• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 spare tire carrier and other mods

Jim Dow

Finished Elect-3.jpgOK, this weekend I finished the 12v system providing 8 LED light fixtures (including 2 outside spot lights), a 12v power outlet with 10' extension cord, a voltmeter, and two (2) USB charging ports for cell phones.
The 110v system was installed earlier - to include four (4) weatherproof outlets - for use with a generator to charge the AGM batteries.
This is how the trailer looks now.

Next, and final, I'll install the generator rack along with the gas can rack and the cooler/LP gas rack. Maybe I'll finish before turkey season ends.

Jim Dow

Loading Equipment.jpgLoading even a small amount of camping gear on board makes the trailer look like progress has been made.
I can't wait to get it out on the trail for the first trip.

Jim Dow

License Plate Mount.jpgSupport Leg.JPGI received a question regarding the mounting of the license plate.

The license plate is mounted to a piece of steel angle iron which is welded to a 2" x 2" hitch extension purchased at Lowe's. The hitch extension had to be cut back a couple of inches to insure that the holes in the rear support leg mount aligned. I just used a bolt to secure the cut-down hitch extender/tag mount to the support leg mount. If I need to use the left support leg, I simply remove the bolt/tag mount; and I'm good to go.

Jim Dow

In my response to the question about mounting the license plate, you can observe the added 18" LED (taillight/stoplight) light bars. I mounted these to ensure that my taillight/stoplights were bright. These LED lights were purchased from an online truck accessory store.

Jim Dow

Steps-Initial.jpgNow I'm constructing some fold-up/retractable steps (with a landing & handhold) for entering the trailer safely. These steps will be attached to the bumper.

Jim Dow

At this point in the conversion, there have been NO holes drilled into the trailer; and there have been NO welds applied directly to the trailer.
I make this observation; because I have read other posts/comments to the effect that the M1101 trailer (constructed of aluminum) provided very few/if any hard points to support modifications to the trailer.
I assure everyone attempting a conversion of this trailer that there are plenty of ways to add parts/attachments to this trailer without drilling additional holes and/or welding supports to this trailer.

Jim Dow

Battery Box-1.jpgWater Pipes.jpgToday (April 5, 2015) is supposed to be the day the from racks (fuel can, water can/tubes, and generator) are welded to the removable base plates.
From the attached pictures, you can see the removable base plates/vertical tubes that the racks will be welded onto.

Jim Dow

Welding the front rack

Front Rack Prelim Load.jpgFront Rack Welding.jpgFront Rack.jpgOK, today (April 7, 2015) I had the front rack welded in place. Space for a fuel can, a water can, the two water tubes, and a generator (see two forward struts). Now I just have to re-paint the steel and tidy up the place.

Jim Dow

Table-Right Side.jpgTable Left Side.jpgTable Detail.jpgThis past weekend I (my friend Ed and I - mostly Ed) built a foldable table to mount on either side of the trailer. The table is mounted into the vertical formed slots on either side of the trailer. The table is mounted using NO screws/NO welds/NO bolts; it simply fits into the slots.

Jim Dow

Regarding the side table, the two white PVC pipes will be used to support a tarp over the table. A hold is drilled into the table top; and a pipe is inserted through each hole. Each pipe will be pulled against the bottom edge of the trailer; and the lower end of each pipe sits on the ground.

OldTow

I really like this idea, but can you show those of us like ME that are just "plumb dumb" some more pictures of the table folded up, and what is holding it up please? :???:

cyclic

The wood is cut to length, it fits under the aluminum top lip of the trailer. Gravity holds it. Interesting idea, but I don't like how soft the aluminum is and any major weight will bend the lip. I can easily flex it with just finger pressure.

Jim Dow

The aluminum is soft and heavy weight would permanently bend it. In my case, the table is elbow height to lessen the likelihood that someone would sit on it. My table is intended as an eating table ONLY. I have another foldup table to support a small LP grill and other stuff.
The table for the side of the trailer simply folds up to be slid into the bed of the trailer when we move on down the trail. It's the first thing out of the trailer when we stop.

Jim Dow

Side Table-Tarp.jpgCampSite.jpgSide Table.jpgSide Table-Tarp 2.jpgWell, I "finished" the conversion; and I took the trailer out for a camping trip this weekend - shakedown cruise.
Everything worked out fine; except I discovered that I needed one additional 12v plug.

Jim Dow

Yes, I'm working on getting a more appropriate color for the tarp now. However, I did not let that deter me from using the trailer on this trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks