tee fittings for when I do need to change it out.

Post 2: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-80x-fuel-return-line.166040/

Last edited:

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a post about using a dremel tool to cut the crimped connections off of the fuel manifold. I used it as a model for when I did my 802 but cannot find it. When you do that work use screw clamps instead of the OEM ones. I had leaks with the new fuel line until I changed out the hose clamps to the screw type.

I have not needed to change the return line yet, but the guys who've done it talk about plastic tee fittings on top of the engine. I ordered some metal tee fittings for when I do need to change it out.

Post 2: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-80x-fuel-return-line.166040/
Nice! I will definitely use that method and that type of fitting . thanks for the heads up .

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, to start you off in a better direction. :)
Start here in this sticky thread.
(1) MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts | SteelSoldiers
The second post has quick links to stuff you want to know.
The third post has the links to all the TM's which cover the MEP-802A and MEP-803A

First, check on the quad winding fuse.
Second, change the OIL and FILTER!
Third, change both fuel filters.
Fuel return line is 1 item, the other line is different, fuel supply line. Both are talked about under the fuel return line quick link.
TIP: stay with the plastic fuel return line tees.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
On the cup fuel filter, make sure that little rubber gasket stays in place when putting it back up.

Turn the S-1 to prime and run, and wait a while for the fuel to get all filled in the filters. (Maybe 4 minutes.)

Be careful removing the spin-on fuel filter. Sometimes they were put on dry, and tightened by King Kong.

They all make a mess. Why clean twice.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah all of the soft lines you have photographed need to go. You can go with the OEM Contitech stuff, or go with Gates 27000 1/8" fuel line (available on the spool at a lot of local auto stores). Use hose clamps wherever possible on the primary lines, and little zip ties up on the returns.

Edit: And definitely if you have the roof off to do the return lines, take the side panel off near the separator so you can attack it with minimal swearing.

Guyfang

Staff member
This part (Lens cover) was NOT stocked by the military.

I THINK, the below listed lens cover will fit. Not sure, as its simply been too long ago for me to remember something like this. There is at least 4 different NSN's and more part numbers and suppliers then you can count in an hour.

LENS, LIGHT
Part #: LCI2RN2
NSN: 6210-00-990-4637

Tech data.
THREAD CLASS2A
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
OVERALL LENGTH0 601/1000 INCHES MINIMUM AND 159/250 INCHES MAXIMUM
EFFECTIVE LENGTH0 423/1000 INCHES MINIMUM AND 219/500 INCHES MAXIMUM
MOUNTING DEVICE QUANTITY1
EFFECTIVE DIAMETER0 219/500 INCHES NOMINAL
END ITEM IDENTIFICATIONAIRCRAFT, (AC-130H, MC-130H, EC-130E, HC-130); TORPEDO SYSTEMS, MK 4
MOUNTING METHODEXTERNAL THREAD
THREAD SERIESUNEF
LIGHT TRANSMISSION DESIGNTRANSPARENT LENS
THREAD QUANTITY32 PER INCH
THREAD DIAMETER0 39/125 INCHES
COLORRED, IDENTIFICATION LENS
MATERIALPLASTIC LENS
SURFACE CONDITIONSMOOTH BACK
SURFACE CONDITIONSMOOTH FACE
STYLE DESIGNATORSTOVEPIPE

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This part (Lens cover) was NOT stocked by the military.

I THINK, the below listed lens cover will fit. Not sure, as its simply been too long ago for me to remember something like this. There is at least 4 different NSN's and more part numbers and suppliers then you can count in an hour.

LENS, LIGHT
Part #: LCI2RN2
NSN: 6210-00-990-4637

Tech data.
THREAD CLASS2A
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
OVERALL LENGTH0 601/1000 INCHES MINIMUM AND 159/250 INCHES MAXIMUM
EFFECTIVE LENGTH0 423/1000 INCHES MINIMUM AND 219/500 INCHES MAXIMUM
MOUNTING DEVICE QUANTITY1
EFFECTIVE DIAMETER0 219/500 INCHES NOMINAL
END ITEM IDENTIFICATIONAIRCRAFT, (AC-130H, MC-130H, EC-130E, HC-130); TORPEDO SYSTEMS, MK 4
MOUNTING METHODEXTERNAL THREAD
THREAD SERIESUNEF
LIGHT TRANSMISSION DESIGNTRANSPARENT LENS
THREAD QUANTITY32 PER INCH
THREAD DIAMETER0 39/125 INCHES
COLORRED, IDENTIFICATION LENS
MATERIALPLASTIC LENS
SURFACE CONDITIONSMOOTH BACK
SURFACE CONDITIONSMOOTH FACE
STYLE DESIGNATORSTOVEPIPE
Wow there sure is a plethora of them . This is the first unit I’ve ran across that’s missing the covers.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah all of the soft lines you have photographed need to go. You can go with the OEM Contitech stuff, or go with Gates 27000 1/8" fuel line (available on the spool at a lot of local auto stores). Use hose clamps wherever possible on the primary lines, and little zip ties up on the returns.

Edit: And definitely if you have the roof off to do the return lines, take the side panel off near the separator so you can attack it with minimal swearing.
Ok , I will definitely go ahead and replace the entire run . I went with the Gates. thanks for all the suggestions.

Attachments

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just take your time, and put a touch of oil on the ends of each return line section and they will slide onto the barbs easily. Should be the last time you have to do the job.
how have you guys removed these crimped lines?
I’m having some trouble at this point. I already removed allot of the other stuff. It’s Moving along well excerpt these.

Attachments

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how have you guys removed these crimped lines?
I’m having some trouble at this point. I already removed allot of the other stuff. It’s Moving along well excerpt these.
Make your life easier and pull the muffler and air cleaner. Trust me.

And as the others have said, dremel will take them off the quickest. Just be careful not to lose track and cut up the barb on the hard line.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you measure the hole diameter for the missing LED lens with some calipers? I can look around at parts suppliers and try to locate suitable replacements.
ok I have new measurements , and I’ve been looking around at various suppliers . The closest I’ve found is the cover for a T3 bulb cover measuring 10.55 mm .

here are photos of more accurate measurements.
existing bulb circumference
hole diameter

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks