• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a1 trailer rebuild

xjghost

Success! Left side is mostly done. I need a socket for the hub nut. The 2 9/16th in my hub nut socket kit doesn’t fit. So anyone got a link to a known working hub nut socket?

IMG_5724.jpegIMG_5726.jpegIMG_5727.jpeg

Oh yea forgot to mention the brakes work!

xjghost

Started on the right. This trailer is fighting me the whole way. Brake line tube was crushed so I pulled the one off the other axle I have. Cable came out but the new one will nit go in. Also the arm the cable attaches to is bent on this side too.

IMG_5728.jpeg

IMG_5730.jpeg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

xjghost

The chassis is M116A1, the bed attached to the body is what makes it an M101A1. Military equipment can have different model numbers for each part of them, or just for different attachments.
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that.

NEIOWA

So got it home. Now I have a front gear and 2 more rims. I need to source some good tires. 9R16’s are pricey. Is there any 16” that is a skinny 35” other than Boggers? P-metric?

Also gives me some brackets needed and shows me how the two mate. Hopefully next weekend I can get back at it.
Coker tire makes repops of a several widths of 16" NDT. Looks like 3/4t truck used 9.00x16. M101 trailer the same?

900-16 STA Military NDT Tire (cokertire.com)

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
your parking brake handles DONT use those little triangular braces to hold them. The handles attach directly to the trailer frame.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The triangle braces go on the rear, and just forward of the tire. The other flat parts (6 or 8 total) use bolt heads in the frame, the flat parts then a nut to squeeze it all together. There are spacers that go in between the parking brake handles and the frame.

Trailer1.jpgTrailer2.jpgtrailer3.jpgtrailer4.jpgtrailer5.jpg

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive seen many of these trailers, none ever had the cargo box triangles attached to the brake handles. If it works for you, rock on.

xjghost

Ive seen many of these trailers, none ever had the cargo box triangles attached to the brake handles. If it works for you, rock on.
I built them. That is steel I welded to the frame to catch the front hole on the brake levers. Thanks for the pictures of the brackets and tabs that hold the bed to the frame.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They probably should have done that mod from the factory.
I've lost count of the number of bent brake handles I've seen.
Not sure how they do bend them, but they manage to do so a lot.

Every single one of my M101A2 trailers brake handles were bent to varying degrees of bend.
From slight to almost 90 degrees.
The towable air compressors I just picked up also had bent brake handles and their not always easy to bend back.

So while his might not be a factory brace, it looks like it will add strength to a highly bendable item.

Last edited:

xjghost

Brought the trailer home. Friend put a coat on it for rust protection. Don’t look close. I need something different for tires. 11R16’s are way too big. Time to reattach the tub.
IMG_5948.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks