• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 transmission fluid?

spicergear

I'm going to swap out the engine oil from my Allison and was wondering if this is okay? Dex III / M. Back of container says its compatible with all earlier Dex I & II's. $15/gallon. ??????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

According to TM 9-2320-356-ND the standard oil is engine oil HD0-10 in the transmission, according Mill-spec MIL-L-2104 and NATO equivalent 3-6P-304.
Acceptable porducts are 0EA-10, Dextron, DextronII. Emergencie subsitute any 10W to 30W oil. Last resort for all lubes are brake fluid , turbine oil, hydraulic fluid, Diesel fuel, cooking oil or at the least simply water.
Hope this helps
Wolf

spicergear

WATER? Wow! I realize that's extreme emergency condition but ouch for all the parts touching!

Thanks, I'll see what 5 gallon buckets I can find.

Thanks guys!

engineer233

I was recently at the local national guard depot in town asking a few basic questions about a M923 before I go and pick up my truck. He said dextron III would be the preferred in the trans or even run farm tractor TDH (trans, diff, hydro fluid ) would be ok.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to flush out the 10w several changes will be necessary. Today I got a price on TranSynd from
"TruckPro" of $208/5 gal pail which I`m not going to use for flushing. Will use Dexron III for a while. Also, another question, how will you know when all the 10w has been flushed? By color? How much is the Dexron III?

Barron

The Axles and X-fer case is 80/90, The military used #10wt engine oil, not 15/40. If you go to the Allison Website, they call out TES-295 oil, which is synthetic, and made for that tranny. I couldn't find Dex III mentioned at all on the Allison site. #10 wt oil has very poor operating properties especially under high heat/hauling.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to flush out the 10w several changes will be necessary. Today I got a price on TranSynd from
"TruckPro" of $208/5 gal pail which I`m not going to use for flushing. Will use Dexron III for a while. Also, another question, how will you know when all the 10w has been flushed? By color? How much is the Dexron III?
I think it is a mathematical type thing. Talk to the Allison techs, but I believe I was told that they can only get like 80% of the fluid out when they drain it. So, if that is correct (adjust the percentage if my quote is wrong), after you change it, 80% is DexIII and 20% is still 10W. So, change it again, and now another 80% of DexIII is swapped in...and I am not doing the math with a calculator...but, estimating it, you'll have like 90% DexIII on the next change and so forth. It will take multiple changes to completely swap out the fluid.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a M923A1 and have been reading all of your posts. I am going to pick the truck up whenever the EUC goes trough. If the transmission needs to be topped off for the drive home what 10Wt oil should I use, (10w30,10w40, etc)?

Barron

the lube order calls for straight 10Wt Napa can get it. I suppose the multi viscosity will work in a pinch.

Hoefler

Andy,
I found Fleet Farm has ATF in 1, 2 and 5 gallon containers. Label shows its rated C4 Allison, Dex3 and more. About 9 dollars a gallon.
Pete

Barron

That will work fine. Allison no longer publishes Dex III or C-4 in their lube recommendation since they came out with the Expensive synthetic :beer:TES-295 fluid, but the transmissions don't know that.

wsucougarx

I was at Costco the other day and checked out their stock. They had Chevron ATF MD-3 for $31.99 for a case of 12 qts.
It states the following:
-Recommended for automatic transmissions for which former DEXRON-III fluids are specified (revision G and earlier).
-Formulated for applications that call for the former
DEXRON
®-III H, MERCON® , and Allison C-4 fluids.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took my truck to Allison and, while they tried to push their synthetic, they also said that DexIII was fine. That is what I went with. By the way, the truck had 10W oil in it when I got it. it will take multiple fluid swaps to get almost all of the 10W out.

Hoefler

How was your 2 to 1 downshift? Mine shifts well except for the 2 to 1 downshift-its harsh. Recently picked my truck up from Sparta-drove it home and found her to be a decent truck outside of the harsh shift point and a slow speed growl type noise around where the front carrier bearing is. Have not found the exact source of the noise yet. First things first though.
Could you report any shift change after the fluid change?
Pete

spicergear

All the time or when it's cold? I've not swapped out for the ATF yet and until mine warms up plenty the shifts are real bangs. After it's warm, nice and smoothe!

Hoefler

Its cold up here and have not driven her enough to get transmission warm. I did however drive her home 180 miles and found the 2 to 1 a real harsh shift. It was a cold day and no load so perhaps transmission was not warmed. I plan on doing the trans fluid here in the next couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed. If still harsh, looks like a trip to Allison shop is in order. Hope not though.

emr

[QUOTE=PowerstrokeNC... Is there any reason to switch?

The answer to this question is no, But there are personal preferences on all fluids, Now...10wt has been doing the job in all climates world wide since the beginning of these trucks, there has never been alerts about any failures because of fluids ever. 10 wt is the power steering and the winch too, I prefer to only carry one fluid with me for all, The wreckers in service for a very long time have been using 10wt in hydraulics for years and also work rather well, the hydraulics and transes in the armored things in this shop by me all use 10wt today, so the answer to a question if it is """does it need to be something different""" , its no,"" but its your truck, and if u feel better with something more expensive and a I am sure a better product , do it, but these trucks will work just as good on 10wt in my eyes. proof is in the time tested in theater world wide . all the best :)

dougski

Allison Doc and oil to use.

been reading and reading till blood was coming out of my eyes. All over the place " Mechanic at Allison trans said...bla bla bla." My buddy said the same bla bla bla. Oh dont for get her, him them, dog, cat and the rat. Im sure I forgot somebody....sorry. aua

Now with hours of digging, here is what I found at a buried link at Allison.

Quote "1–6. RECOMMENDED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
AND VISCOSITY GRADE
RECOMMENDED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID AND
VISCOSITY GRADE — NON-MT 643R TRANSMISSIONS
Hydraulic fluids (oils) used in the transmission are important influences on
transmission performance, reliability, and durability.
• The following transmission fluid and viscosity grades are recommended.

—DEXRON®-III fluids for standard duty, on-highway applications
—Type C-4 fluids (Allison approved SAE 10W or SAE 30) for severe duty
and off-highway applications
—Type C-4 SAE 30 for all applications where the ambient temperature is
consistently above 95°F (35°C)
—Type C-4 SAE 30 for dropboxes
• Some DEXRON®-III fluids are also qualified as Type C-4 fluids. To
ensure the fluid is qualified for use in Allison transmissions, check for a
DEXRON®-III or C-4 fluid license, or approval numbers on the container, or
consult the lubricant manufacturer. Consult your Allison Transmission dealer
or distributor before using other fluid types; fluid types such as Type F, and
universal farm fluids may or may not be properly qualified for use in your
Allison transmission.

CAUTION: Containers or fillers that have been used to handle any
antifreeze or engine coolant solution must not be used for
transmission fluid. Antifreeze and coolant solutions contain ethylene
glycol which, if introduced into the transmission, can cause the clutch
plates to fail.

CAUTION: Disregarding minimum fluid temperature limits can
result in transmission malfunction or reduced transmission life."

http://www.allisontransmission.com/documents/test/MT1357EN.pdf

Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks