• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

zout

Does not matter - The Mil-Std 1180B states they already do comply - but exempt when built for the Miltary. The miltary needed to be able to swap components etc. Therefore they make them exempt.
You can look up Mil-Std 1180B on the web - do not have to look more than a couple pages in and you will go HOLY COW. The rest of it will just make your eyes bleed profusely.

DOD and GL already work hand in hand as they are units sold that are not road worthy nor safe and they will not be allowed to be titled - so before you get them its in the small print of GL.

Its considered a Ground Wheeled Vehicle - designed for highway use and CAPABLE of off road - not vice versa.

So when this is all done in GA - per the year it will be allowed to be titled with SF 97 & Tb22 form in hand.

zout

I'll get you the other one while you read this:

[h=1]ARMY MIL-STD-1180B CHG NOTICE 1: SAFETY STANDARDS FOR MILITARY GROUND VEHICLES[/h]Publication Date: Aug 7, 1991
SDO: ARMY: Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command
DOD Adopted ANSI Approved Approved

This standard applies to military ground vehicles listed in table I. Administrative vehicles and construction equipment/material handling equipment acquired by the Department of Defense are not included in this military standard since they are usually built to the manufacturer commercial specifications and are required to meet all applicable standards.
Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to establish uniform requirements for incorporating Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards into military ground vehicles consistent with their military characteristics. This standard establishes uniform requirements which satisfy the intent of, and are identifiable with comparable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The provisions of this standard shall not be construed to be the only safety requirements applicable to military ground vehicles.

zout

t41~-STD-l180BFOREWORDAlthough vehicles and equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, theArmed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractualspecifications are specifically exempted from the provisions of the FederalMotor \’chicle Safety Standards (F!ll’SS),it is the established policy of theArmy to comply with the intent of those standards as long as compliance doesnot degrade essential military characteristics. With the same limitation,compliance with applicable provisions of (Federal) Motor Carrier SafetyRegulations (MCSR) is an Army requirement.This military standard provides guidance to assure propercharacteristics associated with FMVSS are designed into ma consistent manner. In establishing this standard, fullsafetylitary vehicles inconsideration has(a)(b)(c)Military mission requirements.Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Motor Carrier SafetyRegulations.Requirements of friendly nations within whose borders US vehicles​
-=.-​
are operated by DoD personnel.Individual requirements are identified to correspond with comparable FFil’SSnumbers and the applicable provisions of MCSR are as specified in thedetailed requirements.​
iii

zout

This has nothing to do with those fabricating Bobbers - Extending and changing the specifications of the chassis - just so you know - they are on their own. If you missed it - its within the first couple three sentences above. They will have to deal with the changes made and legal ramifications when that time comes.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heading back to capital, meeting is at 3:00. Third suit I have had to pull out of closet :). They don't fit as well as they used to :(

zout

subject to change video feed

House Broadcast Schedule
*Click on the event title to view the streaming video

Our host streaming service is currently experiencing technical difficulties. We will still be recording each meeting taking place today, and will load those to the committees’ archives as soon as possible, but currently live streaming/viewing is unavailable.

Tuesday, March 11
EventTimeRoom
Budget (HB 744) Conference Committee9:00am403 CAP
Rules9:30pm341 CAP
House Floor Session (Legislative Day #36)10:00amHouse Chamber
Judiciary Non-CivilBreak or upon adjournment403 CAP
Insurance2:00pm606 CLOB
Transportation2:00pm506 CLOB
Judiciary2:00pm132 CAP
Motor Vehicles3:00pm606 CLOB
Higher Education3:00pm406 CLOB
Game, Fish & Parks3:00pm403 CAP

undysworld

I think so. My 86 M1008 has the FMVSS sticker and is titled so it should be no problem. If one were to buy a 94 LMTV lets say M1078 and was able to get the SF97, it should be able to be registered as FMVSS standards were part of the contract between DOD and Stewart and Stevenson, right?
Recovry4x4,
You really have to ask Florida DOT about your registration questions. Registration is the responsibility of the state, so individual states may vary. In general, states will issue registration if you have a title, and the SF-97 gets you a title.

The MIL-STD 1180B was dated 1986, IIRC, and that's the only document that I am aware of upon which a court case has been decided. It does not tell if or when the requirement to meet those standards was discontinued. But since HMMWV's reportedly didn't meet military standards equivalent to FMVSS, it would appear that at some point things changed.

Whether newer contracts met the same standards could likely be determined by reading the contract. Do you have access to that info?

unaffiliated

I received an email back from Congressman Eddie Lumsden of the 12th District. Here is a copy of it:

Chris,

Good to hear from you.

If this bill comes to us for a vote I will vote for it.

Thanks.

Eddie Lumsden

Sent from my iPhone

He even sent it from his iPhone. How cool is that.

zout

Outstanding - YES the Bill passed the committee and its in the works to get it before the House floor for a vote - as I type. IT COULD be voted on as early as tomorrow and has till the 20th - then its game over.

Keep the calls to your district reps flowing in so they are aware of the Bill # SB 392 and to vote YES on it - or ask why it has not been brought up for a vote yet - ask them to discuss with their comrades to get it ended on a positive note - almost there folks.

When passed the Gov has 4 months before he has to sign it - but there is something in the works already so this might not take so long - did I mentioin we're almost there folks.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work, next one down, two to go (House and Governor)

Keep calling and keep getting the money in!!!! Donate and call NOW

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4,
You really have to ask Florida DOT about your registration questions. Registration is the responsibility of the state, so individual states may vary. In general, states will issue registration if you have a title, and the SF-97 gets you a title.

The MIL-STD 1180B was dated 1986, IIRC, and that's the only document that I am aware of upon which a court case has been decided. It does not tell if or when the requirement to meet those standards was discontinued. But since HMMWV's reportedly didn't meet military standards equivalent to FMVSS, it would appear that at some point things changed.

Whether newer contracts met the same standards could likely be determined by reading the contract. Do you have access to that info?
I'm accutely familiar with Florida and the way the system works here. I need to learn about GA as I'm planning to move there in 2 years.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm accutely familiar with Florida and the way the system works here. I need to learn about GA as I'm planning to move there in 2 years.
Yes another GA Mafia member :) So Recovry, under current law you are screwed. Under new law you are okay. You got 2 years so we will work on getting things fixed for you :)

Where are you going to move? Come up to Oakwood area and live in the country with me and Ron.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks