• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 A/C system

brainsboy

I just bought my first M35a2 a few months ago and turns out it needed a lot more work than I had originaly thought. I dont think the last guy did anything to it because it basically needed everything. Fuel filters were so clogged I cant even believe it was running. Master cylinder had no fluid in it, wheel bearings were bone dry and about to lock up and all the axle seals were junk. Im not a diesel mechanic so I think I have sent more time researching how to fix the problems and actually working on the truck. Anyhow, I live in Florida and thought I would do something more in my field of specialty so I added A/C to my truck. Took about two weeks to complete and really was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I have a mill and lathe so I made all my own brackets. I did some junkyard searching and found the perfect A/C blower assembly, the a/c lines and water drain were in just the right spots so it mounts nicely. I still have a few minor details to finish but sure is nice having ice cold a/c in my duece. I didnt add in any vents. Actually with no vents the blower motor has a crazy amount of air flow since there are not any restrictions of having to push air though air tubes. The entire cab cools down in seconds.
ac5.jpgac.jpg

Last edited:

brainsboy

Everything is dirty and messy right now because I wasnt even sure this was going to work, so I didnt bother cleaning up the junkyard parts. Since everything is up and working great I will clean up the engine compartment next week and replace the reciever dryer with a new one. Most of the parts were from a Kia and a Hyundai along with some custom a/c lines. I used this system because the expansion valve, blower motor, blower resister, and thermal resister switch are built into the box together which makes it easy to install.
ac7.jpg

Thats a great install. I would love to know what specific parts came from what as I am sure alot of other people would. The more info the better. Like what year make and model did each part come from would be awesome. I like this route better than taking a brand new military AC unit an chopping it up to make it fit.

w3azel

I'm so excited about this. Might get a build that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg or 20 phone calls to figure out my own cheap system that probably wont work.

tm america

Looks like a f series truck was the donor?I have been working on a ac kit for the m35 ..just working out a few small details ..total package will come in around 1200 bucks..and this is all new parts with heat as well..just gotta do a redesign on my 12volt alt kit..I'm gonna move the 12volt alt to the driver side of the engine so i can mount the ac compressor above the 24 volt alt where my 12 volt kit mounts now..i have a company that is gonna make the air box for me and i will make the rest of the stuff so it is a dirrect bolt in..Question ?how well does it cool without insulating the cab?

welldigger

Looks like a f series truck was the donor?I have been working on a ac kit for the m35 ..just working out a few small details ..total package will come in around 1200 bucks..and this is all new parts with heat as well..just gotta do a redesign on my 12volt alt kit..I'm gonna move the 12volt alt to the driver side of the engine so i can mount the ac compressor above the 24 volt alt where my 12 volt kit mounts now..i have a company that is gonna make the air box for me and i will make the rest of the stuff so it is a dirrect bolt in..Question ?how well does it cool without insulating the cab?
A guy down in Alexandria I know air conditioned several of his 5 tons with no insulation and he claims the a/c will frost the windows in August. If that is true here in LA then it shouldn't be a problem most anywhere else.

greg2560

the humidity is so high that is why it will fog the windows lol....Na never know <<< going to start looking for ac parts..I like the ford style with the orffice yube...as long as you can get about 20-30psi on the low side going to be cold.. Look at the PT chart for 135a freon

Another Ahab

If someone comes up with an A/C "kit", a plug-and-play unit that will function in a Deuce, I'd be a buyer (cost within reason). Anybody enterprising enough out there (including TNJ, Eastern Surplus, etc.) will likely find other buyers as well. Just sayin'...

welldigger

the humidity is so high that is why it will fog the windows lol....Na never know <<< going to start looking for ac parts..I like the ford style with the orffice yube...as long as you can get about 20-30psi on the low side going to be cold.. Look at the PT chart for 135a freon
Believe me I'm well aware of the humidity. Either way you still need a good temperature change for the fog to form.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also put a/c in my deuce and you can't run it very long on Hi or it will freeze you out! Well worth the effort. Not all that hard if you work on your on vehicle. I posted the install under "Air Conditioning a Deuce." I am working on a plug and play version. I used the A/C unit designed for the new family of military trucks. It has been in the truck since April and works just fine here in Florida!

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your A/C ideas sound great.

But, why couldn't a unit be make that is 24 Volt powered and mounts on the roof of a hard top
much like the ones used on RV's. May have to have a bigger alternator, etc. but should simplify
things. Seems the conventional units are to powerful and wasteful.

May have to insulate cab pretty good.

Your comments appreciated.

Orren

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks