• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Insurance.. Got it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustygears

USAA really screwed the pooch IMHO for me. 35 years, no claims, home & auto - 10 vehicles total as well as savings and credit card. I called them BEFORE purchase of my A3 to confirm that I could insure and get a quote - Nooo Problemo, 'ol buddy they said. They sent me a quote for some $350 per 6 months just PL/PD & medical. Seemed reasonable. I expected that many MV folks, as mil veterans, would also have a relationship with USAA because of their unique eligibility requirements and that this coverage would be a common request they would receive.

I then bought the Duce a week later, drove it home (they supposedly cover that since it was a Saturday) and on Monday the fun started. They denied to offer coverage and denied they ever quoted it (oops, I faxed the idiots a copy). Then after some stern discussion escalated through bureaucratic management, they said they didn't cover such big vehicles (BS). Then after I threatened to sue them because my purchase was based upon their OFFER to insure, they said they'd insure it 'as a courtesy to a long-time customer' for only the 1st 6 months - BS to them!

They then referred me to their internal "general agency" (broker) and said it would be $1200 per year as a commercial vehicle (even tough I stated it was private as a collector vehicle) for 500 miles max per year, only use during special events, only use within 100 miles of my home. Based upon the info I read on this site (and why I donated to SS later), I confronted them regarding their own brokerage and that they used Progressive, so why would I be so stupid as to insure through them and pay their markup and accept such inane restrictions? - oops busted again dumb#$%^s!

Again, based upon this site, I contacted the wonderful folks at Gulfway in FLA and they wanted only $384 per year for full coverage, no mileage or other restrictions as long as my use is strictly non-commercial (no problem!). I wrote a check and fed-X to them, emailed a few photos and coverage sent to me 24 hours later. My policy for "collector trucks' is issued through Travellers insurance, a reputable and established company.

Needless to say I'm preparing to sue USAA and move my home and 10 vehicles to another company and have my parents and two sisters also terminate their policies with USAA. They are advertising like mad on national TV and local radio. They are not the company they used to be and they have lost the principles that they were founded on as well as their credibility to stand behind their commitment to people that hold up their end by not making claims and are low risk, exemplary drivers. F-'em. I'm not going to beg them to take my money! Maybe the punk wizards there were sleeping in their instant MBA classes when they were supposed to learn it costs a lot more to acquire a new customer versus keeping and existing customer.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue with USAA and had a vehicle with them already. As for gulfway I suggest you read the fine print. They only cover you during parades or such, not daily driving or to/from an event. Also they usually require the vehicle garaged and locked as well. I'd rather you know and check then find out if something were to happen. I tried gulfway and thats what the guy told me straight up. Many others have gotten the same info. I went with statefarm in the end.

Varyag

I went through USAA and they said they couldn't do it but put me through to Progressive that did a commercial policy for 320 a year. No mileage restrictions and no load restrictions. I have about triple the state mandatory rate.

I thought about doing the historic route but I drive my truck to work and school frequently (I put 6k on my truck last year) and didn't want to be left high and dry if some idiot college student cut me off.

bigjmcconnell

Bump. I talked to Geico about adding my M35A2 (stock) to my policy and was quoted $500/yr with no restriction. They did say it would be evaluated at next renewal which probably means they would drop coverage.

I plan to check with Hagarty since I have my little Jeep CJ registered with them. I may be forced to go with antique plates to keep cost down.

Registered State is Pennsylvania.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im with State farm, do you have a hook up for your insurance guy..? I guess I can compare and save some $$$

jstier

I'm also w State Farm. My first quote was 450 every six Months. My agent submitted as an 86 Jeep. to see if it would fall through cracks for 46 every six month w full coverage. An M923 does fit through cracks very well so I ended up going Comercial vehicle for personal use, cause of the truck weighs 23000lbs. $200 every six months w PLPD and Comp.

Jeff
Fort Wayne IN

Whitey

Try Gulfway, talk to Carol. As long as it's not a daily driver there aren't issues. I also have two other primary vehicles for the commute and they do ask for the info on those on the forms.

jaymcb

Looked into State Farm. At least here in MA, not interested. Their website says "*State Farm does not actively market new business in Massachusetts and Rhode Island at this time." :(

Gulfway is my next call. I hope they come this far North

martinwcox

I am close to a purchase and went and asked my insurance broker, no issues with Antique plates, approx $300 yr for liability, with Encompass. Tha have my cars, Hummer H1 and Home Owner Ins.

As a point of interest, if you have State Farm in another state and move into MA, SF will continue to insure you, that is until you have a claim and then.......Goodbye!

Last edited:
After a lot of time chasing my tail trying to insure a Deuce resonably, Gulfway has been the choice.
Either Carol or Donna seem to have it under control. They were a pleasure to deal with.
The application and check were mailed yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks