• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifted Bobbed Deuce leaf springs

blackrock

Thank you very much boss doug. here are a few more pics of what i got done this weekend.

content___media_external_images_media_373.jpg
installation of cross bar going threw 4 3/8 plates on rear hanger

content___media_external_images_media_374.jpg

content___media_external_images_media_375.jpg

content___media_external_images_media_388.jpg

content___media_external_images_media_383.jpg
rear hanger set with cross bar

content___media_external_images_media_384.jpg
rear hanger set with cross bar

content___media_external_images_media_389.jpg
front hanger of rear of truck

content___media_external_images_media_391.jpg

content___media_external_images_media_387.jpg

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Gaining 6" in height by spring arc is going to limit flexibility.
That's not exactly right. Generally speaking, more arc means more flexibility. But using springs with too much arc on big heavy trucks like these would create a whole bunch of other problems...

If you were to find lifted springs wouldnt it make it ride better?
Maybe. All depends on how the leafpsrings are designed/built. But yeah, more are usually means better ride and better performance (all other things being equal).

Before anyone goes the frame stacking route, you may want to check out the local lift laws for your state. As stacking frames is frowned upon!
Drop brackets, or re-arched springs are much more accepted.
lift blocks are a no go on the front, and not a good idea on the back.
Really? Don't know anything about that, but seems totally counter-intuitive.

mudguppy

in your first few pictures, how do you gain access to apply lock nuts or washers to the inside for, example, the bolts that fasten through the bottom of the frame rail?

did you tack nuts inside before final assembly? are these lock-nuts? if not, are you using a thread-locker?

blackrock

in your first few pictures, how do you gain access to apply lock nuts or washers to the inside for, example, the bolts that fasten through the bottom of the frame rail?

did you tack nuts inside before final assembly? are these lock-nuts? if not, are you using a thread-locker?
Nuts were welded on inside prior to welding on final panel. No they are not locking nuts. Reason for not using lock nuts is i knew i was going to re-tap the nuts after all the welding was finished. Re-tapping was a must, due to heat distortion and spark debri in the threads. I plan on using red lock tight and lock washers between the heads of the bolts and flat washers. Thanks Kyle

Last edited:

danny81

Looks good!!! Wished I could do that!!!!!
Are you gonna be able to use the same setup on the front?
How thick is that steel plate your using?

blackrock

Looks good!!! Wished I could do that!!!!!
Are you gonna be able to use the same setup on the front?
How thick is that steel plate your using?
All you need is a welder!!! Ill sell you all the plates to do the job.

Yes, the front is the same setup as the rear, all plates are 3/8" except the front panel with "Black Rock Fabrications" on it, that's 1/4". The tube as a cross support is 2" x .120 wall DOM. Below are some pics of the truck complete.

477573532_photobucket_19716_.jpg

477573532_photobucket_19717_.jpg

477573532_photobucket_19826_.jpg

danny81

The truck looks nice, What size tires are you running? What shocks did you use?
I've got plans to bob my next one and add rear steer, That lift is now added to my plans. All I've got to do now is finish my first truck!!!!
Whats the price on that kit?

whyme

Need a lift for those of us wanting to stay 6WD. Jim

the rear could be accomplished by swapping the bogie out with that of a 5ton i believe (night be wrong but i think it would give some lift) at the very least it gives the spacing between axles to accommodate bigger tires (14-16.00's). that of course leaves you with an anemic truck unless you do a power plant upgrade and then thats alot of torque on the stock axles...

then again a few inches just for better clearance of 395's would be nice

blackrock:
what did you do for steering upfront?

blackrock

The truck looks nice, What size tires are you running? What shocks did you use?
I've got plans to bob my next one and add rear steer, That lift is now added to my plans. All I've got to do now is finish my first truck!!!!
Whats the price on that kit?

Thank you, Im running the 16.00 x 20s for tires.

As for shocks, nothing right now. But, i plan on running a set of my nitro shocks that i build for offroad trucks/ monster trucks. Prob just run a 12" travel on each corner and i might even run a front sway bar, not sure yet.

shock.jpg

As for the 8" lift kit, I'm thinking of selling the kit in a few different stages of assembly. Un-welded including all plates and DOM tube $750. Reason for selling it un-welded is to keep cost down for the at home builder with the ability to weld. I will included instructions on the best way to assembly the kit to achieve the best results. But i'm also considering offering the hangers tack welded, so that the setup stages are complete saving the customer time. But, i would really like a member to do a write up on building the kit describing what is all involed and how the kit fits and whatnot. If someone is interested, i will sell the kit at a discounted price to do this.

Thanks Kyle

blackrock

the rear could be accomplished by swapping the bogie out with that of a 5ton i believe (night be wrong but i think it would give some lift) at the very least it gives the spacing between axles to accommodate bigger tires (14-16.00's). that of course leaves you with an anemic truck unless you do a power plant upgrade and then thats alot of torque on the stock axles...

then again a few inches just for better clearance of 395's would be nice

blackrock:
what did you do for steering upfront?
I did Full hydro, built a alum block for the dash with a brass sleeve
477573532_photobucket_24710_.jpg

477573532_photobucket_24723_.jpg

Built a cradle for the double ended ram on the housing. I have the rockwell axle contour in autocadd. So i had a plate cut out of 3/8 steel, then bent a piece of 1 5/8 DOM around the outside for support. Also, have gussets coming from the axle down but not in pic.

477573532_photobucket_24713_.jpg

robert c neth

Banned
here is our mud bobber with 8" of lift and 54" tractor tires .we welded sections of another m35 frame in and used the original mounting holes in the front and the front springs from the spare frame on the rear.welding in other hangers or perches would work also.good luck

Attachments

robert c neth

Banned
i didnt read all the pages before ,your work looks good one problem with pa is those hangers have to be riveted to the frame for inspection but i have gotten by if the workman ship is good your should pass any where good luck.

blackrock

In your last photo that pcs steering ram looks real close to the front drive shaft.
View attachment 262062

here is a pic complete. not that close to the drive shaft. I also put locking hubs so it takes the chance of the drive shaft letting lose on the street.

Thank you guys very much. If anyone needs anything let me know. I can sell the plate for the ram mount if you like and include the bent tube if needed also.

thanks kyle

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks