• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let the Bobbing begin

197thhhc

Have the new project and have decided to go with the Bob. We have alot of body resoration on the cab and brake system. We made a good start at disassembly this weekend. Have a lot to do. We will post pics as we go. This will be a resto-mod. The cab forward will be as close to new as possible.

Attachments

197thhhc

I have begun tearing down the doors to repair some rust and find a way to make the windows work smoother. I'm thinking nylon bushings on the regulator arms. One thing I will need is paint as I go. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to get paint in larger quantities. I will paint the truck green either Olive Drab or CARC green if I can find it. Thanks for any suggestions.

shannondeese

Have fun with the project. That's what it's all about. I have done a couple now since we did mine and each time helps me remember why I Bobbed mine. I love driving mine around Bobbed.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck and have fun.

The only thing I believe is the tow bar is two long. If it could break there is so much chain your truck will walk over two lanes of traffic. One lane is bad enough.

197thhhc

Thanks for the advice on the tow bar. Its only 5 1/2 feet long which is about the same length as the ones I towed with in the Army with a 5 ton wrecker and its much more heavy duty. I always appreciate safety advice. [thumbzup]

197thhhc

Today went well. My old air compressor just wont keep up so I retired it and caught one on sale at Harbor Freight.
We removed the storage box and the battery compartment. The battery area will need a lot of work. The box is shot but the compartment is sound. Rusty but sound. I found a nice battery box set up at Ballisticfabrication.com I might use it. You cant beat the price. I just use 24 series batteries anyway. Now We can start with the cab overhaul. The hard top is almost finished. Hope to cut off the bed bolts Sunday and remove the bed next weekend.

Attachments

wildbilly1760

Try Rapco Parts for the paint. Gillespie CARC 383 substitute has done me well. And reasonably priced shipped. Also Army Jeep Parts has it. About the same price. I bought some from them at the Gilbert show this past summer. Keep up the good work and the pics are great. Bill

197thhhc

My son is doing a video log of our resto-bob. This is the newest edition. There are a couple earlier updates I will add soon. Just to clarify. We took the bolts off because we ran out of oxygen for the torches. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlirfwnevIc[/media]

Last edited:

197thhhc

Had a fun week. Ron Mounted 46" tires on the haulin deuce. This made a huge difference in handling, steering and top speed. It is so much easier to steer and will run 65 mph at 2300 rpms. ( It tops out at 72 mph but I dont recommend this, but if you need to pass someone you can. ) We took it out to docfarmall's place and picked up a very nice M105 trailer. I highly recommend Jeff he is a great guy and an asset to the MV community. Thanks again Jeff. Got it back home in some pretty nasty weather. Next week we will be removing the deuce bed and starting to bob the rear. :jumpin:

Attachments

Redneck

I have begun tearing down the doors to repair some rust and find a way to make the windows work smoother. I'm thinking nylon bushings on the regulator arms. One thing I will need is paint as I go. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to get paint in larger quantities. I will paint the truck green either Olive Drab or CARC green if I can find it. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have worked on a couple of trucks with the windows not working smoothly. All i did was change out the window regulator and they work just fine now.

197thhhc

This weekend was the biggest yet in the resto-bob. My son drove to Maryland to pick up some M34 wheels from Maryland, Thanks Jesse They are great. Then Sunday we pulled the bed and rear axles. The bed was easy. I was worried the axles would be hard. I have read horror stories. But it was suprisingly easy. A torch is an amzing thing. Next we do the final frame cut and pull the M105 apart. the restoration of the cab is going well also. We have new glass for the front windows. the hard top is almost done and the doors also We have started stripping the cab and bead blasting the small stuff. Despite the cold we are making good progress.

I have also attached my sons latest youtube update. and a few pics. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LdotDZ3acQ[/media]

Attachments

197thhhc

My boy redid the first video from when we brought the deuce home and got it running. I am posting it now. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaRGmpkbas[/media]

197thhhc

Spent all weekend cutting and grinding on the frame and body. We have the frame rails stripped down and are ready to disassemble the trailer. The cab and body restoration is coming along well. The doors are primed and ready for paint and reassembly. I bead blasted everything that could be removed. I still have a few more parts. This week I will be rebuilding the window frames and reassembling the window housing. Ron still has to sandblast the fenders, hood, battery and tool boxes. Progress is slow but sure.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks