• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let the Bobbing begin

197thhhc

This is a video from what we did last weekend . We reassembled the rear suspension and axle and fitted it under the truck. We tried to add a couple of special touches to the frame. We angle cut and boxed both ends and if you notice in the pictures instead of just notching the front crossmembers to clear the driveshaft, we boxed the crossmembers in. http://youtu.be/cFoKl2f0jSY

My son wants to thank everyone for checking out the videos. We really hope you guys like them.

Ted, Ron, Chris[thumbzup]

plym49

I did my wheels just like yours. It makes the truck have a real cool stance, but I'm still not sure it I like the way it drives. I noticed a HUGE difference (as in not good) in how it drove in the mud and snow. It'll dam near jerk the wheel out of your hands if one side gets hooked in a berm. I think setting the wheel that far out as compared to stock causes a lot of leverage problems. I also can tell that having a brake slightly out of adjustment amplifies the pulling problem. I can adjust the brakes and it will pull one way... adjust them again and it will pull the other way. I think the added offset really hurts driveability.

Dirt
When you spread the track of your front wheels, they no longer steer properly. Stock. there is an imaginary line that intersects another vertically thru the king pins just below the surface of the road This way, as the front wheels steer, they pivot along this imaginary intersection.

When you spread the front wheels, as you turn you are effectively lengthening the wheelbase on one side, and shortening it on the other, as you steer. The steering geometry is no longer correct.

So, moving wheels out does more then just putting more weight on the outer wheel bearings. The dynamics of the handling are affected. Remember Radio Flyer wagons? How well did they corner? Really badly, and it is because wagon steering where one front wheel advances and the other recedes in a turn does not handle well at all.

When you hit a berm, there is more leverage working against you for the same reason.

I don't know that there is any easy way to address this as it would probably entail major surgery on those Rockwell knuckles.

How bad was the rubbing? You might be better off with rubbing at full lock (always at low speeds) than an evil handling truck (how does it feel on twisty-turny roads?).

197thhhc

During the summer My little group RCT [realcustomtrucks] ran into a couple roadblocks and I was forced to buy out my partner. I had a little down time but am finally getting going again. I have the M34 wheels ready to mount and I am back to painting. I also had to complete a couple projects for customers. I also just opened a parts store on ebay and am starting to build a Real Custom Trucks website. I want to do more deuce repairs, bobs and restorations. I was planning on selling this bobber but have decided to make it the company truck so I can experiment with new things and upgrades. Plus its nice to show off what RCT can do. I have just put too much time and effort into it. The project is officially back on and I hope to have it ready by the spring Haspin run or at the latest the Findley Ohio show. Thanks for your interest. Keep watching more videos will be coming soon.

Ted

RANDYDIRT

When you spread the track of your front wheels, they no longer steer properly. Stock. there is an imaginary line that intersects another vertically thru the king pins just below the surface of the road This way, as the front wheels steer, they pivot along this imaginary intersection.

When you spread the front wheels, as you turn you are effectively lengthening the wheelbase on one side, and shortening it on the other, as you steer. The steering geometry is no longer correct.

So, moving wheels out does more then just putting more weight on the outer wheel bearings. The dynamics of the handling are affected. Remember Radio Flyer wagons? How well did they corner? Really badly, and it is because wagon steering where one front wheel advances and the other recedes in a turn does not handle well at all.

When you hit a berm, there is more leverage working against you for the same reason.

I don't know that there is any easy way to address this as it would probably entail major surgery on those Rockwell knuckles.

How bad was the rubbing? You might be better off with rubbing at full lock (always at low speeds) than an evil handling truck (how does it feel on twisty-turny roads?).
I fixed it. I went back to stock wheels and 11.00's

Dirt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks