• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a1 trailer rebuild

xjghost

So I’ve been coming here looking at info and working on a trailer I saved. I picked it up in February this year. Plan was to put it back to as close to factory as I could and convert it to dump. Yes I know these aren’t dump trailers. Plan was to brace the tongue and the pivot mounts where it will rotate. It was free just had to drive up to NC and get it. I live in Camden, SCIMG_4867.jpegIMG_4868.jpegIMG_4869.jpegIMG_4870.jpegIMG_4872.jpegIMG_4873.jpeg

xjghost

I tried to get the old axle out but it ended up being a pain. So a cut off wheel made short work of the u bolts and it took a torch and air hammer to get the pieces out of the old axle.
IMG_5086.jpeg70320131037__7C3362E1-404D-45E9-9939-6AEB836D45A6.jpegIMG_5085.jpegIMG_5091.jpeg

xjghost

Next mission was to go get some tires and rims. This trailer had none. I found 4 up in NC for $400. So off I went on another adventure.
IMG_5060.jpegIMG_5061.jpeg

He bought out a guy retiring from MV restoration and parts sales. He had left hand nuts and 2 more rims. So of course I snagged them too.

xjghost

I found the cable tube on the braking plate mangled. So it had to be cut off. once mounted the cable appears the right length but the metal shield seems short or I have it mounted in the wrong spot. The pdf says it’s held in place with the bracket and a u bolt.

IMG_5491.jpeg
So here we are. I dismantled the hand brake controller and they are in bad shape. I’ll likely get some new ones.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not sure which spring pack you used but the original m116a1e1 I believe has extra leafs for additional weight load capacity around 500 for 3590

xjghost

Small update. No work done yet. I called Kratzke Machining & Fabricating Company Monday and left a message. He called back Tuesday. I sent an email in about the parts with a picture from this thread. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/m101-trailer-series-brand-new-brake-levers.200176/
Got my quote today of $155 each. PayPal'd $310 and they should ship today. I will update both threads when I get them in hand. I found a piece of 1/5 tube to see if it will work as a replacement to the piece rusted out and crushed on my brake backing plate.

xjghost

Received them today. Can’t complain about anything. Great service and great communication. Looks to be an exact duplicate to me. My only concern is the fact that mine bent were the stick out from the frame. I might build a dolt on support brace. Now I need tub brackets and how it attaches to the frame and a front leg. I have a line on a parts trailer with all that but it’s $300 I can’t spare right now.
IMG_5585.jpeg

xjghost

So got it home. Now I have a front gear and 2 more rims. I need to source some good tires. 9R16’s are pricey. Is there any 16” that is a skinny 35” other than Boggers? P-metric?

IMG_5671.jpegIMG_5672.jpegIMG_5673.jpeg
Also gives me some brackets needed and shows me how the two mate. Hopefully next weekend I can get back at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks