• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let the Bobbing begin

197thhhc

Grinding, priming and painting. This is my life right now. We are starting to paint now. So I am starting to actually see progress. The doors came out very nice, if you look back in the thread you will see the big holes they had. It was all cut out and new metal welded in. Its a pain but worth it. This week i will reassemble the doors, latchs regulator and glass and the winshield frame. We had new laminated glass cut for them. Then We will bring in the fenders, hood and boxes for paint. We are going with a green and black 2 tone. I will show pics of what I mean soon and I will want opinions.

Attachments

197thhhc

The deuce bobbing is moving along. It has been a little slow due to the miserable nasty cold winter we are coming out of. The only body parts left to paint besides the cab are the fenders. I have fallen in love with my new needle scaler. We are in the process of scaling the rear axle right now. Its amazing how well the needle scaler works. I have attached a picture that has my multitasking son using it. I highly recommend one for heavy paint/rust removal on the thick metal parts. Not the sheet metal. This project will be wrapping up soon, I will post more pics and videos.

Attachments

197thhhc

Am I missing something--is there a reason that you did not sandblast the larger pieces and the frame etc?
GREAT LOOKING WORK!!!
Everything that could be removed was sandblasted or beadblasted. I just am not comfortable blasting some parts because it tough to get all the sand out of some spots. And it gives my son something to do [thumbzup]

197thhhc

We just got back our first recentered deuce wheel from our machine shop. These have an offset of 7 more inches than the stock wheel. We are using M34 wheels with 395s for this bobbed unit, but the next one will have these with 395s they wont rub at all with these. We also are planning on singling out a 6x6 and using these with flipped rear hubs.When we get the set blasted and painted I will post more pics.

Attachments

197thhhc

The rear axle is painted and the hubs are flipped. We will be putting in new seals and rebuilding the wheel cylinders this week. The springs and mounts should be ready this week also. Its nice to be reassembling the truck. Its been a long winter.

Attachments

197thhhc

it look like you cut out the center and fliped it. it this correct

Yes, we did it to stop the rubbing with 395s in the front. Doing this sets the tire out 7 inches. Plus I really like the look. Kind of reminds me of the old steel slotted mags. Also its cheaper than hemmt wheels. We should have the whole set soon. Then we will strip and paint them and I will post pics.

RANDYDIRT

Pics of flipped centers

We just got back our first recentered deuce wheel from our machine shop..
I did my wheels just like yours. It makes the truck have a real cool stance, but I'm still not sure it I like the way it drives. I noticed a HUGE difference (as in not good) in how it drove in the mud and snow. It'll dam near jerk the wheel out of your hands if one side gets hooked in a berm. I think setting the wheel that far out as compared to stock causes a lot of leverage problems. I also can tell that having a brake slightly out of adjustment amplifies the pulling problem. I can adjust the brakes and it will pull one way... adjust them again and it will pull the other way. I think the added offset really hurts driveability.

Dirt

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks