• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820A2 is home safe...Now it's time to check her out!

2823Marine

I cannot believe how incredibly cool these pictures are!! I am a 2823 in USMC and we work in similar shelters but I am a HUGE fan of old gear and military history. I love the picture of the Datsun in front of the vans. Thank you so much for posting these. I will post some picture of the modern day real deal when I can.

I'd like to pick up one of those trucks one day to make a mobile machine shop I have to many ideas and no where near enough funds well I'm going to start buying and selling stuff by the end of the summer so ill be one step closer to begining some of my ideas p

LOL OK. For those that of you that are admiring the M820 rather than prior users, MOS 35H (now something else since they reorganized the MOS numbers) is small enough that you usually know someone at any post you wind up at. The question was worth asking. :)

Kalbrman

When we were driving our M820s between Seoul and Camp Carroll in Waegwan, Korea, the Korean drivers were careful to give us lots of room. That 5-ton was a lot bigger than their 'Kimchi cars' and they knew that they were sure to lose if they had tried their 'I have the right of way if my bumper is in front of yours' tactics.

I might suggest obtaining some sort of thick polyethylene sheet and gluing it to the Underside of the battery box covers to prevent any chance of short circuits. Polyethylene is very tough and there's little chance of something rubbing through it. I would use something at least a couple millimeters thick.

I don't remember what the lever for the PTO looks like, but it would be good to do something that you can cover the gearshift lever with whenever the PTO is engaged. That would ensure that you are reminded to disengage it before putting the vehicle in gear.

Kalbrman

How to expand the van.

I'm doing this mostly from memory. I used M820 vans about 30 years ago.

1. Unhook the safety chains that are attached to the sides of the liftgate.

2. Lower the tailgate to the ground and remove ladders. The liftgate is controlled by two levers. One with a red plastic coated handle and controls the tilt of the liftgate. The liftgate is raised and lowered by attaching a handle to the bent levers under the back corners of the box. To lower the liftgate to the ground, engage the PTO. Tilt the liftgate to its horizontal position by pushing the straight lever with the coated handle towards the rear. The tailgate is lowered by attaching a handle to one of the bent levers and lifting up first to disengage the safety locks. Then lower the tailgate by shoving the lever down.

3. The M820 has four leveling jacks. The leveling jacks go under the corners of the box when expanded. The leveling jacks are not required, but they make the box much more stable. Because of what we used them for, our vans required them to be leveled before we could start working. Remove the 4 leveling jacks and base plates from their storage location behind the cover under the center of the back doorway.

4. You have to open the two back doors to access the cranks to extend the sides.

5. First unlatch the safety latches at the lower corners of the box. I believe that there are cotter pins holding them. At each corner of the box, there is a hinged rod (about 4 or 5 feet long) that is used to secure the box sides when expanded. Keep the rods safely out of the way until the box sides have been extended and cranked tight again.

6. The crank for the doors is supposed to be stored in a bracket fastened to the door (if missing, you can use a large wrench with socket and extender). Put the handle on the hex shaft and flip the lever to disengage the pawl so that the sides can be cranked out. Crank the sides completely out. Flip the hinged side panels out from inside at each corner. These need to be out of the way so that the floor and ceiling panels can be opened.

7. Duck under the opened side and reach up to the center of the box and unlatch the Floor/roof panels.

8. Pull the floor out and down until it rests on the rails that are supporting the extended sides (you might need to get inside the box and push the floor/ceiling panels out.) The roof panel is linked to the floor panel by cables and will flip up at the same time as the floor panel lowers.

9. Now flip the side panels hinged at the corners back in to enclose the box corners. Climb into the box. There is a metal guide that can be extended to help keep the corner panels aligned when closing the box sides.

10. There are 3 hooks (attached at the upper edge of the sidewalls) that should be extended (pointing toward the center of the box). Push up on the ceiling to extend the hooks. These will help guide the ceiling panels when the sides are cranked in.

11. Flip the ratchet pawl. Slowly crank the sides all the way in, paying careful attention to the corner panels.

12. Climb inside the box and fasten the roof latches to the hooks at the upper edge of the sidewalls. There are 3 of them on each side.

13. When the sides have been cranked in and the roof latches fastened, you should lower the hinged rods on the outside corners of the box and use them to tighten the corners down with the safety latches that you first unfastened in the beginning.

14. Install the leveling jacks (if desired) by attaching the baseplate and attaching the top of the jack to a mating flange under the box corners and twisting it to lock it in place.

15. As these vans are prone to leaking, it is best to have a tarp that covers the entire top of the van to keep out the rain. Tie down the tarp to keep it from blowing away in the wind.

When closing up the van for moving, reverse these steps. Attach the ladders to the back doors and secure (if not stored inside the box). Ensure they are kept from moving around by using ropes and/or bungees. I think they have some screws and washers that help to fasten them down. To stow the liftgate, raise it and tilt it up vertical. Try to lower it again to ensure that the safety locks have engaged. Disengage the PTO. Attach the safety chains to the edges. Stow the lift handles.

The liftgate can be used as a raised platform if some kind of bracing is used under it and a safety chain put around the sides. There should be some holes around the sides of the liftgate for posts linked together by chains. The ladders can then be attached to the sides of the liftgate. Alternately, the ladders can be attached to the side doors.

Last edited:

jaym820

Hello my name is jay I have the same truck however I was missing the ladder stepps snd the lift gate . However I noticed the back storage under the rear door of yours has what looks to be feet or stands of some kind what are they and what are they for?

hailstone

how do you like the fold out? Is it what you expected? Or would you have gone with the M109 box? Sorry for the questions but I've just started looking for one.

goldneagle

how do you like the fold out? Is it what you expected? Or would you have gone with the M109 box? Sorry for the questions but I've just started looking for one.
I sold that truck a few years ago do to money needs. I just got another one end of last year for much less. I missed that truck! The best part of it for me was the liftgate. Only comes in the A2 version. Makes a great work platform and as a draw-bridge between trucks when transferring freight between trucks.

The expanded part is a little pain. You really need at least 2 people to get it done. Otherwise its hard to line up the ceiling panel with the extended walls. Usually the plywood for the extended walls is water damaged. The rubber seal when closed is not good. Also since the interior side walls become the floor and ceiling for the extension you would have to keep all the camper modules moveable.

The way the military used these it was layed out with the tables in the middle and seats against the side walls. That would not be a good camper layout in my opinion. You could leave the walls retracted and just use the 8' x 17' space plus over the cab as the camper. You could use the back door for entering-since the side doors can only be used when expanded.

duckylucky

What is the difference between the M934 and M820?
I wonder what modifications are needed to live in one.
How high is the ceiling in the back?
Thanks.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looking for the fuel filter mod you metioned. i would like to see some pics with info on it.. i am wanting to swap the one on my wrecker

goldneagle

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks