• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 for my daughter the field biologist

cucvrus

I know I am going to get some haters here on this. I NEVER changed any delivery nozzles on any of my CUCV's ever. I had a few with leaks at seams and changed them with used delivery nozzles. I have changed many injection pumps. I have a local guy that deals with diesels all the time. He told me most fuel problems are with the rotary injection pumps. I trusted him and still do. I put a brand new HMMWV pump on one M1009. It had a hard advance clatter. I switched the delivery nozzles from a HMMWV engine the clatter was still there. It ran fine but it would sound like junk and was a head turner where ever I went. That injection pump lasted less then 9 months. I changed it with a rebuilt one and left the delivery nozzles from the HMMWV in the M1009. It has run fine since. I know a few things about the CUCV's so I am vigilant and always tinkering. I think that is what it takes. No major melt downs to date. Have not walked home at anytime in 20+ years. Got stuck in mud and snow a few times and had a few issues that needed deep thought. The injection pump replacement is a cure all for many starting driving and vehicle drivability issues. It is about a $350-$400 item and worth every penny. No need to turn up fuel and mess with it. It works well as designed IMHO. Do as you wish. But I would lay my $$$$ on the injection pump, a fresh fuel filter, lift pump and intake gaskets and call it a day. Pull the glow plugs bleed the system out and reinstall the glow plugs and start it up. About a 4 hour job start to finish. Now resting, talking and refreshing add time. Good Luck. I am considering the road trip. Do you have an air compressor?

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I know I am going to get some haters here on this. I NEVER changed any delivery nozzles on any of my CUCV's ever.
How are you figuring anybody's going to fire hate in your direction just because you have a plan that works for you?

And if anybody DOES, well then just "fuhgeddaboutem".

rustystud

How are you figuring anybody's going to fire hate in your direction just because you have a plan that works for you?

And if anybody DOES, well then just "fuhgeddaboutem".
Totally agree with Mr. Ahab here. If they work then don't mess with them. Usually the last item I replace is an injector. Using good fuel and some additives helps keep them running well for many miles.
On our busses we had a maintenance program where they had to be changed out every 50,000 miles. Period. They always looked great to me, but I was a good little "soldier" and did what I was told ! OK maybe I didn't always do what I was told, I was a Marine after all ! (those trouble makers !!! ) .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have an injector problem, you will likely know it. I had one fail on a roadtrip and it sure was apparent. Few shots with the laser heat gun and I suspected where the problem was. 15 minutes, a few burnt fingers and one used injector later, I was in full boogie.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That cylinder was cold, not firing right. All the others were about the same. Never really looked at it, just tossed it.

jpg

No smoke from anywhere. Picking up new IP this afternoon. It's not just a CUCV, it's an adventure!

cucvrus

That's what I thought. That would have been to simple. I heard of big diesels and a torch being cranked over in winter and being started. That was a WW II story about German Panzers in winter time. I think there may be some validity to that tale. Makes sense.

rustystud

Yeah, your not going to get a diesel engine to fire by just pouring diesel down the intake. You can use "ether" though. Or brakecleen.
Just be careful that the glow-plugs are disconnected ! Also don't use a lot of ether. A little goes a long way in diesels. You don't want to blow the heads off ! I mean that literally ! Normally I would never use ether on a diesel engine, but if your trying to diagnose a "no start" problem it can help.

cucvrus

My experience has been it will only bind on ether and not start if NO diesel is present. I use a whiff on occasion. Extreme conditions call for extreme measures. Not recommended on a daily basis.

Csm Davis

Don't pour diesel in the intake or anything else, you can hydrolock you engine! If you need to crank a diesel without ether use a rag with gas on it and leave the air filter in place and put the rag over the air filter intake.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks