• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 adding reverse lights

HDN

When I did the tire replacement on my truck, I found that multiple brass fittings were cracked. I was considering replacing them, but decided to remove them and put a tank valve in the 90 degree elbow off the tire stem since I don't plan on using the CTIS. All of them screw on and off, so if the elbow itself had a crack in it you could get a commercial replacement for it and be on your way.

Balalala

I like and appreciate the ctis, but not when the fittings are causing flat tires.

As it sits, it doesn't look like the 90⁰ fitting with be able to rotate without hitting the rim?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couldn't find a reversing light circuit in my 5-Ton TM's, so I rigged a momentary switch into an old metal housing and screwed it to the floor in position so the shift column would engage the switch in reverse. This is plugged into a 12V circuit that runs the length of my M813 to 4 LED lights and a reversing beeper. View attachment 895020
View attachment 895021

That's hilarious.....redneck engineering at its best.

If it's stupid, and it works.... it's not stupid..

HDN

I like and appreciate the ctis, but not when the fittings are causing flat tires.

As it sits, it doesn't look like the 90⁰ fitting with be able to rotate without hitting the rim?
There should be enough give in the air pipe to spin the elbow off. Going from my tire swap pictures, I installed the elbow after I attached the clamp ring to the rim (it has to be done like that anyway otherwise the clamp ring wouldn't fit around the elbow). The air pipe is fixed to the rim with a brass nut and a rubber grommet, and it's only tightened to 60 ft-lbs at the most, so there is some flex there.

Balalala

There should be enough give in the air pipe to spin the elbow off. Going from my tire swap pictures, I installed the elbow after I attached the clamp ring to the rim (it has to be done like that anyway otherwise the clamp ring wouldn't fit around the elbow). The air pipe is fixed to the rim with a brass nut and a rubber grommet, and it's only tightened to 60 ft-lbs at the most, so there is some flex there.
Thanks HDN

You've been very helpful. It does appear the jb weld is holding

Balalala

Hey HDN,

What kind of transmission fluid should I use? There is pink on the dipstick, so it is atf. Dex III is about half as much as synthetic dex VI. Not a big deal to spend an extra dollar on the synthetic, I doubt I will need do many fluid changes.

But I wouldn't mind changing out what's in it and putting in a clean filter.

Recommendations?

HDN

I believe most people here eventually switch to Dex III. I'm still using 15W-40 since that's what my truck came with at least until I really need to change the oil, at which point I'll probably change it over to Dex III. Other A3 and military Allison automatic owners here who are more familiar with the Dex III conversion (like @glcaines ) can share that experience better than I can. You can also search past threads about the conversion by going to Google and typing in

site:steelsoldiers.com M35A3 dex III

and get some good info :) I believe one of the benefits of using Dex III in the transmission besides smoother shifting is that it's not as harsh on the rubber seals as 15W-40 is.

Balalala

My deuce does shift nice and smooth with atf in it. I was wondering what benefits there were if any for running the synthetic dex VI in it

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told by Allison that the transmission was designed for Dexron 3 and that any other ATF, including Dexron VI, would degrade the O-rings and seals in the transmission, and cause premature failure. I'm running Dexron 3 in my A3 and it was a significant improvement over the motor oil. However, Allison also told me that Dexron 3 and motor oil were not compatible and that the proper way to switch was to do multiple drains, fills with Dexron 3, drive a few miles , including reversing, and repeat multiple times to make sure you get all of the motor oil out. Allison also told me that I could run Transynd in the A3 transmission, but the only advantage was longer periods between fluid changes. Transynd was way too expensive for me. My transmission shifts much smoother with the Dexron 3. Dexron 3 is no longer sold as Dexron 3 since General Motors de-certified Dexron 3. You have to purchase Dexron 3 compatible, which is the same stuff. I purchased NAPA brand Dexron 3 compatible, which is made by Valvoline (Ashland Oil), but much less expensive than Valvoline brand. I bought it in 5-gallon buckets.

Balalala

I was told by Allison that the transmission was designed for Dexron 3 and that any other ATF, including Dexron VI, would degrade the O-rings and seals in the transmission, and cause premature failure. I'm running Dexron 3 in my A3 and it was a significant improvement over the motor oil. However, Allison also told me that Dexron 3 and motor oil were not compatible and that the proper way to switch was to do multiple drains, fills with Dexron 3, drive a few miles , including reversing, and repeat multiple times to make sure you get all of the motor oil out. Allison also told me that I could run Transynd in the A3 transmission, but the only advantage was longer periods between fluid changes. Transynd was way too expensive for me. My transmission shifts much smoother with the Dexron 3. Dexron 3 is no longer sold as Dexron 3 since General Motors de-certified Dexron 3. You have to purchase Dexron 3 compatible, which is the same stuff. I purchased NAPA brand Dexron 3 compatible, which is made by Valvoline (Ashland Oil), but much less expensive than Valvoline brand. I bought it in 5-gallon buckets.

Thankyou so much!

Balalala

I see a set of 6 395/85r20 XML michelin tires here locally. They are on rims, but not the same rims as my deuce.

Will these tires swap over to replace the 395/85r20 ZXL michelins that I have on it? They all have cracks on the sidewalls and some between the treads as well.

Screenshot_20230420_232721_Firefox.jpg

Attachments

HDN

I see a set of 6 395/85r20 XML michelin tires here locally. They are on rims, but not the same rims as my deuce.

Will these tires swap over to replace the 395/85r20 ZXL michelins that I have on it? They all have cracks on the sidewalls and some between the treads...
Dry cracking is not ideal and it's common on military surplus tires, and some vehicle inspectors may have a fit if they see any tires with cracks in them. While there's a lot of steel cable and rubber in those tires, the sidewalls are only a half-inch thick at the most - something to keep in mind when inspecting for dry cracking.

I'd try to get some newer surplus tires from a reputable dealer. You can probably get six decent pre-loved ones for well under the price of a single new one. There's a good chance, however, that the tires will still be quite old and will dry crack soon if it hasn't happened already. Storing the truck in a building or using RV wheel covers may prolong tire life.

By the way - those look like FMTV rims. The FMTV uses that tire size, which seem to fit on a lot of different military two-piece rims.

Balalala

Just want to be sure - are you talking about the pipe-shaped beadlock inserts that come with the truck's with CTIS, or the actual big heavy rubber inserts that act like another wheel inside the tire?
My deuce has a 3 piece metal ring that bolts together inside the tire.

HDN

My deuce has a 3 piece metal ring that bolts together inside the tire.
Ok, that's a beadlock insert. If you're going to use CTIS, you need beadlock inserts since they keep the bead sealed against the rim at all times. If your M35A3 has its original 14.5R20 tires, it probably still has the original rubber beadlock inserts.

Another nice thing about the inserts is that it makes mounting the tire to the rim super easy since it keeps the bead from collapsing during the mounting process. I kept mine installed for that reason.

If, for some reason, your A3 didn't come with its rubber beadlock inserts, maybe the metal FMTV ones would work, probably as long as the air pipe gap in them is big enough to fit in an A3 rim. I don't know that for sure, though, as I've never done anything with FMTV rims or metal beadlock inserts.

Balalala

Ok, that's a beadlock insert. If you're going to use CTIS, you need beadlock inserts since they keep the bead sealed against the rim at all times. If your M35A3 has its original 14.5R20 tires, it probably still has the original rubber beadlock inserts.

Another nice thing about the inserts is that it makes mounting the tire to the rim super easy since it keeps the bead from collapsing during the mounting process. I kept mine installed for that reason.

If, for some reason, your A3 didn't come with its rubber beadlock inserts, maybe the metal FMTV ones would work, probably as long as the air pipe gap in them is big enough to fit in an A3 rim. I don't know that for sure, though, as I've never done anything with FMTV rims or metal beadlock inserts.

Ok I wasn't sure what that metal ring was. My deuce has XZL 395 85r20.

I went and looked at the XML tires, they are in great shape. Stored indoors except for the last few years. They have run flat something installed in them, the owner said.

Ideally I would be able to keep the beadlock insert as well as the run flat that is in the FMTV rim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks