• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let the Bobbing begin

197thhhc

A big high-torque gas engine is a good choice. But any big GM would work equally well. I would guess that finding a running example is getting harder every day since they haven't been made in nearly 40 years.
You would be surprized how many old caddy engines there are and how cheap they are. Plus they have a different look than a chevy bigblock. People are just starting to fiqure out how much potential they have. They are torque monsters.

197thhhc

The most time comsuming part of this restoration are the small bits. If I was'nt so anal retentive this probably would'nt matter to me but it does. I think one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century has to be the bead blaster. Some parts on this truck have 7 layers of paint. Its amazing. The last picture shows my next project in the Resto-Bob. I will be rebuilding the hydra-vac. We are going through the entire brake system. I could'nt rebuild the master cyl it was too far gone. So we got a brand new one. The airpack is this clean after an hour in the solvent tank. Hopefully the inside will look ok. Does anyone have a rebuild kit laying around they want to sell.

Attachments

197thhhc

Its been a little while since my last update. The project is still in high gear. We are deep in the sanding grinding and painting stage. Tearing this truck down to the nuts and bolts is a long involved process. But we are making headway. Starting to run out of things to beadblast. I love this stuff. I think the truck will be fantastic when its back together. Here is a quick video. I will put up detailed pics in the next couple of days. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkjkzi6B0qA[/media] .

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks