• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

Last night was not very productive. I pulled out about a half dozen stock used windshield and rear side glass rubbers. I handpicked them and soaked them in cleaner. The cleaner they got the worse they looked. I am not using any of them. I will send them to the crusher in a wrecked car. I didn't do all this work to half fast the window seals. the ones that were 95% had paint on them and it was CARC. Not coming off. I cleaned them thoroughly and hung them in the basement for a few hours and went down when they were dry and put them in a trash bag. That was EASY. I contacted my glass guy and am waiting to hear back from him. I will figure this out. I had brand new GM windshield seals a few years back. They were old and hard also. I will give the imports a try. the side glass seals are on back order at LMC. I will try another vendor. Have a Great Day. Not the end of the world.

Sezzo

No worries. Time weather most vehicles - especially rubber parts on vehicles and rubber in general. Never use a rubber seal twice. It will give you problems. Unfortunately the aftermarket rubber seals often fit poorly. With LMC and Rockauto you should be good to go. Good luck. Take care.

cucvrus

I found the perfect song for a CUCV owner that is filled with troubles after purchasing a CUCV that has been hacked.

Since you came into my life
It's the same old situation
Empty days and lonely nights
Filled with bitterness and frustration.
Walking lonely in the cold
Trying to find the answer
Spend my money on a crystal ball
And the charms of a gypsy dancer
Trying to break the spell you hold on me.
Chorus:
You're miss misery
That song you lay on me
Set me free, set me free
Please, please, please.
Every day is filled with shame
My nights are filled with anger
Hollow lies, forced denial
If you told the truth I can't remember.
You know, I've got to find my way
Got to find a reason
Got to find your weakness
So I can end your witchin' season
Got to break this spell you hold on me.
Chorus:
Lead
Can't think how I got myself
Caught up in this nightmare
Evil schemes, midnight screams
Come on somebody listen to my prayer.
I'd give all I've got to give
Just to find my way out
Got it goin' but I can't let go
I'm trapped on this crazy roundabout
Tryin' to break this spell you hold on me.

A little entertainment to start the day off. Have a Great Weekend.

cucvrus

WOW yesterday was like Christmas all over again. I received my order from LMC and still have more parts on the way. I was happy with the parts I received and in my experience the after-market parts quality has improved over the past 10 years. I was happy to see that all the parts I ordered were in stock and I still have 2 more orders coming with new parts. They sell every part that I was needing down to the rubber bumpers that go in the dash at the glove box. I needed the rubber stops in the bottom of the door where the window sash bottoms out, and they had them. Impressive. I opened every part and checked them out for quality and design. They were given an A+. My current build has all OEM sheet metal, door panels and dash pad but I needed al the soft rubber seals and gaskets. Door handle gaskets, taillamp gaskets all the stuff that looks bad when you reassemble. I guess I will wait for a sunny spring day to put the windshield and side glass back in. That way the rubber seals are pliable and cooperate. No need to rush. I have been working for years now. Another few months won't hurt a thing. Take Care and Have a Great Weekend.

cucvrus

This is not a huge step forward but it is progress in the right direction. At least the bumpers are in the same room as the M1009. This gives them time to get better aquatinted before being permanently attached to each other. I am braving the cold and doing some organizing. Finding lots of forgotten items. They have TV shows about this thang. I meant thang. Take Care Be werry werry careful.IMG_0953.jpeg

cucvrus

After church I went to the basement and looked at my steering column rebuild project. I was dragging behind looking for parts and I finally have them Al together. IMG_1411.jpeg I was looking hard for the OEM parts I knew I had. I am finding many things I forgot I had. IMG_1412.jpeg I have everything clean and now want to look for some grease to lube everything before I reassemble the column. Some like white lithium grease I can brush on all the moving parts. Take Care. IMG_1413.jpeg

cucvrus

Today after work it was not a very nice day outside so I completed the steering column in the basement of my home. IMG_1448.jpeg I bought a tube of white lithium grease and cleaned and lubed every moving part. IMG_1449.jpeg I installed a new turn signal switch because I had several and thought may as well change it, I also installed a new ignition switch on the lower column. I never did get that lock cylinder out. Did matter I wanted it the same as stock anyway so I cl anted it and lubed it in place.IMG_1453.jpeg Everything went smoothly. I could have used an extra set of hands but I am learning to adapt. IMG_1450.jpeg The grease from 40 years ago has sort of fossilized and does nothing. A lot of dirt particles have adhered to that old grease and I found that thru out the column. IMG_1453.jpeg IMG_1454.jpeg I will wait to install the steering wheel when it is back in the truck. No point in having it in my way and getting it all dirty again. Thank you for looking. I also have the wing vents windows in the basement on the work bench. I am working on them also. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Anyone that is not patient and persistent should not involve themselves in over hailing the wing vents. These are the 2-piece design and let me tell you they put me thru 3-4 hours to do the passenger's side only. I feel I learned a little but not much. I must do the driver's side but sure am not looking forward to it. For some reason I can’t post pictures. I will try later. Be Safe.

Attachments

cucvrus

This picture shows window frame with the new rubbers installed before the vent glass is attached. IMG_1460.jpeg
This is the completed right wing vent assembly ready to install. IMG_1464.jpegIMG_1467.jpegThis last picture shows my OEM left wing Vent with the chrome handle and the chrome outer button on the glass. IMG_1465.jpeg I had to buff down a new rivet gun to fit in the channel. I think the window looks great. Still not an easy task changing the rubbers.

Attachments

Last edited:

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This picture shows window frame with the new rubbers installed before the vent glass is attached. View attachment 919792
This is the completed right wing vent assembly ready to install. View attachment 919793View attachment 919789This last picture shows my OEM left wing Vent with the chrome handle and the chrome outer button on the glass. View attachment 919790 I had to buff down a new rivet gun to fit in the channel. I think the window looks great. Still not an easy task changing the rubbers.
I know your pain…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks