• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lookie What Showed Up at Work Today...

dittle

He is NOT legal according to DOT. They require at least 4 separate tie downs on rolling stock. Running it through the eyes DOES NOT count as 2. Each tie down consists of one chain and one binder. Ask me how I know.....

Guess I should have stated he would be legal if he used the chains in the matter that I showed in my pictures.

greenjeepster

The front of the truck is cross chained. And it looks to me that he has additional chains under the tandems, in the second pick you can barely see one dropping down to the right of the pumpkin.

kochevnik

An obvious question - how do you 'remove' the third axle ? And why on earth would that be necessary for someone to drive at night ?

THAT is what I want to see a foto of.

Ditto to Vintage Iron but I wouldn't say they hold up as civilian trucks. The only customers we have at work that continue to purchase 7000 series IHC's are those who haven't had a realiable truck to see what uptime on a class 8 truck should really be. I'm familiar with these trucks in the waste industry and 7000 series IHC trucks are total garbage- no pun intended. We have fleets that cannot get 12k hours out of a DT530 before an overhaul. IHC then punches the motor out to a DT570 to strain components that much more- fantastic idea. IHC's Multiplex wiring system is about as reliable as a BMW 745's electrical system.... The DT's start hard in the winter and the new excessive egr "Maxxfarce" as we call them are having all sorts of problems in the field. IHC must be pleased there isn't lemon laws for big trucks! The old mechanical DT's were great motors in the right GVW- application but since they went electronic, variable vane turbo and starting adding EGR, multiplex wiring, DPF's, etc, etc these trucks are poor perfomers in lots of areas. Every company has their problems but IHC doesn't stand behind their problems and as a result Freightliner has taken alot of marketshare from them with the M2 series. IHC is late to the game with introducing a factory offered CNG powered mid range truck and has lost marketshare here also.

IHC has struggled to make an an engine that has had a good reputation since the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.0 was Ford motor companies highest warranty payout in the history of the company and was the reason Ford started the process to end their IHC engine relationship which was 20 years strong for the p/u's. The 6.4 had quite a few aftertreatment problems and provided owners poor fuel mileage.

I hate to see American companies go backwards. With Daimler owning Freightliner I'd love to see IHC get their act back together and start making solid engines again and fix some of their ongoing issues.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ditto to Vintage Iron but I wouldn't say they hold up as civilian trucks. The only customers we have at work that continue to purchase 7000 series IHC's are those who haven't had a realiable truck to see what uptime on a class 8 truck should really be. I'm familiar with these trucks in the waste industry and 7000 series IHC trucks are total garbage- no pun intended. We have fleets that cannot get 12k hours out of a DT530 before an overhaul. IHC then punches the motor out to a DT570 to strain components that much more- fantastic idea. IHC's Multiplex wiring system is about as reliable as a BMW 745's electrical system.... The DT's start hard in the winter and the new excessive egr "Maxxfarce" as we call them are having all sorts of problems in the field. IHC must be pleased there isn't lemon laws for big trucks! The old mechanical DT's were great motors in the right GVW application but since they went electronic, variable vane turbo and starting adding EGR, multiplex wiring, DPF's, etc, etc these trucks are poor perfomers in lots of areas. Every company has their problems but IHC doesn't stand behind their problems and as a result Freightliner has taken alot of marketshare from them with the M2 series. IHC is late to the game with introducing a factory offered CNG powered mid range truck and has lost marketshare here also.

IHC has struggled to make an an engine that has had a good reputation since the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.0 was Ford motor companies highest warranty payout in the history of the company and was the reason IHC started the process to end their IHC engine relationship which was 20 years strong for the p/u's. The 6.4 had quite a few aftertreatment problems and provided owners poor fuel mileage.

I hate to see American companies go backwards. With Daimler owning Freightliner I'd love to see IHC get their act back together and start making solid engines again and fix some of their ongoing issues.

Id have to agree on the mechanical engines. I have 2 DT466s 82/84 and they both have 400k on them without an in frame.

quickfarms

I was wondering about the electrical. They advertise that it reduces your wiring by 40% but to me that means more electronics and more parts that you can not fix without ordering parts from the dealer

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An obvious question - how do you 'remove' the third axle ? And why on earth would that be necessary for someone to drive at night ?

THAT is what I want to see a foto of.
Some 3-axle trailers have the rear axle that will "flip up". You unpin it and flip it onto the top of the tandems. It saves tires and brakes when the third axle isn't needed and also makes for less restrictions in some states (as the OP posted).

In TN only oversized loads aren't permitted to run after dark. You can run as many axles as you like as long as you're not over-dimensional.

Gunner0311

Great truck

Great looking truck, especially cool is the storage over the cab.

I guess I also do not understand the "oversize" label and the need to loose an axle?

How is this an "oversize load"??? It does does exceed weight limits(estimate 25k
gross for the truck), it does not look overly long and certainly is not hanging over the side of the trailer. So it looks like like a "light load" for the trailer to me....

Why loose an axle? Distributing the weight of the load over more axles makes the
hauling of the load safer. Dropping down to two axles in my opinion makes the
hauling of the load less safe. ?????

I drive for Uncle Sam, so the Motor Vehicle Operator Enforcement cops pretty much leave us alone, so maybe one you the civilian type drivers on the site can enlighten us in this instance.:popcorn:

southdave

Ditto to Vintage Iron but I wouldn't say they hold up as civilian trucks. The only customers we have at work that continue to purchase 7000 series IHC's are those who haven't had a realiable truck to see what uptime on a class 8 truck should really be. I'm familiar with these trucks in the waste industry and 7000 series IHC trucks are total garbage- no pun intended. We have fleets that cannot get 12k hours out of a DT530 before an overhaul. IHC then punches the motor out to a DT570 to strain components that much more- fantastic idea. IHC's Multiplex wiring system is about as reliable as a BMW 745's electrical system.... The DT's start hard in the winter and the new excessive egr "Maxxfarce" as we call them are having all sorts of problems in the field. IHC must be pleased there isn't lemon laws for big trucks! The old mechanical DT's were great motors in the right GVW- application but since they went electronic, variable vane turbo and starting adding EGR, multiplex wiring, DPF's, etc, etc these trucks are poor perfomers in lots of areas. Every company has their problems but IHC doesn't stand behind their problems and as a result Freightliner has taken alot of marketshare from them with the M2 series. IHC is late to the game with introducing a factory offered CNG powered mid range truck and has lost marketshare here also.

IHC has struggled to make an an engine that has had a good reputation since the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.0 was Ford motor companies highest warranty payout in the history of the company and was the reason Ford started the process to end their IHC engine relationship which was 20 years strong for the p/u's. The 6.4 had quite a few aftertreatment problems and provided owners poor fuel mileage.

Andy
I have to agree with you.. 10years ago The US lead the diesel industry, after the sell of detorit to daimler. Case and point, look at the expot diesel engine for used diesel engine ect..

Stan Leschert

Those are really a not bad truck.
Ours had a recall issue, which invloved the wiring harness,
and the ability to spontaneously self combust.

When that was fixed, it lived up to expectations.
Way better than the MLVW!

greenjeepster

I drive for Uncle Sam, so the Motor Vehicle Operator Enforcement cops pretty much leave us alone, so maybe one you the civilian type drivers on the site can enlighten us in this instance.:popcorn:
Some states don't a low the third axle. He is well under an over-size load, but looks are deceiving. If he has a load on like that and has the third axle down, he is just asking for trouble, when running at night. Better to flip the axle up and not give DOT a reason to check you.

I would guess that the axle was down from his last load, now that he has a back haul he wants it flipped up so there are no questions... He wanted the company to pay to flip it up, so he called dispatch and told them "I can't run at night with it down" so now dispatch is doing what it takes to get him back in a timely manner.

Tag axles are great for heavy loads, but they decrease the handling of the truck. If you don't need it you don't keep it down. That is all this is really about I think.

Last edited:

spicergear

Yep, he was told the load was much heavier when he was picking it up. Scaled at 75,000 so needed unpin the bottom of the third trailer axle to be 'undersize' for night travel again. With the truck having the long rear overhang he couldn't simply flip it up onto the deck so we fully unpinned it and I put on the deck over the pin with our telehandler.

There's 6 chains on that truck as was pointed out earlier. The single though the loops then the pair crossed at the front axle and the same at the rear. There's a set going to the front tandem as greenjeepster said earlier.

greenjeepster

So does the Canadian military run plates or is this a privately owned truck? Pretty sweet if this thing is surplus.

I drove a truck commercially for 7-8 years before I decided to get re-educated. A heavy hauler like this knows what they are doing, he would not take the time to stop and get a tag axle flipped and then run with his load not being properly secured... And it would not be an issue of not having enough chain, he has enough chain stored on that truck to secure Godzilla to that trailer if they needed to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks