• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

taylordc15

I read this thread when it first started but have not been following it since I will be getting laid off later this year which is preventing me from bidding on a BMY. I would have donated earlier had I known it had progressed to this stage. I wonder how many other people just haven't been reading the thread because they don't have a 900 series 5 ton.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout and Swiss (and the others)

Hang in there guys. I know this feeling like trowing in, to heck with it etc etc. Banged my head against that wall so often I have extra bumps to show for it. Especially with our US non-profit.

Then I got into an enlightening argument with two of my best friends (Dutch). My remark "you guys bring an expensive bottle when you come for dinner, but never thought about skipping the bottle or bringing a cheaper one and donated a bit to our organization. And do not tell me that you cannot spare 5 EUR".

There actually came a deadly silence, then the remark came that they never thought about it like that. The bottle was personal and donating to my organization was something else (if they do not donate, the money comes out of my private pocket and I find that highly personal :wink:) Also, they thought that donating $5 would not help and they actually felt embarrassed to discuss that they even thought about donating so little and they could not (or did not want to) give more.

I think that this is a big problem:
- people think that THEIR $5 will not help
- people are embarrassed to actually donate only $5 to a on-time cause.
- people cannot donate more, or do not consider it high enough priority for that, but are even more embarrassed to say so.

One dollar every month is OK; in Europe, a lot of people monthly donate $1 here, $1 there, say per family around $5 to $15 per month. In the end, that counts up to millions every year for those organizations (like Red Cross, Flying Doctors, Greenpeace etc).

We begged endlessly but no dice. Donating $5 is too embarrassing or useless for their own feeling, and $100 or more too much. Does not help how much you shout that for you as organization 400 x $5 is the same as one time $2000. And after some shouting, people start turn away. Never figured out or managed to break through that and never managed the one big donation either. :sad: aua

Temporarily changed my signature. If it is too pushing or against rules or your wishes, let me know and I will change it back.

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Mac here, new to this forum and new to Military Vehicle ownership. We're paying attention up here in the Pacific Northwest, and we're behind you in this fight all the way. I only stumbled across this thread last night, just finished getting caught up on it a few minutes ago. Being a currently out-of-work IT geek and struggling to make next month's rent, I still sent what little I could. Every little bit helps, some things are more important than others. This is one of them.

Keep fighting the good fight, and know that we'll be with you to the bitter end. I'll send more when I have more to send. We're in this to win.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Brother swiss you are doing a fine job and taking the exact course of action we need to make this issue be resolved in our favor. I thank you for all your efforts and you know I've got your back.

Our State Towing Association pays a lobbyist over 25K a year to look out for new legislation that may effect our industry and to notify us and help fight what may adversely effect us. They also help us introduce legislation we want to get passed.

Without the lobbyist we would have little chance of getting anything done.
That money to pay the lobbyist "SHOULD COME" from all the folks in Georgia who own a tow truck but in reality the money comes from about 3% of the registered towers. The rest just sit back and enjoy the fruits of our efforts.

You have "movers and shakers" in life swiss, and you Sir are one....then you have the "clingons"!

God Bless and keep up the fire....and let me know when it's time....you know what I mean.:beer:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss, I have put a $200.00 check in the mail for the lobbyist. I really appreciate your efforts trying to get this idiotic regulation corrected.

3dAngus

Folks, we have one more day on this one, to raise needed revenue to make things happen.

I admit, I was a bit uncouth in bringing out the publishing of the proposed legislative changes. I do feel it is necessary people see it, feel it, and either embrace what they see or don't, but you can still support the effort, even if not in complete agreement with the manner in which it is written. I personally find it appropriate as written, though with my current MV's, it does not help me personally. Now that I have read it, if asked, I can honestly say what it is all about, and stand up to the position of support with integrity. It is our civic duty to understand these things we fund.

So please, read it on post number 236 provided by Swiss, and support this one. He has gone way out of his way for the greater good. Almost anyone can send in a $5 donor pledge, and you can paypal to;
galegislation@gmail.com
Remember, your state may be next, and you may want/need our support as well.
And if, for whatever reason, you cannot come up with $5, believe me, you will be forgiven, but I am sure the fighting forces behind this one would sure appreciate an effort to do so.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to thank the 22 members who have stood up to make a difference and unselfishly scarified something to help others.

A personal THANK YOU to each of you. Each of you have stepped up to make a difference.

I am happy to report that we are at 56% of our goal of $3000.00 with the total to date at $1686.90.

3dAngus

People, that is 22 individuals who donated. Let's make it MORE!

From this point on, I will match all donations in the sum total of $10 or less. Swiss, please keep up with it as of 7:46PM on this Sunday night, and let me know the balance I owe in my fund matching effort to help get the pot up there where it belongs.

Smaller donations matter! Please help us help you.

KenaAuto

Sent a little help from Arizona. If this can happen in GA, it could happen here someday. I will admit, I haven't read all 10,000 posts, but I can easily see the importance of what you guys are doing and the steepness of the hill you are trying to climb. Thank you and good luck. Ken

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, thank you for the contribution. I have not checked any of the state laws beyond Georgia yet but the federal code is very clear that any vehicle less than 25 years old must be certified as meeting FMVSS, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Thus any Military Vehicle that is owned by members that is less than 25 years old is illegal unless specifically outlined in your specific state laws.

To my limited knowledge Wisconsin was the first state that specific laws were passed to allow the ownership of these vehicles. We are working hard to change the laws in Georgia thus providing another state with specific laws that cover this issue. Again I have no knowledge of any state laws other than my research into Wisconsin and Georgia.

In the bigger picture this is not an issue limited to the state of Georgia.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the folks in Iowa having problems with this also ?
With close to 100 trucks and 200 people at the 2013 SSGR in october , you would think more than 23 members would show support for this.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Isn't the folks in Iowa having problems with this also ?
With close to 100 trucks and 200 people at the 2013 SSGR in october , you would think more than 23 members would show support for this.
It's the "new norm" in America...10% do the heavy lifting and 90% take a free ride.:cry:

KenaAuto

I have very little knowledge of Az (or any other state) laws. All I know is that AM General is listed as a vehicle here and getting a title was painless. Legal? I don't know. Maybe I'll find time to research so I'm not blindsided some day.

Aerialfred

PP - never thought about the Irony of this - I am formerly from Michigan - a YANKEE and under breath hated by almost all true Southerners - and here were are trying to get a Southern State law changed = go figure and what are the odds of that.

95 member on - 77 guests - (yes some of these have donated but just doing a sample)
Total 172 - needed yet $2000 - equals $11.62 each to hit the goal - chump change.

I might even have enough left over not to be eating squirrels at the cookout :naner:

Zout,

pm sent.

Thanks,
Fred

iatractor

Iowa modified their laws and went into effect July of 2012. Without getting too complex and detailed, it boils down to whatever year the vehicle is, it has to meet the fmcsa rule of that year. If the fmcsa wasn't in place the year of manufacture, then the vehicle doesn't have to meet the standard. It's a little more complex and a few other deals tied with the legislation.

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Okay, so I'm really new to all of this. I've wanted a deuce and a half all of my life. Of course, I was young and ignorant, and didn't realize what I really wanted was a 5-ton. Now I have one, and I'm learning an awful lot thanks to this community and the forums here. It's been an eye-opening experience. Especially the legal aspects surrounding this hobby so many laughingly refer to as a madness. I guess I've caught it, too.

I don't understand this mentality at all. More people from outside Georgia who aren't directly affected are getting involved and supporting this effort than people inside who are directly affected by what's going on. If we're going to expend the resources to own and maintain these vehicles, doesn't it make sense that we also expend the resources necessary to keep them legal to operate on public roads, too? Less than 30 people, including people who really don't have anything extra to give, have chosen to donate to this cause. That speaks well of a select few, and doesn't speak very well of the community as a whole, I'm sorry to say.

Maybe I'll never live in Georgia. Maybe I'll never even visit. If I ever did, I don't know that I'd have reason or opportunity to try to title and register a more modern Military Vehicle there. Even so, it makes sense to me that what's going on there could very well happen where-ever I happen to be, and that I have a responsibility as a member of this community to get involved and provide all the support I can. Nobody is exempt, nobody is immune. Either we band together and carry the fight to our foes on their turf, or pretty soon they'll be invading ours.

Remember the old slogan: "together we stand, divided we fall"? It matters. It matters right now, right here, and it involves all of us.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are over the halfway point everyone! Great Job to the 26 :)

64% of our goal, 1926.90

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks