• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 with 700r4 swap.. MPG and top speed?

southdave

i have a nv4500 in my M1008 , averaged 19.2 mpg on the last tank.:jumpin: i expect the next tank will be over 20 as there was abit of 70mph type driving on that last tank. i think the nv4500 is great so long as you like shifting gears[thumbzup]
Doing the same swap, I still have to get the crap to convert my 2wd to 4wd. I have question about clutch pedals , maybe you might know??
is hydro out sm465 pedal set up the same as the NV if not could it be made to work easly enough??

kope

did you use the GM 4500 with the internal slave cylinder? I would like to do the same set up but I don't want to pull the tranny if the slave cylinder takes a crap

southdave

How much are these trannies costing you guys? The reason Im asking is the I just got all new parts to change out the 4.56's to 3.73's for front and back for about $800 at completeoffroad.com
I paid 300 bucks for 2wd version, bought a used flywheel for 6.5 with a turbo and heads for 150, gong have more then likey put another 300 for a$$ end of the tranny for 4wd stuff. If the pedal work out of 90 2500 I am set total would be about 700 800 buck range... next year I plan to do the 6 bt thing, maybe???

Atwater

i used the hydraulic clutch pedal and master cylinder from a 89' gmc one ton + steering column.
belhousing from a 97 chevy with the 6.5,
nv4500 + hydraulic throwout bearing from a 04' 3/4 with the 6.0.
i used adapters from www.PegasusAutoRacing.com to use AN brake line for the clutch line.
new clutch + flywheel from napa
the used master/slave cylinder combo seems to be working just fine for me. your results may vary.
i personally think the internal slave cylinder provides a better pedal feel not to mention fewer parts.
oh and i used the original np208 and drive shafts + tranny mount with a 4" spacer2cents:driver:

(edit i paid too much for the nv4500, the 89 was the samebody style as the cucv)

Last edited:

Atwater

i still want to convert to 373's and possibly 5.9 + np205 later hence why i went with the 96 and up nv4500. the earlier gm ones seem to be much cheaper but cant be easily converted for use behind the 5.9

southdave

that 4500 crap is stupid expensive $$$ I can buy the 2wd traany for 200-300 all day long her but the 4wd crap is 1200 1600 bucks. I am doing the same as you with t case.. did you have to get new Drive shafts?

Iceman3005

just finished mine, trans was free, spent 300 on torque converter, 60 on flex plate, 100 on tq lockup kit, 25 on bracket and tv rod, 16 on tv cable and 200 on transfer case w/adapter total=686. I'm getting 20-21 with an average speed of 55-60, at 55 i'm at 1900 rpm's, 70 is 2500 rpm's.

Chief_919

How much are these trannies costing you guys? The reason Im asking is the I just got all new parts to change out the 4.56's to 3.73's for front and back for about $800 at completeoffroad.com
That is an option, but you lose your bottom end torque and some towing power with a regear.

With the 700R4 I still have all the advantages of the low gears, plus good highway spped and mileage. When I want to tow I just drop the shift lever down a notch and my performance is the exact same as it was with the TH400, except 1st and 2nd are a bit lower.

southdave

That is an option, but you lose your bottom end torque and some towing power with a regear.

With the 700R4 I still have all the advantages of the low gears, plus good highway spped and mileage. When I want to tow I just drop the shift lever down a notch and my performance is the exact same as it was with the TH400, except 1st and 2nd are a bit lower.
I have 700r4 in my 1009 I am running about 1600 rpm at 70mph.. the nv4500 is going in my 1028 I need it pull camper and 9000lb skid steer and other crap. but i strongly considering dropin down to a 4.10 ratio for my 5th gear that way I hope to achieve about 70-75 mph at 1900 to 2000 rpm

bshupe

With all the alternatives to this swap that have been put up for conversation I feel a little lost with what exactly is required to do this, what the pit falls are and if it is actually the "right" thing to do.

So, would someone who has done this themselves consolidate all the info into one post for me, the fng please?

Also, what is the issue with not being able to use the 700 with the stock Tcase? I see a lot of people talking about it but not the specific reason for it? I am presuming it is because the tail-shaft on 700 is different than the TH400? If this is the case, why not just swap the tail shaft? Maybe its not possible or feasible but thats just where my mind goes to rather than changing the t-case out.

Thanks for not flaming me with my noob questions.

sandcobra164

I really like the idea of a 4 speed trans in one of these. I'd like if someone could send me a quick list of what I'd need to do to make this swap a reality as I enjoy driving my truck except for the whole 55 mph sounding like it's going to explode part. The wife says it sounds normal to her but I'm not a fan of it.

Iceman3005

@ sandcobra164 and bshupe, will need a tv cable bracket, they don't make these any more so will have too find one in a junkyard or make one, there is a pic on this thread. will need a tv cable rod, this hooks onto side of pump/throttle linkage and connects to tv cable at the back of motor. I called local chevy dealer, they can get them through there classic vehicle distributor for $25. Will need a tv cable, I got mine at local parts store for $16. New flex plate, also might want to consider getting a new torque converter, I got the flex plate for $60 and the TC for $100, it is a 1600 stall with lockup. Also will need the lockup kit, I got mine for $100. This is where I got TC, Flexplate, and Lockup kit Bowtie Overdrives . The 700r4 is only 1/2 an inch longer than the turbo 400, I didn't need to move the trans/transfer case crossmember, will also need an NP208 from the back of a turbo 350, make sure it comes with adapter, this is a direct bolt up to the back of the 700r4, NO modifications required! Drive shafts will NOT need to be modified, they will bolt right up to the NP208 that came of the turbo 350. That's it, as far as shifter linkages, and trans cooler lines for trans/transfercase, everything is the same no modifications required. Will need to use dipstick tube from the 700r4 it is a little different than the turbo 400.

sandcobra164

fantastic answer Iceman. I had this about figured out, that clears it up. FYI as well, for a lockup kit on a 700R4, if you put a regular valve body check ball on top of the solenoid before you install it, the torque converter will lock up automatically in 3rd and 4th. I had an 86 Z28 one time that the electrical system had been gutted in. 2 options was the trans guy's reply, wire a switch that you'd have to flip to lock up the torque converter in 3rd and 4th or place the check ball on top of the solenoid and let it do it by itself. It still allowed for unlocked converter operation in 3rd and 4th while accelerating or passing and worked flawlessly for years.

pa.rich

I have a 87 with the 350 and think it is the 700r4 and the np205 t.c. The question I have is how do I know for sure its the 700? I have a chevy manual and it says if the tag on the tranny is on passenger side and above the pan in the rear its a 700 .It is there but couldnt read it completely. So the tag is in the correct place. Yet, it does real high rpms on the highway and feels like no overdrive. The shift indicator show drive 1,drive2, and drive. I want to I.D. this tranny. I came across a goodwrench engine rebuilt 700r4 tranny, and 205 transfer case for 400. Will it fit in? Sounds like a good deal if it fits. What do you guys think? This engine,trans and t.case is out of a 82 Suburban with 4x4. Comments?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks