• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 un-insurable

I have my fleet of cars, vans,trucks, and bikes all with GICO, and they would not insure my deuce. Neither would Progressive (said they did not do ex-military vehicles), even when I pointed out to them that they use a picture of a deuce in their adds on tv. Ended up with a commercial policy with State Farm at $166 every 6 months. Only restriction is that it is for recreational use only. Which is fine. That is all I have it for. Perhaps.the odd trip to Lowes or Home Depo, which is ok with them.

I'd say your problem is the DUI, oand it will probably be a.few.years before you can get insurance on a large truck. One thing that I did notice was that every insurance company has different rules for different states.

Last edited:

zout

I sleep with my insurance agent - its my wife who is a State Farm agent.

There are many threads on here about insurance - coverage costs - what deductables folks had - la de da da da - on an on. Even comparing companies as I had my .02 cents added in on that one. But it was not just because my wife works for this company. I have experience on how their coverages work. That is all I have to say about that as I am not going to start a rukus.

Driving record as you found out has a lot to do with costs.
Having other multi vehicles with the same company has to do with costs.
Type of vehicle has to do with costs.
What $ amount deductable you have has to do with costs.
What $ amount past the bare minumum of comp and collision has to do with costs.
Do not ever hide anything from your insurance company of your plans of what you do with it - you may find you have no coverage in the time of crisis because you were not truthful with them.

Yes you are paying higher costs for those that have screwed insurance companies over just because they think they are owed something to them.

Be sure to compare apples to apples and not pieces and parts and total dollar amount.
It took me no longer than an hour to get coverage and my plates for my M109A3. No hassle - no big questions and I have plenty of coverage and not just enough to get plates and on the road.

I am not going to throw stones at your problem you got yourself into - but I hope you can get past this and keep your truck.

Preacherboy

My suggestion is to simply contact every insurance company that you can (maybe up to 10), give them pictures of the deuce, give them an accurate description of the vehicle and its intended use...then be honest about your driving record.

The lazy ones or the ones who simply do not know will say, "We don't do that" even though many on here use that same company. The insurance agents who want to write policies will find a way (it might be expensive) to write you a policy.

So, with that being said, call about 10 different companies (and not the 1-800 #'s to get a quote from someone in New Delhi) and you will probably get at least 3 legitatmate quotes for you to consider.

Insurance is just like everything, get multiple quotes! (before we put the new boilers in our church I had 11 contractors come look at it, 2 didn't want to do it and I was able to get 3 bids that came to the surface as professional for which the deacon board chose the best one after a final interview) I'm only 28 and I have learned to constantly check and recheck prices. I shop around for car insurance every other year and car my agent at least once a year to see if he can lower the price.

Our church policy (best church insurance available) was running over $10,000 per year, I've had 2 other companies come in since 2006 and give quotes. Now we are paying a little over $5000 for the same coverage.

Paul Wolfe

Hi,
I own A farm, and insure mine as a farm vehicle. For PLPD coverage the cost is $66 per six months. If you are in a rural area, check into that option.

Paul

T

televisionman007

hey i have geico and all i told them was serial number name jeep model truck and weight 13000 pounds. they asked how much milage i was to use and i said 3000 miles a year and i habve insurance for 8oo a year
:driver:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't ever mention "ex-military" to the agent, if they want a picture let them figure it out themselves. Just give them the vin, model, gvw etc. That is another problem a lot of people encounter.

Riktord

State Farm insured for 1971 AMG M35A2...

$13 a month for liability. They consider it antique but due to the weight, Texas can only title it as a medium truck.

Whatever... She's legal and insured.

mckeeranger

Driving record as you found out has a lot to do with costs.
Having other multi vehicles with the same company has to do with costs.
Type of vehicle has to do with costs.
What $ amount deductable you have has to do with costs.
What $ amount past the bare minumum of comp and collision has to do with costs.
Do not ever hide anything from your insurance company of your plans of what you do with it - you may find you have no coverage in the time of crisis because you were not truthful with them.
Where you live also has a lot to do with costs.

I live in a rural area of Eastern KY where 4x4 trucks are frequently stolen. They are more expensive to insure here than say, Lexington KY. Lexington is only 40 miles away, but trucks and some cars are cheaper to insure if you live there.

Houses are the same way. For a few years I could not get State Farm to insure my home contents, because they had a freeze on new renter's and home policies. Why? I was told it was because there were so many houses burned for the insurance money, it was not profitable to write policies here.

Location does play a big part in insurance coverage and premiums.

I'm sure that does not help the OP, but it might explain why some insurance companies will cover trucks in some areas, but not his.

redjordan

I have a suspension and an exhibition of speed from about 4 years ago on my lic as well as several speeding tickets, nothing in the last 3 years though.

I literally JUST got off the phone with progressive, they asked me year, make, model, VIN, and weight, and what I planned on using it for (pleasure and recreation) and got it insured for $120 a year for liability only. I also have 3 other vehicles insured with them.

My deuce is insured!! Now to finish the rest of the stuff on it so I can drive it again!

Chief_919

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevin C

This is why I'll never drink, smoke any Mary, use any kind of illegal or prescription drugs (Even pain killers, I'll deal with pain) or talk on a cell phone while driving.

Once the system gets a hold of you, it's tough.

Good luck with getting insured. It'd be ashame to see you have to sell it because of such a reason. I'm pretty clueless here myself on which companies would insure you, I won't be buying my first MV for at least a good 10 months, and have an absolutely spotless record

scrapman

Helloooo, kbush. Your last response was decent and you presented your case & facts in a positive style. Yeah I can see where the state did drop the hammer on you quite heavily. Elsewhere on here someone did point out a fact that insurance operates differently in each state. No, I did not lie to my agent when I got my policy on the trucks. It cost me $1440 a year to cover just the 4 deuces. And no, I did not take a personal offense when you asked "Did you guys lie?" My insurance is good for anytime-anywhere & any use. The same goes for my tags. No BS stories or scams to get antique tags. LEO's can & have stopped me, DOT included and I have always been good to go after a paperwork & license check. As I had posted earlier, the only sure cure to your problem is time & $$$$$$$. By posting what the penalty by the state was and the problems with insurance, plus losing the enjoyment of your truck you may have changed the attitude of one person on here about D&D'ing this weekend. 3yrs from now this will be history and the misery will be gone. Watch your drinks & check your mirrors.

asgtoolman

I would not swear that Haggerty would accept that barn, but I could be wrong; I have all three of my MV's with them with full coverage at agreed upon value because their price is VERY reasonable [less than 500.00 per year total for all 3 vehicles] for the way I use my vehicles---- Personal use, parades, and club activities.
Thankfully my wife and I [they check out her also even though she does not drive the trucks at all] have 100% clean driving records for more than 5 years.
I did have to send pictures of my garages with the vehicles in them and multiple pictures of the vehicles and I explained that the vehicles moved from garage to garage depending on what my needs/ desires were at the time.
I was completely honest; they had the M-38 and M35A2 in their data base but added the M-274 when I submitted pictures and additional information.
I have had classic boat insurance with them for several years [also full coverage at agreed upon value] and have found them to be straight up as long as you are honest with them.
It makes me very comfortable to know I am covered for any situation.

Kohburn

i live near the DC metro area and got libility only from progressive for 280 a year (unrestricted use), they wanted 1300 a year for full coverage. I thought about also getting Gulfway for full coverage (128 a year) when sitting int he driveway or when involved in shows/etc. but they won't cover me when not show related so the progressive makes will handle that end.

anybody else double up on insurance that way?

bratpackdad

Well I've tried everything. Progressive doesn't mess with military vehicles anymore, Haggerty wants it stored inside (thats out) and all the others won't work with me due to a DWAI that I got in May 2009.

Anyone want to buy a nice clean Deuce in Colorado?!!
I have State Farm..

TexAndy

State Farm insured for 1971 AMG M35A2...

$13 a month for liability. They consider it antique but due to the weight, Texas can only title it as a medium truck.

Whatever... She's legal and insured.

You may not enjoy that low premium forever. I think there's a GVWR limit State Farm has for that cheap antique insurance. Friend of mine got it insured that way and they canceled the policy 3 months later out of the blue. I've got mine insured through state farm for like $190/6 months, but that includes 30-something dollars for comp and collision. Yeah, I know, but if I get a busted windshield sometime in the next 5 years, it'll be worth it.

OP... what is a DWAI conviction? Were you over the .08 BAC limit or whatever Colorado's particular BAC is? If you were able to pass the FST why did the cop even proceed from there? Why didn't he just ticket you for driving the wrong way down a one-way street?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks