• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 for my daughter the field biologist

cucvrus

Does anyone know about the vents in the upper rear sides of the M1010 box?
Mine let very little air pass.

There are louvers on the outside, a course screen on the inside, and a fine screen
in the middle (#1 below). On mine, that fine screen seems to be obstructed by a
solid barrier that leaves only small openings around the perimeter. You can see
the light coming through that small opening in the darker image below. It's as
though there were a square piece of cardboard covering most of that inner screen.

Before I drill out the rivets and tear into this, I thought I'd ask the group if anyone
has a better ideal

View attachment 643355View attachment 643356View attachment 643357View attachment 643358View attachment 643370
That system was designed around the NBC unit that would be located on the front wall. I seen one only once. The vents are open just enough to allow a bit of ventilation. In an ambulance you would not want free flowing air with the dirt that would enter. That is my observation. They opened them up just enough to allow minimum ventilation and take out the moisture from up to 9 people breathing in that compartment. That is my understanding. I did meet Gordie / President from Mark Body. I sold him an M1010 back in the mid 90's.

WARWAG

While the food was heating, I drove around a bit. I encountered some long, steep grades where the M1010 could only manage 20MPH. These were narrow mountain roads, not major highways. It was a little discouraging to sit there at full throttle, maybe 2500 RPM, at 20 MPH. So I didn't have enough power to get out of first gear. On one long grade, I was like that for a solid 20 minutes.

The Berkshires are not high enough for altitude to impact performance much. These were just steep grades. I had plenty of time to contemplate how one might improve this up-hill performance, but I didn't come up with much short of an engine swap. I don't think a blower or different gearing would have helped much. Weight reduction would certainly help, but I was the only passenger. There were several hundred pounds of tools, supplies, and and gear in the back, but that was just the basic load.

I guess I just need to resign myself to using the "slow vehicle" lane on steep grades. If there is no such lane, that sucks for the people behind me.

If folks have any suggestions on how to make a CUCV more mountain-capable, I'd be very interested to hear them. As for cooking with the MRE heater, it will definitely make food hot. You can put any food you like in zip-lock bags. Actual cooking skill is still on my list of things to learn, but the tools are in place.
Your best way to increase power is with a Banks Turbo system or a A-Team Turbo. I personally will be going with a A-Team Turbo. You will also see about a 20% increase in fuel economy.

WARWAG

Right. The thought has occurred to me. Right now, she drives a Subaru Outback. It doesn't get her nearly as far back into the old logging roads as a CUCV would, and it doesn't have nearly the accommodations of an M1010. But it's not 30 years old...

I've toyed with the idea of building her something like an M1010 on a modern chassis-cab. With all the complexity of computer-controlled everything, I'm not sure what would be more reliable... She'd trade the hassle of fuel additive for the hassle of exhaust fluid.

The good news about everything that's failed on the M1010 is that I've been able to fix everything in my driveway, or on the side of the road, with the tools in the truck. The collection of spare parts on the truck has grown and evolved as I've learned. It now includes freeze-out plugs, for instance. Whenever I buy parts, I buy spares for later.

When the freeze-out plug failed, I put RTV on a stainless sheet metal screw and drove it into the hole. That kept the truck running while I waited for parts. I don't have the sense that a modern truck would be amenable to such temporary work-arounds. When the computer goes, you're dead in the water until you can get a new one. And you need another computer to diagnose problems.

The thought was to refresh the M1010, get it reliable, and teach her how to maintain it. So far, it's not reliable yet.

I have a road trip scheduled later this week. A cousin (Navy pilot) and his son (Marine) are being interred at Arlington with my Aunt and Uncle (both Navy). I leave time in the itinerary for CUCV issues. If I can't get it reliable for trips like this, I can't get it reliable enough for my daughter.

Wish me luck!
Once you work out the problems your vehicle will be be much better off road than any modern vehicle. First off most modern vehicles need a computer diagnostic equipment to figure out what the real problem is if your lucky. You won't have those in the bush. If you look at the individual components on a cucv they are pretty stout. Dana 60, Corp 14 Bolt, NP208 (just fine), Turbo 400, Detroit diesel (simple and mechanical). You can improve the Detroit Diesel simply. The NP208 is fine for most people but you can swap in a NP205 if you want a bullet proof T Case. The biggest issues people have are with the electrical system. Usually they are hacked. Your daughter is smart or she wouldn't be able to do the job she has. a simple tool bag and repair manual will go a long way to help her bush mechanic skills. That can't be said for a computer filled modern vehicle with WEAK aluminum components designed to break, die and to be replaced by a fully trained dealer mechanic.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I share the frustration of the mountain grades now that I live in the GA mountains. More often than not, I threaten the 454 swap. I need to find the right balance here.

jpg

Was that a typo:

- 20%!?
Not a typo. A manufacturer's claim, prominently mentioned in their SALES & MARKETING materials, so it *must* be true.

The fairing manufacturer also claims a 20% improvement in fuel economy if I put a fairing on the front of the box. That and a turbo will give me 40% better mileage! I'm already calculating how far a tank of fuel will take me with that extra 40%. ;^)

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Not a typo. A manufacturer's claim, prominently mentioned in their SALES & MARKETING materials, so it *must* be true.

The fairing manufacturer also claims a 20% improvement in fuel economy if I put a fairing on the front of the box. That and a turbo will give me 40% better mileage! I'm already calculating how far a tank of fuel will take me with that extra 40%. ;^)
You're right. I'm sure it's all true!

And if you stay home entirely and NEVER go out, you'll get 100% improvement in fuel economy:

- Vote Early and Vote Often!!!

IS this a great country or what??!

jpg

Hi guys.

I have a bunch of projects hanging fire. I was waiting until work settles down, but it stays crazy. I was planning to do a bunch of these projects this summer with my son, but he went and got 3 summer jobs. Messed up my plans, but it's tough to fault the kid for working hard.

• I bought the full Banks turbo kit with exhaust when they announced they were going to discontinue it for the 6.2,
  • I have the full Arctic kit, with coolant and cab/battery heater, ducted oil pan, etc.
  • I have 3 heaters for the rear compartment. One needs parts, which I now have. I just need to get one to actually heat, and install it.
  • I have a spare fuel tank & shield, so I can install a second tank.
  • I have a new set of seats, which I figured to install just before I handed the truck over to my daughter. Then she went to grad school, so the timeline moved out 2 years.
  • I bought a winch, which I have yet to install.
  • I was planning to have a starter and IP rebuilt, to install the rebuilds, and then have my current ones rebuilt as spares. The IP works OK, but the starter sometimes clicks and fails to engage. It's better since I properly torqued the bolts, but my confidence is shaken,
  • I have the TV bracket and cable for an eventual 700R4 swap, maybe... I've been reading and talking with folks about the pros and cons. The jury is still out on this one.
  • Finally I have a new set of shocks ready to go on.

All this stuff is sitting in boxes in our storage unit. Don't tell my wife. I've been collecting parts faster than I can install them.

Monday I have surgery to remove a nasty cancer. If it goes badly, my kids will be hitting you guys up for truck advice and support, either to help them maintain it and install all this stuff, or to find it a new home. I know you guys will help them out. That's Plan B. Plan A is I'll be back on line in a week. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

-jpg

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I share the frustration of the mountain grades now that I live in the GA mountains. More often than not, I threaten the 454 swap. I need to find the right balance here.
350 or similar crate (or junkyard) motor. Lighter and more fuel efficient than a big block and nearly twice the HP of the 6.2.

Or just tough it out with the 6.2....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow JPG. Hang tough brother, we (I) will pray for a speedy recovery.

Ray, the 350 is an option too. A nice TBI motor sounds appealing. Sadly, I have a 96 burb in S FL that has a Gen V 454 MFI and the 4L80E. That swap appeals to me but instead, I'm selling it in place and likely very cheap. Dang

Another Ahab

Hi guys.

Monday I have surgery to remove a nasty cancer. If it goes badly, my kids will be hitting you guys up for truck advice and support, either to help them maintain it and install all this stuff, or to find it a new home. I know you guys will help them out. That's Plan B. Plan A is I'll be back on line in a week. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

-jpg
Good luck on your surgery. I'm sure it'll go well. You'll see.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys.

(edit)

Thanks,

-jpg

JPG,
Our prayers are for your speeding and perfect recovery. May God Almighty - the Great Physician - focus the learned minds, guide the skilled hands, and work His miracles through your doctors and other care professionals. I look forward to your testimony of His wonderful works.
In Jesus' name we pray.
AMEN.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one suggestion for you. Organize your parts into boxes of projects. Clearly label one box WINCH, another TURBO, another HEATERS, another ARCTIC KIT, another TRANSMISSION, another SHOCKS etc. If you don't have enough boxes, buy plastic bins from the dollar store or Wally World will work to help you keep everything organized. That will make it much easier for you to grab all of the components needed to work on one project.

I'm sending prayers your pay, jpg. Take care of yourself, Brother. The M1010 won't complain too much while you're recuperating. Take time to heal before you tackle those major projects.

jpg

I'm in good shape regarding organization, I think. The parts are all in the boxes they came in. I haven't even opened the Banks boxes. I'm short on time and experience in this kind of work.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I'm staying focused on Plan A.

I have one suggestion for you. Organize your parts into boxes of projects. Clearly label one box WINCH, another TURBO, another HEATERS, another ARCTIC KIT, another TRANSMISSION, another SHOCKS etc. If you don't have enough boxes, buy plastic bins from the dollar store or Wally World will work to help you keep everything organized. That will make it much easier for you to grab all of the components needed to work on one project.

I'm sending prayers your pay, jpg. Take care of yourself, Brother. The M1010 won't complain too much while you're recuperating. Take time to heal before you tackle those major projects.

WARWAG

Cancer Sucks. Good luck with the surgery. Prayers your way.

A 350 tbi or even a 454 will net you single digit MPGS. The low gearing guarantees that. The Banks turbo will gain you much more usable power and will net you better mileage. You will no longer cringe when you see a grade up ahead of you. Your not going to win any quarter mile races unless it's a non turbo M1010. It will be like a new truck though.

Good luck again with your surgery. Keep us posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks