• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M123 and M125 10-tons

Mack Attack

Banned
Oh ya ? Prey tell what is it ? Every book I have seen lists it as a V300 or 785ci V8 the only 2 785 non-turbos I know are the V210 and V300. You should call up Krause publications and tell the book they printed is wrong.

Mack Attack

Banned
The M-123 Truck, Tractor, 10-Ton, 6x6 was produced in model variants that included:
M123 FSN 2320-395-1875. Dual rear winches. LeRoi T-H844 V8 Gas engine.
M123E2 FSN 2320-879-6177. Dual rear winches, Cummins V8-300 diesel.
M123C FSN 2320-294-9552. Single rear winch. Cummins V8-300 diesel.
M123D FSN 2320-542-2509. Dual rear winches. Cummins V8-300 diesel.
M123A1C FSN 2320-226-6081. Single rear winch, 36,000lb lift crane. Cummins V8-300 diesel.

The P1525 is also commonly known as the V300.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh ya ? Prey tell what is it ? Every book I have seen lists it as a V300 or 785ci V8 the only 2 785 non-turbos I know are the V210 and V300. You should call up Krause publications and tell the book they printed is wrong.

Sorry, messed up.

Mack Attack

Banned
Its ok, I was willing to accept being wrong myself had you proven otherwise. I just figured the book that covered all Mil-spec wheeled vehicles in depth and detail most likely wasn't wrong. The listing they had matches what olive drab has as well as the few 10ton truck manuals I have matched too. So I figured it was a fairly safe bet it was the 300hp 785ci V8 diesel built by Cummins known as the V300 by many and P1525 by a few.

Kalashnikov

The V8300 make 900ftlbs. They arent that expensive to own (purchase price) and maint is like any other big truck. They really aren't much different from owning a 5 ton or a deuce, just bigger. They are not that difficult to drive. And really, they are not that difficult to find. There wasn't much info when I was looking at mine. Mine leaks quite a bit from the front diff, the transmission some, front main seal is BAD, and the usual little leaks from the axles and PTO. I didn't bother with the stock fuel filters and upgraded to spin ons. FIrst was hard to find at the beginning but now it's not so bad. I learned to drive non-synchro on it while driving it home. Mine also does not have the exhaust air brakes fitted and it was used into the 80 by the Army, 85 IIRC. AMGeneral told me to watch out for these symptoms:

Driveline bolts working loose,1,R and high range have a tendancy to fly out of gear when they get worn

PTO and output bearings wear out quickly

Make dang sure the oil pump in the drop box works-See if the trans heats up quickly

Does it have the trans oil cooler in front of the radiator? MVO for the later trucks- It would be bolted to the upper grill section

Recognition of the leaking transmission syndrome is easy. As soon as you use the truck enough for the oil to heat up, it starts running out of the bottom of the bell housing profusely.

iatractor

The only real problem with this truck is the estrogen factor. It appears that money, time, and permission is being divested due to its presence. Owning a very large impractical vehicle will cure the estrogen poisoning that is happening in your life. That might be why I got into the military vehicle hobby before I even had a girlfriend, let alone a wife. Figured they can't tell you no when you already own it. Same goes for lots of good quality tools. Man up!!! Start searching for one of these and buy it. As long as you don't have to ask the banker, do it!!! You won't regret owning a military vehicle, especially a big one!!

teletech

I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that at 9'6" wide, they are over-width in some states. I know a guy who just sold a 10-tonner in CA and the buyer is having to go through some hoops to get it transported.
I guess a lot of them wound up down in Mexico working in quarrys.

teletech

Well, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense since some guys are trying to resurrect a 10-ton lately out of a yard in eastern CA. Perhaps they will be along to tell us which museum it's destined for?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anything over 8ft6 is overwidth in all states I believe. Just take the mirrors off and its fine. I got asked to transport one out of Texas awhile back.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense since some guys are trying to resurrect a 10-ton lately out of a yard in eastern CA. Perhaps they will be along to tell us which museum it's destined for?
My fellow club members are working on transporting 3 of them; I've donated parts & supplies for the impending transports. Eventually plans are for a museum, but for the time being they'll be stored on a member's property and 1 or 2 will be used in parades & shows around Las Vegas.

JDToumanian

..... Owning a very large impractical vehicle will cure the estrogen poisoning that is happening in your life. That might be why I got into the military vehicle hobby before I even had a girlfriend, let alone a wife....
This post made me laugh... My wife considers herself a "feminist". After 7 years with me, I think I've given her testosterone poisoning!

Jon

Nailhead

An M125 is my bucket-list military truck. Too big to be believed, to me it's the B-36 of trucks. That quality, and the fact that any red light-running idiot (this place is full of 'em) would be a stain somewhere on the front of truck really makes me want one. Someday.

123mack

Cab and doors are the same as 2.5 and 5 tons. Hood is same as the older 5 tons. Hole for steering column is in a different location. A former poster on here from Jacksonville FL bought my M123 gasser. This is a video of it. There is nothing wrong with the engine, that's just how they sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkDioE4UhY He has since sold it to a guy in Pennsylvania. Looks like he took it to a car show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PboT2o38qtE

MotorTMan

123Mack,
The M123 video on display at a car show was mine. I had bought it off the guy in Jacksonville some 7 years ago. After purchase, the truck was in poor condition, cracked door glass, windshields....I had replaced a lot of sheet metal like the fenders, hood, doors, etc.... not to mention the engine which had to be replaced. The brakes didn’t work, so all valves and components were cleaned and or replaced. After 4 years of working on it and a new paint job, the video was the end result. I got to enjoy MY hard earned work for 3 years driving it over 1500 miles and winning multiple vehicle shows. I sold it to a heavy equipment I just wanted to give credit where it’s due.

MotorTMan

Don’t know why it didn’t post, but I sold it to a heavy equipment transport company in Indiana, as they wanted to use it for display purposes and parades for advertising their company.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks