• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M342a2 factory dump truck is now home

res0wc18

Yep something is for sure up with the valve body....I can't feel any positive detents besides off or up....and even unhooking the control rods and moving it by hand didn't make a difference there is simply no positive engagement in the power down....does anyone know about the pump and valve assem? Who was it made by etc?

ncduece

I have one of these trucks. when you pull the lever all the way forward it engages the pto and raises the bed. when you move it to the rear a little the bed will stay in position. move it a little further and the bed will lower. i have never noticed any positive detents. i can only feel when the pto engages as i have to ease out on the clutch sometimes to get the pto gears to mesh and engage. lower position is just forward of vertical on the lever

res0wc18

Ok. How much force does it take you to move the lever? On mine it is extremely hard to move.....the pump gears etc etc are lubricated by the hydraulic fluid correct?

ncduece

mine was very stiff when i first got it almost to the point of not being able to move it. my problem was in the linkage support bearings in the cab and under neath . spend a half hour soaking them in oil while moving it back and forth and will it probably solve your problem. mine now moves very freely. i did mine with engine off just make sure the pto gears are aligned. ie that the lever will move all the way forward while you are working back and forth

res0wc18

i will do this, but even when i unhook the linkage and moved the valve body lever by hand its harder than snot to move

also i found what appears to be a drain for the hydraulic fluid on the bottom of the tank.... not sure there is a way to drain the valve body or pump without taking it apart

res0wc18

so i got under the truck again and tried adjusting the tie rods...nothing.....so i un hooked the rods and moved it by hand....still harder than crap to move the lever, took all i had to move it....thinking something is wrong....so i coated the bejusus' out of it with aerokroil...hopin it does something

still have not found out anything about the valve body etc? anyone?

zak

I don't remember anything in detail in the TM's. You may have to look in the parts breakdown to see whats involved, but I betting it will have to come apart and be thoroughly cleaned.

res0wc18

I don't remember anything in detail in the TM's. You may have to look in the parts breakdown to see whats involved, but I betting it will have to come apart and be thoroughly cleaned.
where would the parts breakdown be located?

res0wc18

Is this what you are looking for? Check pages 552 and 590 in the 209-20
yes thanks. Can you explain to me how the TM's break down by the number? There is 8 manuals with the 209-20 in it? is there an easy way to tell what one youre referring to?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes thanks. Can you explain to me how the TM's break down by the number? There is 8 manuals with the 209-20 in it? is there an easy way to tell what one youre referring to?
Easiest way for me is that I have the manuals for the duece downloaded into my deuce manuals file. Manuals for the 5 tons in another separate file. Another file for miscellaneous TM manuals.

TM-9-2320-209-20P

TM-9-2320-209-34P has clearer illustrations. Group 20.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thank you very much sir!

on another subject, how are you guys doing youre bed sideboards?
Here are some pics of different M342 side boards. Most of the military installations I've seen the motorpool used super heavy/strong sign post for the standards. They were a tight fit for the bed pockets and were driven in. Pic #5 troop seat posts were being used. Some trucks use a pair of 2x10's with others using 2x12's. If you are not planning to remove them and use the truck for hauling bulk/loose material I would use some nice hardwood. If you plan to remove them and mount troop seats for parades and such you might want to consider a lighter wood, maybe even use treated lumber.

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thank you very much sir!

on another subject, how are you guys doing youre bed sideboards?

I have been running two 2x12 treated boards full length. I will be building a new set with the 3rd board halfway like pic #6 in my last post.
I do have a set of troop seats also.

Attachments

Last edited:

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow Ron, You have quite the collection of 342 pics. I recognize some of those, but not all.

I found a stock steel channel that was almost the right size. Had to grind quite a bit to get to fit. They are difficult to install and remove. I made a drawing of a formed channel from sheet steel. It would be a drop in fit, and would still allow for the use of the bows and canvas, like the troop seats. I had a local sheet metal shop quote me about $20 each. I told him to go ahead, but we both forgot about it.

I was using a treaded 2x12 I think. I recently had a neighbor give me some freshly "bandsawed" oak. (4 pieces rough cut 1 1/2 x 8 ) It is drying right now and hope to install someday.

I am torn because I want to be able to use the bows and cover, but that requires mounting the sideboards inward. (looks goofy imho) . I rather like the pics above that show the sideboards mounted directly above the stake pockets.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jeff!
My last 3 posts in this thread are of 14 different M342's and I have pics of more different units. Some were on GL, fleabay, craigslist, private, Steel Soldiers and even in SS classifieds at some point. I have some ideas that might work for what you might see for yourself in side boards.

As much as I would like to see this thread stay about M342's only, this Danish M624 deserves mention for having the same dump bed and a different idea for side boards.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that makes sense. so if i lock her in it shouldn't spin correct?
That is correct as long as the PTO is out of gear. If not adjusted correctly the PTO can still be in gear with the lock in place. With the truck shut off, put the PTO in neutral and reach under and see if you can turn the shaft. If you can turn it the PTO is in fact in neutral.

You shouldn't leave the winch lever engaged unless you're using the winch. It it is left engaged and you accidentally shift the PTO in gear, you can break a bunch of things.

res0wc18

so they look pretty much like fence posts to me that offsets them inboard and drill and bolted up. ive seen these type before, pretty sure.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the previously mentioned drawing I made for a potential side board post. It is a formed sheet metal channel that would still allow the use of bows and cover. The cross section dimensions will permit easy insertion into the stake pockets yet still allow staves (bow vertical member) to be inserted into the inside of the channel.

View attachment side post rev A.pdf

The length could vary to match the height of the side boards (within reason) and the user would need to add appropiate holes to bolt the side boards on. Carriage or flat head bolts would be required.

It might also be obvious that one could salvage / repurpose the side post from an M35 type troop seat as shown in the Winslow truck pic from Ron above.

winslow dump.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks