• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061A1 ...Recovered

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need a little help with this trailer. I'm going next week to fetch it. What I'm wondering is if there is anywhere under the trailer but above the axles to lift and tie off the axle? I would like to be certain I have everything I need and tying up an axle can get you out of a world of hurt if you have the ability. Pics a plus but if anyone can explain what's above the axle, it would help. I've searched google images extensively and while there are plenty of pics, only a few of the underside.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If my stupid brain can remember, I'll look underneath when I get home. Offhand, I don't think so, crossmembers and frame are tight against the deck.

Does it have the spare tire?

When I pulled mine home with a civvy truck, I removed all the jacks, spare tire, wheel chocks and anythings I could, then put them in the truck bed for extra weight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an inop spare on the deck. I don't know if there is one on the hoist. The seller is Charlotte County Sheriff's Office and they have 2 of there. Guess I find out next week.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yippee!! If JW gets it at the GA Rally we will have to figure out what to load it with for the trip back up north.

:)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MS51983-1 and MS51983-2 are the lugnut numbers and they are common with the deuce and 5 ton front lugnuts. So to answer my own question, yes they are 1 1/2".

Thanks TMs

3dAngus

NOt only 1 1/2", but the wheels would go on a deuce or a M105 if need be. It would definitely LOWER it.

It was my favorite trailer of all, alas, I needed the room, and still do for more new old stuff to come in.

Still hoping to get some room for a trailer with gen from a fellow member here, but can't get it in just yet, and need greenbacks that have recently been spent on other stuff. Someone is going to be very happy with that one, but they are heavy, and I would not tow that thing anywhere without the brakes hooked up unless it is on TOP of a trailer. Good luck with it.

jw4x4

Glad to hear you say I am gonna be happy with this trailer. Been wanting one ever since I saw Carnac's at a Georgia Rally. I am currently searching for new tires just in case. I took a close look at the pics. Appears to be a metal door frame rigged up to a stand. maybe someone was practicing breaching entry techniques????

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer has made the 135 mile pilgrimage to my place. Dealing with Charlotte County Sheriff's Office was surprisingly pleasant. Upon arrival I expected to be pointed towards the trailer and told "there it is". This wasn't the case. The aircraft mechanic had the trailer in the bay and had just finished topping off all the tires. He also cleaned off the deck and put the spare (flat) back up under the trailer. After we hooked up he said I should go over to their HQ ( A block away) and attempt to find someone who knew something about the sale. I did so and the secretary was perplexed with what I was telling her. She was determined to find an answer and after 4 phone calls, she did. I was advised to have a seat and someone would be with me shortly. To my surprise the door opened in 5 minutes and a young lady asked for me by name. When I responded she handed me a title and thanks! WOW, good deal right there. $300, no fees and a FL Title in hand.

My associate took a few minutes to switch out the bulbs while a checked things out. The trailer is very complete and actually in nice shape. There are some areas on the deck with some pitting but they will blast out just fine. Once prechecks were complete, we hit the road.

20 mile check showed everything looking great. Hub temps averaged about 86 and the hottest tire was 107. 80 mile check showed the hubs slightly hotter at 95 and the hottest tire at 121. Even at 121 the tire was not overly hot to the touch. There is some weather checking on the tires but tread wise they are great.

The title was issued to CCSO in 1998 so it looks like they've had it 15 years. The airframe mechanic said he's never seen it leave the property. There is no sign of it ever having a tag on it either.

All in all a pretty good deal. JW4x4 should be most pleased with his new trailer and it's affordable pricetag.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been wanting to get one to pull behind the wrecker, would be very handy when I go to pick stuff up that is just a bit too big for a M105, making me find a driver to bring another truck and trailer along.

Nice score and great deal!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks