• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 no power need assistance

rodman68

Been a long day still trying to figure this thing out kids need to use it for college. Drove it yesterday because kids were having cold start issues to a friends house barely made it home felt like fuel starving issues. I replaced filter no luck noticed fuel pump was weaping replaced that tonight it seems to run better but the idle is much slower than before and still very sluggish. It does idle so I dont think its air in lines but when you give it fuel it pretty well doesnt do anything. Help needed looks like i will be taking work of tomorrow need to get this fixed was going elk hunting on wednesday also. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge and is there a flow test that can be done. When I bleed the air out it didnt seem like a large amount of fuel coming out.

Last edited by a moderator:

cjamison08

There really shouldn't be much pressure up to the IP, like 5 to 7 psi is about all it needs, if that. But it has to have atleast 1500 psi from the IP to pop the injectors. Does it have any exhaust smoke while running? And if so what color?

rodman68

There is no exhaust smoke that seems ok, I just checked the check valve on top of the IP and it was clear I can see thru it. Went ahead and changed that fuel line that goes to that also. Started it up and the same issue it idles but it seems slower than normal I had to adjust the idle speed to keep it going and when you give it fuel it stumbles then dies. Sure sounds like fuel starvation to me.

cjamison08

Yea, sounds like it starving itself, make sure your air filter isn't plugged up, that will starve it for air, and it will act just like fuel starvation, and make sure the exhaust isn't plugged anywhere either, if both check out, sounds like it might be time to pull the injectors and make sure they aren't coked up.

rodman68

Air filter is ok and the mufflers are not original I changed them when I got the vehicle two years ago. I can try the injectors but I wouldnt think all eight would go bad all at once. It acts just like my ford 7.3 idi did when the fuel pump went bad thats why I changed it and also it looks like its been leaking. Wonder if my tank is having issues?

cjamison08

It may not be all 8 injectors, but on an 8 cylinder, 2 dead cylinders can cause a whole lot of grief. Unfortunately if its got anything to do with the IP, I'm of no help. I too am having fueling issues. But when I first got my m1009 I had one glow plug not heating, and when mine would start, it had to drag a pretty much dead cylinder till it got warm, and just 1 cylinder was like it was starving itself till it warmed up, but mine had a very rough idle from it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM 9-2320-289-20 Tech Manual, Chapter 2-15, page 2-40

Step 5. Check for contaminated fuel by draining fuel from fuel filter draincock into suitable
container. Check color of fuel to determine if the correct fuel is in fuel system.
Drain fuel and replace if contaminated or incorrect fuel is in fuel system.
WARNING
Diesel fuel is flammable. When disconnecting fuel lines to test fuel flow,
direct fuel spray away from source of ignition. A fire extinguisher must be
on hand in work area. Failure to follow this warning may result in serious
injury or death to personnel.

Step 6. Check fuel pump operation. Disconnect input fuel line at the fuel filter. Disconnect
pink lead from fuel injector pump. Use a quart capacity container, and crank
engine for 15 seconds. Container should be at least ¼ full or contain ½ pt (0.231)
of fuel. Install low pressure gage in fuel line. Crank engine for 15 more seconds.
Fuel pressure should be 5.5-6.5 psi (38-45 kPa). Reconnect fuel inlet line to fuel
filter, and reconnect pink lead to fuel injector pump.
If fuel flow is insufficient, replace fuel pump. (See paragraph 3-10)

Step 7. Bleed fuel filter. (See paragraph 3-17)

Barrman

Are you sure it has diesel in it? To go from running great to barely running in just a few miles almost always comes down to the fuel system. Suggestions above have dealt with fuel filters, fuel pumps, fuel return and the IP. About the only thing left is the fuel and the sock in the tank. Bad fuel could also have algae in it which could clog up the intank sock.

rodman68

It has fuel did a flow and pressure test to the input of the fuel filter, fuel filter was changed will do a flow and pressure test on the output of the fuel filter housing i need to get a hose barb for 1/4 inch line.

cjamison08

Barrman makes a good point, sounds like at this point its not so much of a fuel flow issue, as it is a fuel quality issue, try running it from a 5 gallon gas can with fresh diesel and see what happens.

rodman68

I might be missing something here if the sock was clogged I wouldnt get fuel flow correct and or fuel pressure. Visual inspection of the fuel looks good dont see any particles, cloudiness or water in it, i put the fuel that I dropped out of the drain inside for a couple hours.

cjamison08

If you have 9 psi out of the filter, sounds like the lift pump is fine, I believe it pumps from the tank to through the filter to the IP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. But kinda sounds like more of a quality issue still, I believe the IP is either a go or no go situation, where if it goes bad, the truck just simply will not run.

rodman68

Well got some good news its moving down the road, put everything together and started good but at first kinda sluggish. Then noticed the diesel ping/clatter was getting loader and loader after a few minutes the idle got faster and it would accelerate just fine. Took it for a spin and all seemed ok with the M1009. Did I have some air bubbles in the IP? On my 7.3 idi international usually if I have air bubbles it wouldnt idle very good more like missing cylinders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks