• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 with 700r4 swap.. MPG and top speed?

Sean CO

I'm having the 700r swaped into my M1009 right now, should be out of the shop soon. The Trany and t-case are from an gas blazer it needed the diesel governer and on the rebuild it was missing some spacers but seems to be smooth sailing now. I run it on 33's with a no-spin Detroit locker in the rear it would do 75 on the highway before the swap at about 18 MPG. I'll let you all know what it's calculating as soon as I get it back.

12vctd

WOW Warwag but that doesnt seem right since the NV4500 is mated behind a 6bt cummins, in the dodge trucks.
Rated Gross Vehicle Weight...................HD: 16,000 pounds, LD: 15,000 pounds
Rated Gross Combined Weight...............HD: 21,000 pounds, LD: 19,000 pounds

Did you possibly think I was speaking of a NV3500 trans?

These are way higher ratings than a 700r4, but honestly with a 4.56 gear and the large amount of power from a 6.2 diesel even a properly built 700r4 will be just fine.

86 K5 Blaz

Not to bring up an old thread...But my M1009 has a 700rd, and its great. I get 20mpg all day. ( even stomping it to scare the little kids with my non-existent mufflers) I can run 75MPH all day long with out my motor revving much at all. I dont have a tach, but id assume its just over 2000 RPM's. It doesnt have any real power, but I blame most of that on the old 6.2 diesel. I didnt do the swap, purchased it like this...but man, If you plan to use these as a DD this is a great Idea.

Sean CO

700r swap just finished

Just got my m1009 out of the shop on the 700r swap, still breaking in the tranny but you can hear the difference in rpm's. when that overdrive kicks in it's like she's barely idling at 65 mph. I put a 2 inch tough country lift with the ord 2" shackle flip kit in the back too! man is she lookin mean. Gotta love these old trucks!

kope

Just got my m1009 out of the shop on the 700r swap, still breaking in the tranny but you can hear the difference in rpm's. when that overdrive kicks in it's like she's barely idling at 65 mph. I put a 2 inch tough country lift with the ord 2" shackle flip kit in the back too! man is she lookin mean. Gotta love these old trucks!
sounds sweet. post some picts

mark 5.45

Well, the hard part of the 700r4 swap is over... My Tv cable bracket came in the mail today. I found it on e-bay last week. A guy on there was selling a 6.2 and it's 700r4 separate. I emailed him, and he listed the bracket. $40.00 with free ship. That is a hard part to find, I got lucky.. I'm going to post a pic of it later, because I wasn't 100% sure what it looked like. And I still don't know where it bolts up..lol So maybe a pic of it, will help someone else later on.

Sean CO

700R update

Been putting some miles on the old truck.

Have not had the chance to drive a full tank without any 4x4 action, but the mpg's I have been seeing have been about 19 mpg for a tank that was about 1/4 of the time in 4WD, and about 15 for a tank that was about 3/4 of the time in 4WD. And these where on drives from Denver to Vail (about 45+ over the pass) and back and 75 mph to FTC.

Slid her off the road into about 6" of snow and about a 45degree Ditch, my passenger thought I needed to call a tow truck, but we witnessed the power from 4Low and 1st.

mark 5.45

Hello all, since I first posted this question awhile back, I've bought a few parts for my M1008. I went ahead and bought a 700r4, it's matching NP208. The hard to find TV cable bracket, and a ATS turbo set up. I still need to have the 700 rebuilt and install the turbo, but I'm well on my way.. The next parts I'm getting are 4" lift springs for the front and I'm going with a ORD rear shackle flip for the rear. I'm hoping by spring, the M1008 will be riding high, kicking a 4th gear and making boost! Thanks again for all the info and help.. Mark

Attachments

ryan77

Cant you just get a universal cable for a streat rod from tci !!!!!! ive swapped them into a gasser using a universal cable and elimanating the computer with a kit from tci!!!

seabee mike

I have a 1009 and wish to do this too. Is there a vechicle i can pull all the parts out of? I know where there are 3 civ 86 blazers gas kind. and a 86 suburban in gas. Not sure if it is 4x4.

DrJekl

Just my .02 on putting a 700R into a M1009 with 3.08 gears. A buddy of mine bought a new 1/2 ton truck way back when with the 6.2 and 3.08 gears and hates it due to the high gears. He swapped the axles for a lower gear ratio and it does much better but I don't think I'd swap out my 400 for a 700R unless I had a gear ratio of about 3.42 or 3.73 to get better low end and less work on the trans shifting between high gear and OD. kevin is running 4.56s in his truck now and says that he'd feel better with the combo at 4.10 in his truck.

I just put in a Gear Vendors into my M1031. All that is left is the drive shaft. Hopefully it will be on the road next week.

Atwater

NP with the info, I seem to be on my gear ratio caculator daily anyways. I love the idea your kicking around, I personally if I ever get a m1008 will be using a nv4500 but to each thier own.
i have a nv4500 in my M1008 , averaged 19.2 mpg on the last tank.:jumpin: i expect the next tank will be over 20 as there was abit of 70mph type driving on that last tank. i think the nv4500 is great so long as you like shifting gears[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks