• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a deuce, what can you tell me about these?

rlsnide

My air force truck came with a C and it was cool for about 15 minutes. So i told myself "This thing has to go." I can tell you with a C turbo you will definatly be exceeding your noise to movement ratio! The D turbo is very mellow. As far power there wasn't a big difference just bolting it on. Now saying that I do run a K and N filter and the EGT difference was almost 200 degrees between the two. The D had alot lower EGT than the C. So the added power came from stepping the injector pump back up to the oringinal EGT. There was the difference. Personal preference D>C.

texas30cal

So as I understand it,(I will read more tonight when I am not trying to do this on my phone) the c and d turbos are a direct swap for one another? It would be nice if I could get him to let me swap them if so.

gunboy1656

For the price of both get both. Prices are only going up on deuces. You can always sell the other one later and recoup your money (and probably more)

texas30cal

I would really like to but the wife runt oft a few months back and being a new single parent with a 4 year old I just don't want to part with that much cash, but I agree I could use what I want off of them to build my truck and probably still get 3k out of the other without the winch.

rustystud

I would really like to but the wife runt oft a few months back and being a new single parent with a 4 year old I just don't want to part with that much cash, but I agree I could use what I want off of them to build my truck and probably still get 3k out of the other without the winch.
Hey man I feel your pain ! Been there bought the "Tee" shirt ! All I can say is it will get better ! God Bless !

texas30cal

I am sure it will get better, thank's, still waiting for pics from the guy, he is a respected member on the 1919a4 forum so I seriously doubt he is BSing me, I want to see it real bad too this is killing me, I just hope its still green or tan, not red or that hideous neon yellow that some fire depts. use.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
are all deuces c and d's?
Nope Deuce just means it is a 6x6 2 1/2 ton, early ones were gas, then mutifuel without turbo, A2's should all have a c or d model turbo and the 1987-1989 USAF contract M35A2C has a dual brake system all the others a single. Then the M35A3 is a whole different story.

Last edited:

acesneights1

Wait...Your wife ran off and you found a low price Deuce ???
**** I wish I had your luck !!!!!!!
Both Deuce are below marketprice in New England. granted down by you there is still alot of surplus stuff hitting the auctions but by me, Deuce prices are high.
The TM's are confusing and difficult to navigate but they are filled with excellent information.
As a new Deuce owner myself and getting a crash course things I would look for:

The motor:
Make sure it does not have any unusual noises. Knocking ticking etc. Make sure little to no blowby(check breather tube). Look for oil leaks around the oil cooler, rear main seal. These are the hard ones to fix. Check carefully around the Head for any external leaks and of course check the oil for signs of coolant and check the coolant for signs of oil. It's no fun changing one of these motors trust me.
make sure it idles and accelerates smoothly. Look for excessive smoke from exhaust and note color . Grey can be unburnt fuel. Black could be overfuel/underboost. Blue/white is oil consumption.

Make sure it has good oil pressure.

Brakes:
Makes sure the reservoir is full. If it isnt that can be a sign of a leak. Check to make sure the airpack is working(this is sort of like a vacuum booster but works the opposite). Check condition of tires. Looks for leaks around the axles, gear oil, brake fluid, grease etc. Ripped front boots.

That should be a good start. I'll add more later. Carpel is flaring up and gotta get Jr from school.

BTW Welcome !! Some are abrasive here but once you been around awhile it gets better.
The site is a wealth of information and knowledge.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nope Deuce just means it is a 6x6 2 1/2 ton, early ones were gas, then mutifuel without turbo, A2's should all have a c or d model turbo and the M35A2C has a dual brake system all the others a single. Then the M35A3 is a whole different story.

Only the 1987-1989 USAF contract Deuces were dual circuit brakes. A 1971 or 1986 M35A2C would still have single circuit brakes.

texas30cal

Yes, she's gone and hoping the deuce works out, I am probably better off but I don't see how she could do this to our daughter, anyway, acesneights thanks that's the kind of list I was wanting, and thanks to everyone who has contributed, all good info and keep it coming he is supposed to call me tonight so I am going to push for pics

acesneights1

Yes, she's gone and hoping the deuce works out, I am probably better off but I don't see how she could do this to our daughter,
you can have mine(wife not Deuce)...take over the payments...:beer:
Atleast you have your Daughter. Now just need a Deuce...
Forgot another thing. With it running but NOT hot open the rad cap carefully(it may be under pressure) and look at the coolant while it's running. If you see alot of bubbles, the fire rings(headgasket) are blown.
With my previous post I did make the assumption you are mechanically inclined and have some knowledge of diesels.
Although the Deuce is technically a multi fuel hypercycle engine, for all intent purposes of previewing a potential addition to the family(a deuce is family) treat it as if you were looking at a diesel. The Multifuel discussion can come later after you buy it.

Last edited:

texas30cal

I actually am a machinist of 22 yrs, also do some welding and fabricating, have owned and restored old cars, and been riding and repairing atvs since I was a teenager am self employed now full time at my atv/utv repair shop, do the machining at my other shop as needed now days, and just about to start the paperwork on a LLC and ffl 02/07 SOT with a lifelong friend. My diesel experience is limited though, but the last one I worked on was overhauling a Perkins in a MF 1085 tractor, that's a good idea about checking for bubbles I will take my block tester along to check for exhaust gas in the radiator. I had done only minor diesel work prior to that, I have always said " diesel is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking and gasoline is for racing" I guess I won't be able to knock diesel so much anymore.

HanksDeuce

Did someone swap the period and comma keys on your keyboard? :D

Good luck on getting a deuce. I hope one of those trucks works out for you. If not, keep looking!

texas30cal

No, sorry about that. I've been trying to break that bad habit, it comes from filling out work orders trying to give detailed descriptions in as little space as possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks