• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M812

mangus580

I have the chance to help a friend purchase an M812. It is not running, but has an engine in 'the can' for it. It has the front winch, and looks pretty complete.

couple of questions

what is a fair price for such a beast?

what are the bed dimensions? (he wants to make a flatbed/dump graintruck out of it)

does anyone have any good pics of one? (want to show him pics of what one looks like before we drive an hour to see it)

anyone happen to have a PDF of the -10 tm for it?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
A while ago, I offered to coordinate a deal for M812s...all running and still in military service (not through GL or GSA). Unfortunately, no one replied and the deal passed. I could have had as many as 15 trucks for $6,500 each. The only drawback is that I had to purchase several...not just one or two (in other words, enough to make it interesting for the dealer to get the trucks). I don't think you'll find a running truck that cheap. I would think the truck you mention might go for less, but you'll have to put time and money into it.

mangus580

The guy wants 4000 for it... I assume it is probably worth that. In my quick passing at looking at the truck, it looked probably in better shape than my deuce is. He was going to do the work himself and keep it, but has way too many projects. I have a friend who has been looking for a 5 ton for his farm, and this one might just be the ticket. Esp since it essentially is a roll-off, and he could use it for many different things.

any idea what kind of capacity the hydraulic hoist has? one of the things he wants a truck for is to make a 'grain truck' out of it. I am trying to decide if the roll-off hoist can lift a large amount...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think, but am not sure, that the rear winch is rated at 20,000 pounds...same as the front winch. $4000 is reasonable, especially if the motor comes with it.

mangus580

Width, lets talk about how wide this sucker is.... what makes it so wide? (how wide is it to be exact?) is it just the rollers on the rear corners that cause to be an issue? I assume that the dual 14-20's keep it within legal limits? Does anyone know about dealing with an overwidth vehicle in NY?

M1075

Mike-

I have been interested in getting a bridge truck for a while. Either an M812 or M945. I think the M821 may be one as well??? I read something about 135" overall width, but that may be with mirrors. I believe the headache rack, bed and the tires are all overwidth. It can get down to legal limits with modifications.

Please keep the board posted with your findings.

mangus580

you believe the tires are? I am a little confused about how you have it worded... :banghead:

I did look up overwidth requirements here in NY... it seems that for farm use, a year permit could cost less than $400 a year, then it would be required to have the 18" square orange flag on each corner, and the oversize banner on front. I will be looking into it some more though, as it is going to be for farm use...

plus... if the tires will be fine, everything else can be fixed easy... the guy that wants it is a welder by trade :hop: so he can do just fine.

mangus580

farm which requires a detailed route? I think in the end, he is going to make the truck narrower to suit. It just makes sense. How wide is the 10ton? I cant seem to find much info on it readily available.

mangus580

hee hee the truck I am talking about is 135!! do you know what the exact legal width is for ny? I had stumbled upon 96.... but if thats so, how are all those 102" snowmobile trailers legal?

red devils dude

here is dimensional Data for a 10ton
Wheel Base...181 1/2"
Cab to Trunnion...108"
Cab to End of Frame...13' 3"
Frame Height... 52"
Width...115"
Weight...30,395 Lbs

those M812's are WIDE :devil:
p.s M812 has a 12,000lb winch in the rear

M1075

M-812A1
Engine: Cummins Diesel NHC 250
Torque: 658 Ft.-lbs. @ 1500 RPM
Transmission: Spicer 5 Speed Manual (Model 6453)
Transfer Case: Rockwell 2 Speed (Model T138)
Front Axle Assy: Rockwell # FM 240HXI Series, 18,000 lbs. Ratio 6:44
Rear Axle Assy: Rockwell # M240 HX4 Series, 44,000 lbs. Tandem Ratio 6:44
Power Steering: Ross HP 70 Series
Tire Size: 14:00 X 20 or optional 11:00 X 20
Wheelbase: 215 inches.
Brakes: Bendex, Air over Hydraulic
Winch: Front: PTO, 20,000 lbs Rear: Hydraulic, 20,000 lbs.
Frame: Double Frame, C/W Rear Pintle Hook for trailer towing

M945
Engine: Cummins Diesel NHC 250
Torque: 658 Ft.-lbs. @ 1500 RPM
Transmission: Allison Automatic, 5- Speed, Model MT 654CR
Transfer Case: Rockwell 2 Speed (Model T138) Manual air shift front axle drive engagement
Front Axle Assy: Rockwell # FM 240HXI Series, 18,000 lbs. Ratio 6:44
Rear Axle Assy: Rockwell # M240 HX4 Series, 44,000 lbs. Tandem Ratio 6:44
Power Steering: Ross HP 70 Series, and hydraulic assistance cylinder via a belt driven pump.
Tire Size: 14:00 X 20 or optional 11:00 X 20
Wheelbase: 215 inches.
Brakes: Bendex, Air Actuated, Self-Adjusting
Winch: Front: Hydralic, 20,000 lbs Rear: Hydraulic, 20,000 lbs.
Frame: Double Frame, C/W Rear Pintle hitch for trailer towing.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The street legal limit is 102". The M812 truck, itself, is 114" wide, not including the mirrors. What M1075 said was correct...the truck is overwidth because the 1400 X 20 duals and the bed are 114" wide. If you removed the bed and mounted 1100 X 20s, you'd be legal. 1400 X 20s are HUGE. These are the same size tires that are on the singled out 5 tons...except they are mounted as duals on the rears! $4000 is a good deal. If you choose not to buy it, I am interested...let me know.

mangus580

I wonder if I can get the seller to put 11-20's on it... he has tons of them on rims about 50% tread. Which would be better? 14-20's on singles? or 11-20's duals? I think this truck is going to be about 75% road, and 25% following a tractor around a field catching sileage from a corn chopper....

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other thing you have to consider is the bed. You can't get around that unless you want to modify the bed...or mount another bed. Assuming you leave the bed on it, I'd leave the 1400 duals on it. You'll definitely increase your floatation, which is important if the truck will be used in fields.

If you don't want it, let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks