• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 RV Conversion

RAYZER

My wife cleaned my man cave and I can't find enything!
I had a floor plan,but I cant find it ,****,iv'e been looking for my toenail clipers for three days and I cant find them eather.
I'll see what I can do to come up with a diagram for the floor plan, I have been working on finishing the trim and the paint In the bathroom and have made good progress! Will post some more pics soon.:grd:

quickfarms

My wife is not allowed to clean my cave or shop.

By same token I do not organize her monster kitchen

If she did I would not be able to find a thing.

I have been told by a lot of peoply that my bathroom plans are to huge. I am planning on a bathroom between 36"x48" to 36"x 72" depending on the floor plan ideas and weather or not there is a sing in the bathroom.

The dimensions of your bathroom at 42" x 94" is spacius.

Please post the floor plan when you find it

armydad93

Hi Folks! Well I picked up this jewel of a m146 out of Warner Robins about 5 months back,my plans are to have her converted this year ( hopefully ) into a full blown self contained expidition vehicle with extended live in capabuilities.
Planed amenities are: ac, lp heat,lp stove and lp waterheater,full bath,closet,utility area,removable kitchenett unit,1/2 size frige,dinett,convertable couch bed, 5kw generator,12v house batteries,all lighting will be 12v,converter,inverter,fresh water tank,12v water pump,black and grey water holding tanks,waste pump,under slung tool and storage boxes,interior custom woodwork and no expidition rig would be complete without a leather recliner and flat screen! The work is under way and i'll keep the pics posted, any input will be considered and appreciated.
have you or anyone considered combineing a 818 and the 146 to one unit like a bus only off road and fording capable?

Last edited:

quickfarms

I bought my M146 for based on that exact plan.

But after putting the truck and trailer side by side I decided it was going to be way to much work.

The M146 does not have the rails on the bottom of the box like a standard truck mounted box. First we would have to support the M146 from the sides or sling it. Then we would have to remove the running gear. then we would have to fabricate the mounting rails. The existing bed would have to be removed from the truck. The frame of the truck would then have to be legnthened to 22 or 23 feet from the back of the cab. and then we could set it on the truck.

This is a lot of work just to get the box ont the truck.

My existing bed is set up to mount a 20 foot container without any modifications.

The M146 is going to be set up as a towed bunkhouse.

armydad93

I have access to this new RV tub/shower cheap and it will fit the space that i have available.should i use this tub or just go with a shower pan to save some space? would having a tub be an advantage?
unless your haulling a lot and i mean alot of water you dont need a tub id stick with a shower in a pinch you can make them quick gi showers to save water

armydad93

I bought my M146 for based on that exact plan.

But after putting the truck and trailer side by side I decided it was going to be way to much work.

The M146 does not have the rails on the bottom of the box like a standard truck mounted box. First we would have to support the M146 from the sides or sling it. Then we would have to remove the running gear. then we would have to fabricate the mounting rails. The existing bed would have to be removed from the truck. The frame of the truck would then have to be legnthened to 22 or 23 feet from the back of the cab. and then we could set it on the truck.

This is a lot of work just to get the box ont the truck.

My existing bed is set up to mount a 20 foot container without any modifications.

The M146 is going to be set up as a towed bunkhouse.
wouldnt it be easier to just add the running rails down the trailer from underneath. then do a broken frame connection to the tractor unit with nose wall of trailer right behind the cab. like a pick up bed. permanently attaching all airlines/ electric lines before hand. you would then have a single 20 plus (depending on tractor type and config) long 4x6 off road rv unit. i know its not very practical much like the picture i found for my sig lol. but i think its doable i mena if someone can make that fuel guzzling hemmt a camper anythings possible lol

RAYZER

unless your haulling a lot and i mean alot of water you dont need a tub id stick with a shower in a pinch you can make them quick gi showers to save water
Too late, Tub already installed! Its a nice rv tub with a corner seat(see pic),you can sit down to take a shower. I will have at least a 100 gal fresh water tank and should at times have presureized water hookup,then filling the tub if needed will not be an issue.

Pics and floor plan coming soon!

JDToumanian

Wow, I like it! Mine will be quite different...

I want a "short queen" sized bed (typical RV size) in the front behind the tractor. Then the bathroom in the middle area to one side. In the back on one side there will be a kitchen counter with stove, etc. and on the other side, a kitchen table that folds down flat against the wall. This will give me a nice big area to park my mule for travel.

So mine may seem 'spartan' by comparison. Also, I don't know about you, but I don't plan on making mine 'plush' at all... Sea-foam green plywood walls with black hardware and stainless steel appliances. I want it to look as much as possible, like it is not a conversion but rather came that way from the military. It will look like the interior of an armored vehicle...

Jon

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here ya go!!!! :grd:
Where's the big screen TV and the beer miser? I would think the beer miser would also have an outdoor tap too. You don't want a bunch of drunks stumbling through your palace and spilling beer in the floor! :beer:

RAYZER

Wow, I like it! Mine will be quite different...

I want a "short queen" sized bed (typical RV size) in the front behind the tractor. Then the bathroom in the middle area to one side. In the back on one side there will be a kitchen counter with stove, etc. and on the other side, a kitchen table that folds down flat against the wall. This will give me a nice big area to park my mule for travel.

So mine may seem 'spartan' by comparison. Also, I don't know about you, but I don't plan on making mine 'plush' at all... Sea-foam green plywood walls with black hardware and stainless steel appliances. I want it to look as much as possible, like it is not a conversion but rather came that way from the military. It will look like the interior of an armored vehicle...

Jon
I would like to see a floor plan of yours! I think whatever we do to our m146's to make them more accommodating for spending time in,will allow them to live on for us and others to enjoy! I had planed from the start to build mine as plush as possible on the interior,i had some materials to do so and wanted to use them up. The exterior, I was going to try and keep looking original as possible but already have a 18' rv pull out awning that will go on the r side, and underslung tool boxes for underneath.... So much for keeping exterior looking original:) I do like the idea of being able to transport a small vehicle in the back!

RAYZER

Where's the big screen TV and the beer miser? I would think the beer miser would also have an outdoor tap too. You don't want a bunch of drunks stumbling through your palace and spilling beer in the floor! :beer:
A beer tap on the outside would just promote patrons stumbling around outside your camp all night:beer: the big screen will be on the wall over the bench seat.... Right in line with the recliner:beer:

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A beer tap on the outside would just promote patrons stumbling around outside your camp all night:beer: the big screen will be on the wall over the bench seat.... Right in line with the recliner:beer:
True, the outdoor tap would need to be removable....

Are you going to have surround sound? Maybe a TV mount on the outside for those evening screenings of classic movies.

Have you come up with your holding tanks yet?

Looking good Ray.