• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 adding reverse lights

Balalala

Hello all,

I am finally off work for a bit, and trying to get my deuce set up to be legal on the road. I need to add reverse lights, I see there is a switch part # 568306.

I can't find any information about installing this switch, other than it mounts to the transmission.

Me deuce has a cat 3116 and the allison 5 speed auto transmission.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello all,

I am finally off work for a bit, and trying to get my deuce set up to be legal on the road. I need to add reverse lights, I see there is a switch part # 568306.

I can't find any information about installing this switch, other than it mounts to the transmission.

Me deuce has a cat 3116 and the allison 5 speed auto transmission.
5 tons put em In the shifter so that when you went into reverse it flipped the switch. Could find a take out 5 ton shifter tower from @Csm Davis or the port is on the passengers side. 7 o'clock from the pto cover if you just wanted to install a switch onto the transmission

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read through this thread there is a diagram from the TM posted in it .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 tons put em In the shifter so that when you went into reverse it flipped the switch. Could find a take out 5 ton shifter tower from @Csm Davis or the port is on the passengers side. 7 o'clock from the pto cover if you just wanted to install a switch onto the transmission
There was a kit of some sort for the M35A3 and covered in the TM , I posted a link for him .

HDN

I believe the M35A3 should've come with reverse lights already installed. Mine is #246 of ~5800 trucks built and it has them, and I don't believe it's from an MWO. The TM also points this out as an improvement over the M35A2. If you really don't have them, it's possible yours were removed by the military before the truck was sold.

Reverse Lights Note.jpg

The reverse lights are round white lenses next to square red parking lamp lenses.

Reverse Lights Location.jpg

Also, if your truck isn't modified in some way, it should have a 4-speed Allison AT1545P, the locking version of the AT545.

With features like this, I feel like the M35A3 is a truly modernized M35 without going full FMTV.

EDIT: Added another picture.

Last edited:

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couldn't find a reversing light circuit in my 5-Ton TM's, so I rigged a momentary switch into an old metal housing and screwed it to the floor in position so the shift column would engage the switch in reverse. This is plugged into a 12V circuit that runs the length of my M813 to 4 LED lights and a reversing beeper. 20221129_091857.jpg
20230412_022740.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Couldn't find a reversing light circuit in my 5-Ton TM's, so I rigged a momentary switch into an old metal housing and screwed it to the floor in position so the shift column would engage the switch in reverse. This is plugged into a 12V circuit that runs the length of my M813 to 4 LED lights and a reversing beeper. View attachment 895020
View attachment 895021
Neat idea!
Those stop blocks are pretty neat too behind the tires...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about the Spicer in the 5ton but in the 2 1/2 ton the shaft conveniently sticks out in reverse so it is possible to mount the same momentary switch (any starter switch will do) that @Wreckclues uses in the cross member under the floor. Same functionality but more discreet.

For stop blocks, I hear that two used Prius work really well.

Balalala

Thankyou for all the replies!

The white lens' are missing, and they were painted over. Couldnt see them thru the camo! I ordered some new lens' for them and some bulbs.

Last edited:

HDN

Must be for the air breather escape on the air assisted steering!

Is there a part number for this?
It's not very obvious in the parts TM because it's referred to as a duct. NSN 4720014140333 part # 55125K131

If it's frayed outside of the engine compartment you can use a flexible rubber/plastic hose, a hose barb, and hose clamps to connect the air steering cylinder to the hose (see my post here). That would save you a few bucks and do the same thing. If it's in the engine compartment, you'll probably want that part or a similarly high-temperature hose. Alternatively, you can remove the hose at the air cleaner and cap the opening, which would probably be better, especially if you aren't planning on fording or don't mind the noise of the air-assisted steering system.

The main problem with this setup is that the air from the steering cylinder is returned to the motor after the air cleaner, which means dirty air can get into the motor easier. When this hose is broken, the motor is drawing dirty air.

Balalala

Thanks again guys. I used a piece of 1" black plastic hose I had in the shop. I ran it from the air outlet all the way into the engine bay, and then connected it back to its original duct hose.

My deuce made its first trip to town! It is going in for a commercial inspection. Having a bit of a struggle up here in Canada trying to get it registered. Should know more in the next couple days.20230417_132403.jpg

HDN

Thanks again guys. I used a piece of 1" black plastic hose I had in the shop. I ran it from the air outlet all the way into the engine bay, and then connected it back to its original duct hose.

My deuce made its first trip to town! It is going in for a commercial inspection. Having a bit of a struggle up here in Canada trying to get it registered. Should know more in the next couple days.View attachment 895495
You need to post more pics - that looks like a nice truck!

Can you get any leeway with registering as a historical vehicle? Of course that probably depends on how you're going to use the truck too. Perhaps a few of our Canadian members here like @cattlerepairman or @m1010plowboy can chime in.

Balalala

You need to post more pics - that looks like a nice truck!

Can you get any leeway with registering as a historical vehicle? Of course that probably depends on how you're going to use the truck too. Perhaps a few of our Canadian members here like @cattlerepairman or @m1010plowboy can chime in.
Right now the name of the game is getting any sort of registration. I made the mistake of saying I might take it off road or to a mud bog and the insurance company denied me because of it. So for the record, the truck will be used for going to the ice cream shop.

Only 700ish hours on this truck according to the guages. I drove all over canada looking at deuces, I'm very happy I didn't buy the first couple I looked at.
20221030_134014.jpg

Attachments

Balalala

Had a leak in drivers side front tire. Finally got some soapy water and found the culprit.

Doesn't look like this fitting would be easy to replace, so I opted to try jb weld to seal it up.

Truck has manual locking hubs in the front, and the metal guards have been removed. I'm thinking I should remove some material so i can put the guards back on.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks