• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 "creating" legroom

nattieleather

Well, for what my $.02 is worth. The first truck would give you plenty of leg room. You could get a custom seat and be sitting pretty, but it wouldn't be stock and needs a lot of work. Truck #2 needs a lot of work, but is retorable as is #3. Any MV unless you spend the money for a restored one is going to cost beyond the initial purchase. The last truck (#3) I think I would offer 1500-2K and see if he bites.

recorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does any one know if a m151a2 steering wheel can be retrofited to a dodge m37b1 , this would give more leg room for left leg to depress clutch , or any other smaller wheel such as a 15 : wheel truck now has power steering conversion

BrutusM37

I have a smaller steering wheel in my M37 (came off an S10 I was told) and I can fit my knee in between it and the door. Definitely going to want power steering if you go with a smaller wheel.

recorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m37 smaller steering wheel

I have a smaller steering wheel in my M37 (came off an S10 I was told) and I can fit my knee in between it and the door. Definitely going to want power steering if you go with a smaller wheel.

thanks for info will go to scrap yard pick up a s10 steering wheel and try it

i did install power steering from snake river works great found correct fan belt to use with set up it is# daybx552 it is agricultural belt made by thermold select
bx52 guess 52 represents length but works well , another note is that my m37 is a 12 volt system with generator

BrutusM37

Before you go grab that S10 wheel, be advised, I have the entire S10 steering column installed in my truck. Here is a pic of the leg (knee) room I have. steeringwheel.jpg

recorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for heads up // im looking at steering wheel of my m151a2 its smaller and is molded in upward direction would be perfect , will work on removing and try to see if it would work on m37,, might have to do some modification

ill takes some picks when i check.

also does anyone of a good shop in new york area for gear swaps for m37

thanks
terry

nattieleather

Well, if you have a machine shop at your disposal then the 151a2 wheel might work. The hole size and spline count are different than the M37s. If you do get it to work please post up about it with lots of pictures.

recorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m37 steering wheel change

Attachments

Last edited:

recorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m37b1 sgteering wheel change

used a steering from a m151a2 which is about 15 inches and shaped in upward angle.
the jeep steering wheel had to be bored out to approx 20.7 mm and then pressed fit
on to m37 colum shaft
before installing wheel i placed a brass washer which is size you can use as in a lock rim cyl
that acted as a crush washer which i lubed with some greese
then installed wheel and slotted shaft and wheel for a key way as you no longer have
splines on jeep wheel. insterted wheel snd keyway tapped in placed loc k washer added some
locktight to threads and ran down nut on wheel
this wotrked good for me with power steering no stress on wheel, next project to get jeep horn ring figured out to work for horn
hope its helpful took about four hours

terry

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
get something to drive NOW if you want to drive...................
An example from SS http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?132576-WTS-1970-M35A2-W-W-immaculate
Shop around, keep looking, lots of good drivers right now.
Work is WORK. Would you like to drive for next 5 years or fix for 5 years?
Work is work. Materials, Oh I forgot, try Hemmings motor news........................
Shopping for new car or an old car is still shopping. Be careful........
I have now overstepped the boundries of space and time and will probably get vaporized.

Oh
and I appropiated this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEt-OmuHKss#t=121

Last edited:

frank davidson

this is a little late but there is an adj. for clutch pedal lay under drivers side you will see the clutch pedal conn to a shaft loosen that now two set screws opposing each other adj to lower pedal to suit rf tighten to shaft i lowed mine about 2 inchs helps alot im 6 ft 285 also you can chang driver seat to cousion seat and back.

NAM VET

in my rebuild, I just adjusted the clutch pedal free play per the TM, which brings the clutch pedal up pretty high, and since i am 6foot 2, it is pretty cramped for my legs. I think I may re-adjust it to sure disengage the clutch, but be lower, maybe I don't need so much of a pedal arc to release the clutch.

NAM VET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks