• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 RV Conversion

Another Ahab

Would you drive a separate ground from the trailer for the genny or is all the grounding tied together?
This is kind of a drift question, but the comment here reminds me:

- What are the straps you see under the rear of buses that hang down dragging onto the pavement (always in a pair), are those some kind of grounding straps or something?

RAYZER

You may have covered this before so I hope I am not asking you to repost something--Can you describe your electric setup as in UPS, transfer switches etc. It did look like you had a separate battery for starting the genny -correct? Any other special safety or controls such as remote start and stop, low fuel warning etc?

Would you drive a separate ground from the trailer for the genny or is all the grounding tied together?

I know I have said this before but you are doing an amazing job--hats off!!
Thanks!.
No ups controls, no external safety controls, the gen has them built in although I do have a remote start switch inside the trailer, propane for fuel.
I have a nice 50a automatic transfer switch I was thinking about using but decided not due to it having a circuit board and the simplicity of going manual using a jumper, if I can find a good manual transfer switch I would like to set it up so I can transfer power from inside the trailer.
The gen does have its own starting batt and requires an outside charging source, haven't addressed that yet.
You bring up a good point about grounding when not plugged in to the pole and running on gen power, I do have a ground rod that I use in that case.
All Power and fuel sources are grounded to the frame, have gfi breakers for the outside 15a outlets (not the one in the gen box), kitchen and head.
Just to be clear on the gen box electrical panel configuration, the bottom left 50a twist lock (inlet only) feeds directly to the house breaker panel, the other 3 outlets are 50a,30a,15a and are energized by the gen only.
Now, jumper cord from any of the 3 outlets from the gen to the 50a inlet for house power from gen, or plug from external power source to inlet for house power,
Or use the gen as a stand alone power source!

RAYZER

- What are the straps you see under the rear of buses that hang down dragging onto the pavement (always in a pair), are those some kind of grounding straps or something?
You usually see those on hoopty's in the hood!

rustystud

Having replace literally hundreds of those stupid straps I know what they are for. Yes they ground the bus from static electricity. You do not want customers grabbing the hand rails and getting shocked ! Buses can build up a very wicked static charge ! When we ran the first dual mode buses (Breda) we where very conscious of electric shock. Since they ran on diesel on the roads and on the 700volt power lines in the tunnels. They where equipped with special monitors dealing with stray voltage and where checked with special OHM meters every 4,000 miles. The meters also checked for insulation breakdown on the high voltage wires by blasting them with 100,000 volts at very low amps (miliamps) . One day I tested myself accidently ! I leaked ! I can still fell the weird sensation. It wasn't quite pain and yet it was terrible pain ! It made all my muscles contract so I couldn't move. Needless to say I was very careful from then on using that tester !

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A physics instructor told me modern tires do not have carbon/ carbon black in the rubber anymore. So there isn't the path to ground, as before. The bus scrapes off and stores electrons from the air as it moves through the air and the buses metal exterior acts as a big capacitor, storing that electric charge.
Without the grounding straps the charge would never be bled off, like it use to be back in the old carbon loaded rubber tire days.

tommys2patrick

Thanks for the reply on your genny setup. I am planning on doing something similar. UPS and an ATO would be sweet but expensive especially for such a small set up. Like you, I think manual would suit my needs and lifestyle just fine. I sure would like to see your rig in person. Bit of a drive for me though.

Hoopty's--Ha Ha--I can't help but laugh when I see them around town. Now they even have custom harleys with those ridiculous front wheels. Apologies if any SS members are a fan of them. Of course when I was a teenager everyone wanted a 57' Chevy with little Pirelli's up front and Mickey Thompsons out back and jacked to the moon. My dad used to chuckle at that.

Another Ahab

T

Hoopty's--Ha Ha--I can't help but laugh when I see them around town. Now they even have custom harleys with those ridiculous front wheels. Apologies if any SS members are a fan of them. Of course when I was a teenager everyone wanted a 57' Chevy with little Pirelli's up front and Mickey Thompsons out back and jacked to the moon. My dad used to chuckle at that.
Love them Rat Rods

car II.jpg

RAYZER

Good morning folks!
Getting settled back in from my 9 day 900 mile round trip to the GA rally (5 years straight)!
I'm happy to say that this trip was one very enjoyable and relaxing excursion, nothing broke on the truck, perfect weather, full campsite hookups and perfect neibours!
With the new upgrades, the trailer performed flawlessly with all systems providing comfort and convenience, brought the generator on line Several times! Big convenience!
Here are a few pics as promised of the kitchen area upgrades, I think with these couple of changes the kitchen now looks complete.
The wainscoting had to incorporate a hidden access panel for the water heater gas valve, I'm pleased with how it turned out.
The added wall cabinet was designed to hide all wiring, has a mirrored back, glass shelves, led lighting and will accommodate a 1.75 and then some if you know what I mean!uploadfromtaptalk1446392655637.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446392763276.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446392801289.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446392864962.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446392906824.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446392948294.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446392993645.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446393023407.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Good morning folks!
Getting settled back in from my 9 day 900 round mile round trip to the GA rally (5 years straight),

The added wall cabinet was designed to hide all wiring, has a mirrored back, glass shelves, led lighting and will accommodate a 1.75 and then some if you know what I mean!View attachment 591470
Hey RAYZER, always loving your posts because they're just so remarkable; refllecting your astounding genius.

A couple of questions, if you please:

- Do you ever meet any interesting people during the travel time to-and-from the Rally (figuring you must attract SOME attention with that killer rig of yours)?

- And also I lost my Code Ring, so what DO you mean by the "!.75" comment? (It went clean OVER my simple head)

Another Ahab

PS walkerhunter; I'm liking your avatar.

Especially considering you're the one to explain the "1.75". That's a hoot! :jumpin:

Last edited:

RAYZER

Ahab.
I'm meeting interesting people all the time when on the road with the Taj, especially when stopped for fuel,it's a big magnet!
I'm always willing and enjoy answering questions as to "what is it?" and will open the door so they can look in.
Heck, last year on the way back from the GA rally at a fuel stop I had 4 ladies standing inside admiring!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks